Quiz time

uwvax!greg

Apr 8, 1982, 9:39:20 AM4/8/82
Here's another quiz question: (actually, this one is really tough as
far as I can tell, and I don't have a solution.)
produce an APL expression that computes the determinant of a matrix.

N.B. - I'm looking for an expression, not a function, so looping and
recursion are out.

I have a (very) partial solution - it works only for non-singular matrices
that would never have a zero on the diagonal in a left-to-right series of
pivoting operations.

Iverson proposed an operator for determining determinants and permanents
(sp?) (pigeon?) in a paper a while back, but using that would be cheating.

- Greg Johnson
U Wis - Madison

g:shallit

Apr 9, 1982, 9:48:58 AM4/9/82
A solution to this problem was given by Michael Halpern in his IBM
technical report "Algebra, Scan, and Permutations". I would be glad
to mail copies of his functions to interested parties.
/Jeff Shallit, Department of Mathematics, UC Berkeley, Berkeley, CA 94720