more mess!

watmath!bstempleton

Dec 14, 1981, 7:08:18 PM12/14/81
Well, tonight we got something in net.rec.ski! Mark's message
previously said it should be net.sport.ski

aarrrrrggggghhhhhh!!!!

Having a distributed network is all very nice and fun, but I am beginning
to wonder if it isn't worth having some sort of centralized control.
On the same note, we're also still getting stuff to 'net.motorcycle'
instead of net.cycle

watmath!jcwinterton

Dec 15, 1981, 7:51:25 AM12/15/81
Standardization would be great. Soon we can all march in lock-step.
Big brother doesn't exist yet, but soon, soon.
All kidding aside, the proliferation of group names due to delays
really is double plus ungood. Anyone want to volunteer to BE Big Brother?

cbosg!mark

Dec 16, 1981, 5:29:01 AM12/16/81
I am coming to realized that people are waiting for me to say something.
We are discussing what to do about the proliferation of newsgroups - if
you want to be involved in this discussion please send me mail. (We
might even, ahem, start a newsgroup.) I hope to have a list of active
newsgroups, "officially blessed" (whatever that means), in a few days.

The names net.rec.ski and net.rec.scuba sound fine to me - I should have
said yes to this when it first happened.

There will be a net.bugs.u3 for UNIX 3.0 bugs. I would love to hear from
people on the outside who have 3.0 - I would like to get some unbiased
outside opinions on the system.

I stand on net.cycle, NOT net.mc or net.motorcycle. Sorry, but mc is to
abbreviated for people to figure out what it is - to me, "mc" means the
Macsyma Consortium machine at MIT.

There is a newsgroup net.news.b for discussion of the B version of news,
replacing the "gamma" mailing list we used to have here.

Mark