Regional Snobbery

Thomas G. Dennehy

Sep 29, 1983, 9:44:49 AM9/29/83
I was born 'n' raised in DiTROYT and spent six years in Ann Arbor
(the Paris of the Midwest.) After having spent more than a year
a north central New Jersey, I can only conclude that the grass is
never greener where you haven't been.

New Englanders detest New York (City). Manhattanites hate New
Jersey, and New Jerseyans feel there is no civilization west of
the Delaware. The reactions I have gotten from telling people I'm
from DiTROYT have ranged from "Oh, Illinois.." to "thank god you
escaped."

Let's get serious. Let's talk choices.

No matter how I pine for Ann Arbor (not DiTROYT) I must own up to
the fact that I (alone) made the decision to move to NJ. At the time,
working for Bell Labs was more attractive than any opportunities
in that area. A year later, second thoughts are creeping in, but the
ties back to Michigan are growing weaker. My family is spreading
out all over the country, as are my friends. Any decision can't be
based on how nice A2 was two years ago - what would it be like now?

Lifelong residents of a region shouldn't look down on newcomers for
despoiling their utopia, blahblahblah. If people are welcomed when
they come, they won't lionize where they've been. This kind of
tension is feeding the regional debate. Local pride is one thing,
but let's all have good attitude about The Great Elsewhere.
Tom Dennehy AT&T BL Whippany, NJ {clyde!tgd}

j...@rabbit.uucp

Sep 29, 1983, 5:01:08 PM9/29/83

Hmmm. New Jersey residents think that life ends west of the
Delaware? That's funny, everyone I know in New Jersey thinks
that life BEGINS west of Morristown, with one important
exception, namely that there is something approaching
life east of the Hudson.

Frankly, I disagree with both positions. I think life
begins west of the Delaware, and gets tolerable somewhere
around Morgantown. From there, it goes downhill again
until you finally get to Death Valley, where life
(as WE know it) ends.

O O

^

|___|
\_/

Sep 30, 1983, 11:33:35 AM9/30/83

I OBJECT!!! - Norfolk is NOT the pits. Its a damn site better than
a lot of other places I've been. The beaches are not as nice as Miami's,
but they are a damn site better than anything north of them. Besides, if
you know where to go in Norfolk, Virginia Beach, the beaches are great. There
are also 3 LARGE convention/coliseum/arts centers in the tidewater area, plus
museums, plus opera, plus sports(basketball/ice hockey/etc), plus boating,
plus........ I haven't seen ANYTHING in the Carolina's that even comes
close, much less anything in the midwest that doesn't even have beaches.

(** FRODO **) alias hou5g!jrt

Laura Creighton

Oct 2, 1983, 11:17:24 PM10/2/83
If you want the rocky mountains, and the pacific ocean, you cannot get
them in Ontario. And it is damn cold in winter. I wish I were in
Vancouver.

laura creighton (originally from Vancouver)
utzoo!utcsstat!laura