TRON: a review, not a spoiler

utcsstat!barry

Jul 9, 1982, 5:28:17 PM7/9/82

I just saw Disney's Tron today, and I recommend it. The plot is a little
thin, and character development is virtually non-existant, but the computer
graphics are very good. The idea, that of a human being (designated a "user")
being trapped in a computer along with a series of programs, some of which he
wrote, is an interesting one. Interesting also is the artists conception of
some of our cherished concepts like bits, I/O control, control programs, and
so on. There are a few stabs at programmers which raised some chuckles from
the audience as well. I will be interested to see what Disney, and the others,
do with the ideas being presented in the film.

Barry Lay
University of Toronto Computing Services
!utzoo!utcsrgv!utcsstat!barry

decvax!steveg

Jul 11, 1982, 9:38:31 PM7/11/82
TRON is a film lacking in good plot, good acting, and good dialog.
It's generally recognized that it is hard to make a good film
without these things. TRON will also insult the intelligence
of most of the computer knowledgeble types in usenet-land.

The film has two drawing cards: (1) one gets to see the current
level of mis-understanding that Hollywood has about the computer
industry (no spinning magtapes, only a few magtape drives, and
one or two ubiquitous pdp-11's). (2) the Graphics were outstanding.
MAGI-SYNTHEVISION stuff is superb. I look forward to seeing
them at SIGGRAPH.

- steve

ihuxo!schnable

Jul 13, 1982, 2:29:57 AM7/13/82
I also saw TRON this last weekend and I was very impressed
with the graphics. I must agree that this is a must see for
anyone who works with computers and knows the jargon; I could
see it being a little confusing for someone who didn't. I am
very excited about the future of this new style of animation.

Andy

MORRILL.PA@sri-unix

Jul 15, 1982, 9:22:22 PM7/15/82

Did anyone who saw TRON catch the significance of the Chinese credits at the
end of the film?
Toby

p.s. I was very disapointed by Tron and find it some what depressing that a
studio can take such a terrific, unique idea for a movie and turn it into two
hours of record breaking boredom.

ihuxi!otto

Jul 17, 1982, 2:47:59 AM7/17/82

The Chinese credits at the end of TRON were there to give credit to those
who helped with some film processing in Hong Kong. I was highly amused to
suddenly see a screenful of Chinese in the middle of the credits.

George Otto
Bell Labs, Indian Hill