Microsoft Flight Simulation

ke...@sdccsu3.uucp

Mar 24, 1984, 4:54:50 AM3/24/84

Does anyone out there have an instruction manual for the Microsoft
Flight Simulation video game on IBM's? I need to know specifically
how to drop bombs in the 1917 version, but I would also like to get
a command summary if you would mail it to me.

Thanks in advance.
--
"I am the man who dared to say, 'I will not live my
life for the sake of another man, nor expect him to

Name: Brian Keves USnail: UCSD Computer Center
Usenet: ...!sdcsvax!sdccsu3!keves C-010
...!sdcsvax!sdcattb!za62 La Jolla, Ca. 92093
Gripe: "Some people just can't have fun in this world because
they are too busy bitching about people who do."

The Master of Sinanju

Mar 24, 1984, 8:59:22 PM3/24/84
<In Nomine Patris...>

> Does anyone out there have an instruction manual for the Microsoft
> Flight Simulation video game on IBM's? I need to know specifically
> how to drop bombs in the 1917 version, but I would also like to get
> a command summary if you would mail it to me.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> Name: Brian Keves USnail: UCSD Computer Center
> Usenet: ...!sdcsvax!sdccsu3!keves C-010
> ...!sdcsvax!sdcattb!za62 La Jolla, Ca. 92093

This is blatantly illegal. People like this really irritate me!
Here we are, a network of people, many of whom rely on income from
software sales for our living, and some dimwit has the gall to do
this!!

I would like to point out to this individual that Microsoft is
on the net, and has a very active bunch of lawyers.. I hope that
you recieve an appropriate response to your request.

--
Brian A. Ehrmantraut

Ad Maioram Gloriam Hasturi!

{ihnp4, decvax, ucbvax}!allegra!fisher!bae

Stephen Perelgut

Mar 25, 1984, 11:37:25 PM3/25/84
As far as I can tell, there is no legal way to get a
copy of the flight simulator without getting the
instruction manual. If you can explain how such a
thing came about, I will gladly mail the instructions,
having purchased the package.
--
Stephen Perelgut
Computer Systems Research Group University of Toronto

ze...@felix.uucp

Mar 26, 1984, 9:25:17 AM3/26/84
Recently, someone requested a copy of the manual for the
Microsoft Flight Simulation game (reference line
intentionally deleted). I have flamed directly to the
sender rather than put the rest of you through the pain of
reading it.

I strongly encourage all of you out there to refuse to
supply the requested information.

If this person had PURCHASED the game instead of STOLEN it,
he would have the manual. Theft is theft; there is no
excuse for it. We do not need to support such activities.

On the off chance that the original requestor actually did
purchase the game and his dog ate the manual (or some such
accident), I publicly appologise for insulting him.

We really *can* do something about s/w piracy,
Art Zemon
FileNet Corp.
(213)428-1193 home

Murray Lane

Apr 2, 1984, 2:36:27 PM4/2/84
On the topic of the Microsoft Flight Simulator, does anyone know when (if?)
Microsoft will market a version for the IBM PC jr? Other PC's?
Come on, Microsoft, I know your on the net.
Murray at Intel @ t4test

pour...@sdcsvax.uucp

Apr 10, 1984, 4:55:29 PM4/10/84
Apple II programmer and knew exactly how much these things cost" and
"that there was no possible justification for charging $30-$40 each":

Take a marketing course, or just go through third grade mathematics
again. It may only cost $4 to $7 each to package a game (sometimes
more, depending on the package), but have you ever heard of overhead?
There are some other costs:

1) Advertising. Between 10% (industry low) and 35% (industry high) of a
company's gross is usually spent on advertising their new babies. How
much do you think it costs for a full-page in a 100,000-circulation
magazine, let alone a large one like Byte? For those who don't know,
it's about $10,000 plus color charges (about $750 a color) for Byte, and
that's much cheaper than a "real" (non-computer industry) magazine.

2) Markup. Look, mack, most people can't sell very many games through
the mail; nobody trusts a game they can't try out. So they get sold
through retail stores, all of whom require a markdown of between 30%
and 55% of the games' cost to even look at the thing. And *THAT*'s if
you deal directly with the retail stores. If you go through a
distributor, they take another 20% to 35%. That doesn't leave much for:

3) Taxes.

4) Shipping, office costs, up-front costs (how much does four-color
process embossed on a box cost? Any ideas?), disk costs, show costs,
etc. Not to mention:

5) Salaries and royalties. The effing programmer, the poor sod who
(yes, Virginia, he is) is being ripped off when you buy the "overpriced"
game, his office-mates, etc., usually come last. They get paid out of
what's left.

Oh, yeah, if the game is on a cartridge, you have to pay the ROM mask
charge, plastics mfgr, PC maker, etc. etc..

All of you out there who feel that games cost too much can congratulate
yourselves. You'll probably drive the cost of games down, simply
because the really huge distributors/publishers will be the only ones
able to keep the costs down enough to satisfy you. Of course, that'll
drive out the small guys, creativity, and innovation, but you'll have
your lower prices. Take a bow, gentlemen.

Have any of you out there even priced blank disks in bulk? Try a little
arithmetic, folks.

Oh, and if you doubt `my figures: why is Sirius (a mfgr/publisher of
Apple games) now in recievership? Why is Activision losing money?
Certianly it doesn't seem to be because of obscene profits.

The many of you who do pay for games may now know why you pay so much.
Remember, the guy who buys mail order pays the same as the retail buyer
because no retail store will stand for price-cutting competition from
their own suppliers (not that way, anyway).

Sorry if I was acrid, but this guy ticked me off.

Alex Pournelle

S.KHO

Apr 13, 1984, 4:59:10 PM4/13/84
FORTUNE Magazine estimated that the average mark-up of a game
cartridge is 300%.

S. Kho