Linguistic Mind-Model

ive...@cholula.uucp

Jan 29, 1985, 1:17:29 AM1/29/85
The following message is being posted for a friend who does not
have access to the net.

Artificial Intelligence - Lesson One of the Mentifex Tutorial.
The human brain-mind is a stimulus-response system.
The stimuli are sensory input and the responses are motor output.
The channels of input and output flow in parallel but in opposite directions.
The channels of sensory and motor memory begin as tabula rasa - a clean slate.
The parallel memory channels fill up gradually between infancy and old age.
Any point on the parallel mindgrid corresponds to a point in time.
An associative tag connects all simultaneous points along the mindgrid.
Mind emerges where associative tags converge to form conceptual hierarchies.
The abstract memory channel inserts intelligence between stimulus and response.

- Arthur T. Murray
11033 Greenwood Avenue North
Seattle, Washington 98l33

Don Steiny

Jan 30, 1985, 12:34:58 PM1/30/85

> The human brain-mind is a stimulus-response system.
> The channels of sensory and motor memory begin as tabula rasa - a clean slate.

Hmm, have you read "On Verbal Behavior" by B.F. Skinner?

Besides the excellent paper Noam Chomsky wrote more
than 20 years ago arguing against this position, an article
in this month's (Jan. 1985) Scientific American drives yet
another nail into the coffin of behavorist models of
language.
--
scc!steiny
Don Steiny - Personetics @ (408) 425-0382

Gary Cottrell

Jan 30, 1985, 7:37:33 PM1/30/85
Before I posted this, rn asked me: This program posts news to hundreds of
machines around the world. Are you sure you want to do this?

After articles like the "Mentifex Tutorial", I wish this was moderated,
so that hundreds of machines and their users around the world don't have
to be subjected to the ravings of such folks. Any takers?

gary cottrell (allegra or seismo)!rochester!gary (UUCP)
gary@rochester (ARPA)

Paul Benjamin

Jan 31, 1985, 11:59:53 AM1/31/85

Unfortunately, to insure the unimpeded flow of ideas, we
must put up with uninformed (perhaps facetious?) ideas
like the "Mentifex Tutorial". The hard test of any idea
in AI is to produce a working program which embodies that
idea. It would be extremely interesting to see a working
model of the concepts in the "Mentifex Tutorial".

Paul Benjamin {ihnp4,decvax}!philabs!dpb (UUCP)

Sidney Markowitz

Jan 31, 1985, 1:42:12 PM1/31/85
In article <rocheste.5979> ga...@rochester.UUCP (Gary Cottrell) writes:
>After articles like the "Mentifex Tutorial", I wish this was moderated,
>so that hundreds of machines and their users around the world don't have
>to be subjected to the ravings of such folks. Any takers?
>
>gary cottrell (allegra or seismo)!rochester!gary (UUCP)
> gary@rochester (ARPA)

That's what Ken Laws does for the Arpanet version of AIList, and then he
is even nice enough to send the digest to net.ai. Since you use rn, you
ought to know how easy it is to filter out all but the digest articles. Or
subscribe to the digest at your arpanet address. Personally, I find articles
like the "Mentifex Tutorial" amusing. Probably when I have seen enough of
them I will start using the j or n keys more or stop reading net.ai and
stick to the arpanet.

Now watch Ken include Mentifex in the next AIList Digest as a humorous
article... (Hey, Ken, that might not be such a bad idea. It's at least as
funny as some of the Graduate Student Lunch announcements at MIT that you
publish.)

--
Sidney Markowitz

ARPA: sidney@mit-mc
UUCP: ...{decvax,utzoo,philabs,security,allegra,genrad}!linus!sidney