The World According to Ray (and God)

1 view

Charles Forsythe

Aug 18, 1985, 2:35:21 AM8/18/85
In article <11...@rochester.UUCP> r...@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) writes:
>Charles Forsythe comments:
>> Case in point:
>> When I was little, my parents said,"Stay away from the deep end,
>> until you know how to swim! You might drown!" (Horrid parents!)
>>
>> My neighbor's parents would get the Ray Seal of Approval. They
>> told their kids,"Don't go to the deep end! There are monsters
>> in it!"
>>
>Hopefully in either case, no kid drowned. BECAUSE they believed what their
>parents.

The point is, I can go boating without fear. My neighbors kids, who may
STILL be unable to swim, better stay away from water. Naturally, most
people love water. I love to sail, and I can safely do it. Kids WILL
have sex. Telling them not to won't change that. It's better to give
them some good advice on how to stay safe.

>> >But on the whole, the responsibility of children rests on the parents,
>> >it has always worked just fine that way.
>>
>> Oh really? Then how come we have so many messed up kids in this world?
>> They didn't start out that way -- it can't be their fault. What about
>> the kids of the strictest parents who get pregnant or into drug habits?
>>
>Ask Osie the crazy rock star who eats bats on stage, or all the other
>crazy lunatic acid rock that promotes crazed sex, orgies, drugs,
>violence, murder, etc. Ask the drug dealers who slime around
>playgrounds giving drugs to 4th graders. Or ask the adults who do drugs
>in front of children. Ask the senile justices on the Supreme Court
>about the effect of porno shops on every street corner in just about any
>neighborhood. Their response:"snoor." The way things are going Captain
>Kangaroo is liable to have an 'R' rating in the murky future.

Actually, it's not OZZIE's fault. It's the Russians. It's a commie plot.
Have you spoken to Don Black about this?

Be serious.

>If kids didn't need guidance, there would't be a need for parents.

A lot of parents are worth less than nothing in their child's life.
These are the children who grow up to be the worst. I'm all for parental
interaction!

Saying "Don't have sex. Case closed" is not interaction, it's dictation
(check Webster if you don't believe me).

>> >Someone said, I don't remember who, but I agree whole heartedly, "The
>> >way to destroy a society is to erode its base, which in essence is the
>> >family."
>>
>> This idea is deeply buried in Hebrew/Christian tradition. This is not to
>> say it's wrong a priori, but to point out that it is a cultural
>> assumption.
>>
>Are you for a moment suggesting that families didn't exist intimately until
>the advent of Christianity? That families didn't make up the back bone of
>societies? I'm not at all sure what you are trying to saying here.

No, I'm saying that the Hebrew culture put a lot of emphasis on
families. The Hebrew culture doesn't have an afterlife. One "lives on"
through their children. This necessitated a strong family. (BTW the
Christians borrowed the idea of life-after-death from the Greeks, NOT the
Old Testament -- but that's another can of worms.)

Throwing society's assumptions at me in an attempt to prove a point,
proves nothing. Can you prove that families are essential? I happen to
like them, myself, but I don't assume that they are necessary. If we
assume that what society proclaims is TRUTH, then we can drop the
abortion debate now.

>True some families don't work out, so what else is new?
>Again you are making some sort of strange inference that if families are
>strangers they will be closer than if they are not strangers. If this is
>true than single people with no family who are strangers in a new neighbor-
>hood will be welcomed with open arms by the community. Hah. The U.S has
>been refered to as the loneliest country in the world with its 20 million or
>so people who live alone.

A) I didn't assert any such thing.
B) This has nothing to do with teenage pregnancy.

[FLAME ON]
>> >I don't give a crap what you or anyone else on the net thinks, but I
>> >personally believe...
>>
>> To use a favorite Kenny Arndt expression: this is the credo of the
>> "willfully stupid."
>>
>I said that to indicate that my position is cast in cement and it is.

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH.
...but it's not pretty.

Opinions are like assholes: everybody has one, but nobody want's to see
the other guy's. I like to hear arguments and points. I'm sure everybody
here reads this group to hear conflicting arguments and points. Having
stated that you do not wish to hear anything contrary to what you
believe, "pull up your pants" and shut up.
[FLAME OFF]
--
Charles Forsythe
CSDF@MIT-VAX

from _The_Nth_Psalm_ in _The_Book_of_Fred_