Pelle Lindbergh ( WHAT??? )

Joseph M. Dakes

Nov 12, 1985, 9:55:41 AM11/12/85
> I can't believe what I just read in this morning's paper!!
> Pelle Lindbergh, the goalie for the Flyers, has been declared
> "brain dead". No this is not some sick joke. He apparently
> was in a car accident in New Jersey and suffered severe brain
> and spine injuries. It doesn't say when this happened, I assume
> it was yesterday (Sunday).
>
> John O'B

Sadly it is true. I'm sure everyone knows the story by now but here is the
latest I heard on the Philly news last nite:

Pelle is connected to a life support system. His fiancee, mother and
father, who just flew in from Europe, are left to make the very difficult
decision of removing Pelle from the life suprt system being that his
chances of recovery are non-existent. The State Police report shows that
Pelle's blood/alchohol content was a 0.24. The legal level is 0.10. Two
friends of Pelle were also in his turbo-charged Porshe when he failed to
negotiate a turn and wrecked into a concrete wall, both are in critical
condition.

Pelle will be sadly missed by us Flyer fans and all hockey fans in general,
and not for just his excellent goaltending. What a shame.

Joe Dakes
AT&T Bell Laboratories
Reading, PA
mhuxl!jmd

Al Sary

Nov 12, 1985, 11:28:33 AM11/12/85
In article <1...@rruxo.UUCP> jo...@rruxo.UUCP writes:

>I can't believe what I just read in this morning's paper!!
>
>Pelle Lindbergh, the goalie for the Flyers, has been declared
>"brain dead". No this is not some sick joke. He apparently
>was in a car accident in New Jersey and suffered severe brain
>and spine injuries. It doesn't say when this happened, I assume
>it was yesterday (Sunday).
>
>John O'B

It happened on Sunday morning just after 5:00. His blood alcohol level
was 0.24 or so, about 2.5 times the legal limit (these figures may be
sketchy, because I heard different figures from different sources).
He was also a fast driver, and if you saw his car, you can bet he was
going really fast. Apparently, though, he wasn't a big drinker.
He was (is) 26, by the way.

Jeff Richardson

Nov 14, 1985, 9:05:15 AM11/14/85
What was Pelle Lindbergh doing out drunk driving at 5:00 in the morning
anyway? I've always thought that the teams had very strict rules against
their players going out drinking after something like 2:00, and that breaking
them usually resulted in the player being fined, suspended, sent to the minors,
traded or put on waivers. Of course, it's too late to discipline Lindbergh
now, but if they enforced rules against such things, as I thought they did,
then he probably would have made sure he was home safely in bed by then.
I figured that management would try hard to protect the huge investments they
have in their players by insisting on at least some small, reasonable amount of
control over their off-ice activities (eg. I've heard that the players must
get permission from their employers to play any other sports), but all I
heard about this incident was that Bob Clarke had advised Lindbergh to
drive more slowly.
--
Jeff Richardson, DCIEM, Toronto (416) 635-2073
{linus,ihnp4,uw-beaver,floyd}!utcsri!dciem!jeff

Al Sary

Nov 15, 1985, 12:05:05 PM11/15/85
In article <17...@dciem.UUCP> je...@dciem.UUCP (Jeff Richardson) writes:
>What was Pelle Lindbergh doing out drunk driving at 5:00 in the morning
>anyway? I've always thought that the teams had very strict rules against

I wondered about that myself. Going out partying at 1 am does not sound like
something a hockey player can afford to do every day. I think one explonation
may be that the Flyers won the game on Saturday, and did not have a game till
next Thursday; I suppose they had a few days off after Saturday's game, and I
guess celebrating once in a while is ok with management, especially when the
team is doing as well as the Flyers are - this incident was very unfortunate,
but I guess it's hard to think of it before it happens. Maybe team will come
down harder on players drinking it out late at night, and especially driving
drunk.

One comment about the club Lindbergh was drinking at. Supposedly, it's licance
to stay open till 5 am may be revoked; I don't know any more details on this.

savannah...@gmail.com

Aug 3, 2018, 5:10:22 AM8/3/18
Hello from the future.i can't believe I'm on the same forum that was started in 1985! Wow! I wasn't even born until 2000. I'm confused how google groups was a thing in 1985? Or was it another website and its just made its way over to google? I don't know why I'm asking considering its been 33 years since someone last posted I'm probably not gonna get a response anytime soon... I'm surprised no one else from the future has replied on one of these... I wonder if you guys are even still on the internet.

omgmaxisr...@gmail.com

Sep 23, 2018, 7:14:02 PM9/23/18
On Friday, August 3, 2018 at 2:10:22 AM UTC-7, savannah...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello from the future.i can't believe I'm on the same forum that was started in 1985! Wow! I wasn't even born until 2000. I'm confused how google groups was a thing in 1985? Or was it another website and its just made its way over to google? I don't know why I'm asking considering its been 33 years since someone last posted I'm probably not gonna get a response anytime soon... I'm surprised no one else from the future has replied on one of these... I wonder if you guys are even still on the internet.

ayyyy it's another person from the future whatsup. At the time the internet didn't exist and this forum wasn't all white with a search a bar and stuff like it is now. Back then you were just typing stuff into a black screen with white text, computers barely existed at the time. Seeing peoples opinions and reactions on shit from so long ago is super cool