Review Request

the Shadow

Aug 30, 1985, 2:52:02 PM8/30/85
Machiavelli (Avalon Hill)
Pax Britannica (?Victory Games?)

I am interested in these two games, but have heard nothing
about how good they are. If anyone has these or has played
them, could you please post a review?

"Help! It's a goddamn bear!"
"Don't run! Negotiate!"

the Shadow
ARPA: <jeffh@brl>
UUCP: {seismo,decvax,cbosgd}!brl!jeffh

Daniel Faigin

Sep 3, 1985, 4:43:35 PM9/3/85
Machiavelli. Originally published by Battleline, now published by
Avalon-Hill, but not stongly promoted.

This is an excellent game for those who like the game
"Diplomacy". It is based in and around the Italian "boot" in the
1400's. It can support up to 8 players: France, Turkey, Austria,
Milan, Venice, The Papacy, Naples, and Florence.

The rules of the game (I tend to play the advanced game, so that
I what I describe here) are similar to Dippy. One writes orders
for his/her pieces, with movement being done simultaneously. The
major differences from Dippy are:

1) There is an additional type of unit, the Garrison. Provinces
in Machiavelli (henceforth, M) have both cities and surrounding
areas. Pieces from two different countries can occupy the area,
one in the city, one outside.

2) One attacks a garrison by Beseiging it. This takes two turns.

3) Builds are not based on supply centers but on income from
provinces. Excess money can be used to bribe.

4) Ownership is based on last occupation.

The rules for fleet and army movement are the same as Dippy.

Personally, I prefer the game over Diplomacy. My favorite
position to play is France (I like to become a naval power). I
feel that Florence is in the weakest position.

If you want more information on the game, please send me mail.
I'd love to see a game get started up.

Daniel
--
UUCP: {akgua allegra ihnp4 hplabs sdcsvax trwrb cbosgd}!sdcrdcf!faigin
ARPA: sdcrdcf!fai...@UCLA-LOCUS.ARPA --or-- sdcrdcf!fai...@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU

W: SDC, 2525 Colorado MD 91-01; Santa Monica CA 90406; (213) 820-4111 x6393
H: 11743 Darlington Avenue #9; Los Angeles CA 90049; (213) 826-3357

The views and opinions expressed in this message are not necessarily those of
my employer, except the janitor who agrees with everything I write. I hope
for his early recovery and release.

Rick Heli

Sep 3, 1985, 9:03:31 PM9/3/85
Short Review: Great game for 4 or more; useless if you have trouble
scaring up opponents. And at $25 it's a little steep.

PAX BRITANNICA (Victory Games); about $25. Designed by Greg Cos-
tikyan. Two map sheets totaling approximately 36" x 48" 28-page
rule booklet, 8 reference sheets for player and minor nations,
pad of backprinted "score sheets", approximately 400 die-cut
counters, two six-sided dice, boxed with plastic tray. For four
to seven players; playing time quite variable, but roughly from
one to six hours. Published 1985.

"The sun never sets on the British Empire." Yes, its the world
of the late colonial period from 1880 to 1916. Britain, France,
Germany, Austria-Hungary, the United States, Russia, Japan, and
Italy seek riches through conquest of native people around the
world. Rules are included for economics, supply, bribery, nego-
tiation, Congress of Europe, war at land and sea, canal building,
random events, Chinese rebellion and colonial combat. Military
units are abstract. 104 land areas and a dozen sea zones are
depicted.

The end of Pax Britannica is quite unusual. I have played games
which lasted all the way until 1916 and I have played others that
were over on the first game turn. The length of the game is
dependent on the outbreak of the Great War which occurs whenever
four or more great powers are at war or when European Tensions
rise above a fixed level. Because the player(s) who cause the
war lose three times as many victory points as the others, war or
even a mild dispute (since it increases European Tensions) is not
a thing to be taken lightly.

Pax Britannica has a number of very novel features. For example,
the rules on negotiation prior to war and the calling of a
Congress of Europe to settle disputes is quite imaginative and
works quite well. The Congress has a lot of power, but military
might doesn't take a back seat either. For players who like
economic games and planning, there is a lot of room for study
here. Should you enter Egypt or Kongo or the Far East? And
should it be mere Interest? or Influence? or Protectorate or
even Possession? Likewise, those who enjoy effective military
strategy, will be suitably challenged. Forces sail across the
world and maintaining supply lines can be tricky. Finally, the
local Diplomacy expert will also love this game what with its am-
ple room for negotiation and committee politics.

I have a few gripes about the game. One is Costikyan's running
commentary throughout the rules that seem to say, "Oh, wasn't it
great how they ran the world back then?" This smacks a bit of
the pollyanna to me. Another is that some important rules are
not emphasized, but merely mentioned in a throwaway line in an
unusual place. Some, one does not notice until the second or
third playing. Finally, some of the rules with respect to the
way war, Great War and victory points work are a little vague,
though the meaning becomes clear in time. [If anyone has any
questions, I'd be happy to lend you the teachings of my experi-
ences.] A little more rules editing could have helped a lot
here.

But all in all, if you enjoy multiplayer games, if you enjoy di-
plomatic games like Diplomacy or if you enjoy economic systems
similar to the late, lamented Empires of the Middle Ages, by all
means try out Pax Britannica. If you have trouble finding four
or more opponents, though, look elsewhere. Otherwise, the price
is a little steep, but it's one of the best multiplayer offerings
I've seen in some time.
--
--rick heli
(... ucbvax!ucdavis!groucho!ccrrick)

Doug Anderson

Sep 5, 1985, 4:32:08 PM9/5/85
> Machiavelli (Avalon Hill)

> I am interested in these two games, but have heard nothing
> about how good they are. If anyone has these or has played
> them, could you please post a review?

Machiavelli is a game made up of fudal states and is
played much like Diplomacy but with some weird twists
that atempt to simulate the confused state in Italy
during this time period.

The game plays with from 2 to six players. But as
usual the more the merrier. Players can fight
conventional battles, ingage in bribry or assasination
attempts. The victory conditions center on
acquiring land on the boot of Italy.

Not too bad. If your really into political games its
great fun. I'm not yet I have played it a couple
times and generally enjoyed myself.

(not really a review more opinion then anything)

Doug Anderson