Around the World in a Day/Paisley Park

RAMD

May 6, 1985, 11:41:19 AM5/6/85

Just finished listening to Prince's new albumn this weekend...must
have played it at least 15 times already. It is a definite must-hear.
First side starts off with title track, sounding much like George
Harrison meets James Brown. < Dig those Prince screams in between
Sitar-breaks>. Second track, 'Paisley Park' seems to have the
E. Rigby/Strawberry Fields feel to it with a strong shuffle beat
behind it. The next couple of tunes weave in jazz melodies apparently
lifted from the songwriter's father. Anyone who saw Purple Rain
can appreciate the significance of the use of his father's music.
The second to last song has been released for Top-40 and will probably
be the big summer song of the year. You may want to skip this
formula song - 'Rasberry Beret' unless you plan not to listen to
the radio this summer. The last song - 'Green Tambourine' is
one of those tunes where Prince does all the music and comes out
with a pretty tough drum part <I tried to play it on Sunday>.

The second side is not as playful as the first and may on first
listen sound like a case for Prince's alleged self-indulgence. 'Pop
Life' ( I believe the second cut ) has been wrongly labeled
by the Baltimore Sun Critic as just another How-Cruddy-It-Is
-2-Be-On-The-Top-Song. In fact, it is an exhortation by Prince
to his audience to spice up their life by adding a new dimension
and/or new interests. It also is anti-drug and (listen up, Mr. T)
pro-school, etc. The final two songs are of a personal struggle
for Prince trying to bring his spiritual and temporal sides together,
to say anymore would qualify as a spoiler and I don't want to do
that.

hof...@amsaa.ARPA

Grady Toss

May 7, 1985, 6:07:41 PM5/7/85
hof...@amsaa.ARPA sez . . .

> The second to last song has been released for Top-40 and will probably
> be the big summer song of the year. You may want to skip this
> formula song - 'Rasberry Beret' unless you plan not to listen to
> the radio this summer.

It is my understanding that Prince & Co. specifically told Warner Brothers
not to release any singles from this album, and the radio promo people have
been instructed to service the albums with no indication as to what tracks
station's should play. No promotion from WB at all apparently.

Of course some brave programming soul is going to it's EARS (!) and pick a
track to overplay. This will quickly catch on in the trades and consultancies,
and everyone will once again be able to breath easy, confident that they
know what they're supposed to do.

... ucbvax!ucbingres!ebm
#1 Tim Rooney Fan

RAMD

May 8, 1985, 5:20:14 PM5/8/85
In repsponse to message no. 68...@ucbvax.ARPA

>It is my understanding that Prince & Co. specifically told Warner Brothers

not to release any singles from this albumn

My information on this tidbit came from USA Today <the flame is rushing out
from behind my terminal, DOWN BOY...mundaness is to easy to attack> saying
that Prince & Co. had backed down and agreed to release "Rasberry Beret."
sans video.

Digressing, does anybody have a bibliography of Lester Bangs books?

Also, cast one vote against creating more seperate net.music.*...

Finally - Lionel Riche is good for one thing ... eating Tacos, dancing
funny, wearing stupid hats and claiming you are Lionel's bastard son
and all he gives you is a stupid albumn

The Car Pool calls....