HATE HATE HATE HATE...

Lord Frith

May 15, 1985, 11:04:13 AM5/15/85
No what I hate? Some slick marketing campaign that depicts young,
active people going ape shit over product frobnitz, as if it were the
greatest joy of their lives.

How can ANY ad agency claim that "young people across America are
switching to the NEW and IMPROVED taste of diet frobnitz... The new
frobnitz that's taking America by storm!" when the product has barely
hit the shelves?

Because people won't buy a product unless everyone else is buying
it... the gutless slime... and sharp ad agencies capitalize on this
with their polished and appealing images. These images, however, are
not a reflection of reality, but a reflection of the manipulative
attitudes of modern day marketing.

No what else I hate?

Strawberry Shortcake (tm)
Care Bears (tm)
My Little Pony (tm)
Cabbage Patch Kids (tm)
Cabbage Patch Kids Koosas (tm)

... and He-Man (tm).

This muscle-bound, blond-haired sissy couldn't fight his way out of
a wet paper bag. What is the moral we are taught every
time He-Man "defeats" some evil guy? That evil lives to do evil
tomorrow and He-Man goes to all this trouble for nothing.

What a whimp!

Those simpering liberal whiners at Action for Childern's Television
have so sterilized and cleansed children's programming that kids will
now grow up with no concept of what good, evil, pain or conflict is.
No blood. No gore. No loss.

And to add insult to injury we are force-fed a moral at the end of the
show, complete with flash-backs. Oh so neat and tidy it all is! See
kids, how He-Man wraps everything up in only 30 minutes?! This concern
for the outward appearence of television with no concern for the
content presented is the worst thing to happen to programming in the
last 40 years.

It's a canned morality play with the subtlty of a lead brick and the
substance of a box of kleenex.

Gee... When I was young I only had some blocks to play with. What
fun it was trying to pound the square peg into the round hole!
--

UUCP: ...{decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!seismo!trwatf!root - Lord Frith
ARPA: trwatf!root@SEISMO

Nasha Lutcha!

Mike Parker

May 17, 1985, 3:49:48 PM5/17/85
In article <9...@trwatf.UUCP>, ro...@trwatf.UUCP (Lord Frith) writes:
> No what I hate? Some slick marketing campaign that depicts young,
> active people going ape shit over product frobnitz, as if it were the
> greatest joy of their lives.
>

> Nasha Lutcha!

Oh, so now we're flaming advertisements, time to toss in my 2 bits..

No what I hate? Frobnitz ( to borrow a term ) ads that start with
" *most* people see this valley from down there " or " *most* people
take the trail to get to this beach ". Well now that I know that
the person in the ad is a superior being, I'm sure I want to run
out and buy some frobnitz so I too can become superior. But then
they end the ad with the famous line, " the question isn't whether
frobnitz is good enough for you, are *you* good enough for
frobnitz". The little bubble over my head bursts, the ray of light
fades. FROBNITZ ISN'T GOING TO MAKE ME A SUPERIOR BEING IF I BUY IT,
RATHER I HAVE TO BE SUPERIOR BEFORE I CAN BUY IT.

Oh well, so I'll have to go through life being the slimy little
nothing that I am. :-(

Mike

Stephen Hutchison

May 20, 1985, 6:15:14 PM5/20/85
In article <13...@amdcad.UUCP> mi...@amdcad.UUCP (Mike Parker) writes:
>In article <9...@trwatf.UUCP>, ro...@trwatf.UUCP (Lord Frith) writes:
>> No what I hate? Some slick marketing campaign that depicts young,
>> active people going ape shit over product frobnitz, as if it were the
>> greatest joy of their lives.

>Oh, so now we're flaming advertisements, time to toss in my 2 bits..

>No what I hate? Frobnitz ( to borrow a term ) ads that start with
>" *most* people see this valley from down there " or " *most* people
>take the trail to get to this beach ". Well now that I know that
>the person in the ad is a superior being, I'm sure I want to run
>out and buy some frobnitz so I too can become superior. But then
>they end the ad with the famous line, " the question isn't whether
>frobnitz is good enough for you, are *you* good enough for
>frobnitz". The little bubble over my head bursts, the ray of light
>fades. FROBNITZ ISN'T GOING TO MAKE ME A SUPERIOR BEING IF I BUY IT,
>RATHER I HAVE TO BE SUPERIOR BEFORE I CAN BUY IT.

My name is Steve. I'm a software evaluator. I spend six months working
on schedules and tests that are rendered invalid by schedule slips and
changes to specifications two weeks before the product is due to ship
to customers. So I end up doing the same thing on every project that
I work on: I poke at the program with a stick. No plan, no finess, no
careful selection of poignant test cases. It invariably breaks anyway.
I am required to certify in two weeks that a complicated system made
up of hundreds of lines of code in tens of modules, all written by different
engineers with different revisions of the specifications, will not only
work but will not have any bugs in it. My cereal? RAW BITS. Raw Bits
oat hull and wheat chaff cereal. Send us your resume and WE'LL decide
if YOU have what it takes to eat Raw Bits.

Ken Montgomery

May 21, 1985, 12:57:59 AM5/21/85
>How can ANY ad agency claim that "young people across America are
>switching to the NEW and IMPROVED taste of diet frobnitz... The new
>frobnitz that's taking America by storm!" when the product has barely
>hit the shelves?

They can do it because no one is willing to waste the time and
resources necessary to gather the data to refute these claims.

> [...]

>No what else I hate?
>
>Strawberry Shortcake (tm)
>Care Bears (tm)
>My Little Pony (tm)
>Cabbage Patch Kids (tm)
>Cabbage Patch Kids Koosas (tm)
>
> ... and He-Man (tm).

Sm.rfs. You forgot sm.rfs.

> [...]

>It's a canned morality play with the subtlty of a lead brick and the
>substance of a box of kleenex.

They must have stolen it from Usenet! :-)

--
The above viewpoints are mine. They are unrelated to
those of anyone else, including my cats and my employer.

Ken Montgomery "Shredder-of-hapless-smurfs"
...!{ihnp4,allegra,seismo!ut-sally}!ut-ngp!kjm [Usenet, when working]
k...@ut-ngp.ARPA [for Arpanauts only]

Jan Steinman

May 21, 1985, 1:35:27 PM5/21/85
>>> (Lord Frith)

>>> No what I hate? Some slick marketing campaign that depicts young,
>>> active people going ape shit over product frobnitz, as if it were the
>>> greatest joy of their lives.

>>(Mike Parker)

>>No what I hate? Frobnitz ( to borrow a term ) ads that start with
>>" *most* people see this valley from down there " or " *most* people
>>take the trail to get to this beach ". Well now that I know that
>>the person in the ad is a superior being, I'm sure I want to run
>>out and buy some frobnitz so I too can become superior. But then
>>they end the ad with the famous line, " the question isn't whether
>>frobnitz is good enough for you, are *you* good enough for
>>frobnitz". The little bubble over my head bursts, the ray of light
>>fades. FROBNITZ ISN'T GOING TO MAKE ME A SUPERIOR BEING IF I BUY IT,
>>RATHER I HAVE TO BE SUPERIOR BEFORE I CAN BUY IT.

>(Stephen Hutchison)

>My name is Steve. I'm a software evaluator. I spend six months working
>on schedules and tests that are rendered invalid by schedule slips and
>changes to specifications two weeks before the product is due to ship
>to customers. So I end up doing the same thing on every project that
>I work on: I poke at the program with a stick. No plan, no finess, no
>careful selection of poignant test cases. It invariably breaks anyway.
>I am required to certify in two weeks that a complicated system made
>up of hundreds of lines of code in tens of modules, all written by different
>engineers with different revisions of the specifications, will not only
>work but will not have any bugs in it. My cereal? RAW BITS. Raw Bits
>oat hull and wheat chaff cereal. Send us your resume and WE'LL decide
>if YOU have what it takes to eat Raw Bits.

My name is Jan. I'm a ski patrolman. People are glad I'm there, but I'm the
last person they want to see. I spend twelve weekends a year earning a bit
over minimum wage, and I have to supply my own uniform and equipment, while
some snot-nosed kid straight out of community college gets $25k to drive a
comfy ambulance down in the valley. I splint 'em and drag 'em down the
mountain in one piece so they can live to contact their lawyer and put my
area out of business with liability suits. It's tough work, but someone's got
to do it, that's why I start each morning with a bowl full of BROKEN TIPS,
the cereal that hurts because it's good for you. It's tough cereal, but
someone's got to eat it.
--
:::::: Jan Steinman Box 1000, MS 61-161 (w)503/685-2843 ::::::
:::::: tektronix!tekecs!jans Wilsonville, OR 97070 (h)503/657-7703 ::::::

William J. Laubenheimer

May 23, 1985, 2:59:09 AM5/23/85
>>No what else I hate?
>>
>>Strawberry Shortcake (tm)
>>Care Bears (tm)
>>My Little Pony (tm)
>>Cabbage Patch Kids (tm)
>>Cabbage Patch Kids Koosas (tm)
>>
>> ... and He-Man (tm).

>> - Lord Frith

>Sm.rfs. You forgot sm.rfs.

>Ken Montgomery "Shredder-of-hapless-smurfs"

No, he didn't. Those funny blue things are just figments of your imagination.
The whole species was legislated out of existence quite a while back by the
USENET community; I thought you'd been around long enough to remember the
incident, but maybe you haven't - or did you send that chunk of your memory
to /dev/null? Anyway, you better keep away from whatever mind-altering
substances you've currently been abusing. Pink elephants are bad enough,
but little blue people are even worse.

An old-timer,

Bill Laubenheimer
----------------------------------------UC-Berkeley Computer Science
...Killjoy went that-a-way---> ucbvax!wildbill

Ken Arnold%CGL

May 23, 1985, 7:05:35 PM5/23/85
>>>(Mike Parker)
>>>No what I hate?
>>(Stephen Hutchison)
>>My name is Steve. I'm a software evaluator.
>(Jan Steinman)

>My name is Jan. I'm a ski patrolman.

My name is Ken. Know what I hate? I hate people not knowing what a
newsgroup is about before they post to it. The newsgroup net.wobegon
is not for you to be wobegon in; it is for discussion of the radio show
"Prarie Home Companion", which is centered around Lake Wobegon, Minn.
Please take this newsgroup OUT of your header.

Ken Arnold

P.S. One other thing I hate is people saying "no" when they mean
"know". I mean, if you're going to get snotty about other peoples'
behavior...

Wolfe

May 31, 1985, 8:48:28 AM5/31/85

Eat your raw bits (if they'll let you) and get shy, Ken.

--
Internet: ne...@rochester.arpa
UUCP: {decvax, allegra, seismo, cmcl2}!rochester!nemo