latin

Bits is bits

May 18, 1985, 4:17:34 PM5/18/85
Does anybody have a good reference for those handy little latin phrases that
you either want to use or want to decipher? Any dictionary with a good section
on this? Any pocket-sized volume (handy for keeping at work)? Or,
alternatively, anybody got a list they'd like to post?

L S Chabot ...decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-amber!chabot chabot%ambe...@decwrl.arpa

Ron Natalie <ron>

May 20, 1985, 3:37:45 PM5/20/85
> alternatively, anybody got a list they'd like to post?

Non interpone se res magorum, name ei sunt acuti et celer irae.
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle
and quick to anger.

Whatever is said in latin sounds profound.

Amo conventum instituti.
I love it when a plan comes together.

Cogito Ergo ...
I think therefore ...

Santus Fumus!
Holy Smoke

Vis Tecum Fiat.
May the force be with you.

Si hoc legere potes, gratias age tuo latino magistro.
If you can read this, thank your latin teacher.

These are all listed in the A&A button catalog.
Box 302, College Park MD 20740.

-Ron

Don't flame at me if these aren't correct.

Muffy Barkocy

May 21, 1985, 12:34:16 AM5/21/85

Parturiunt montes, nascetur ridiculus mus.
The mountains are in labor, and a ridiculous mouse will be brought forth.

Muffy

lam...@boring.uucp

May 21, 1985, 12:35:31 PM5/21/85
to rn...@mcvax.local

It's been 24 years since I was last exposed to Latin Magisters, and I have
not really kept it up, but some things in a recent list of Latin saws
seemed wrong to me:

> Non interpone se res magorum, name ei sunt acuti et celer irae.

Non interpone se in res magorum, nam ei sunt acuti et celer irae.
^^ ^

> Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.

Quidquid latine dictum , altum videtur.
^^^ ^

> Santus Fumus!
Sanctus Fumus!
^

> Vis Tecum Fiat.
Vis Tecum Sit.
^^^^

Lambert Meertens
...!{seismo,okstate,garfield,decvax,philabs}!lam...@mcvax.UUCP
CWI (Centre for Mathematics and Computer Science), Amsterdam
--

Lambert Meertens
...!{seismo,okstate,garfield,decvax,philabs}!lam...@mcvax.UUCP
CWI (Centre for Mathematics and Computer Science), Amsterdam

Col. G. L. Sicherman

May 30, 1985, 9:59:51 AM5/30/85
['Allow me,' said Mr Cunningham positively, 'it was _Lux upon Lux._']

"Digiti separatim edendi" - the fingers should be eaten separately.
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!colonel