Bad addresses & control messages

Gene Spafford

Oct 1, 1984, 6:41:54 PM10/1/84
I posted the first 2.10.2 "checkgroups" message today. Some sites not
recognizing 2.10.2 control messages and attempting to respond with mail
are getting their messages bounced back with "illegal address"
complaints.

What has happened is this: I have a sed script which manipulates the
posted version of the List of Active Newsgroups (which I also post).
Unfortunately, my sed script wasn't set to delete the "From" line
in the header. As a result, the "From" address in the posted article
is in a format many mailers aren't able to interpret properly.

The sed script has been fixed for the next posting (Oct. 15).
In the meantime, you might consider converting to news 2.10.2
so you can recognize "checkgroup" control messages (as well as
have a lot of bug fixes and nicer features).

--
Off the Wall of Gene Spafford
The Clouds Project, School of ICS, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332