Paul Halsall: Using the Internet to Make History Available to a Large Audience Through a Network of History Web Guides

David P. Dillard

Jun 3, 2006, 3:01:45 AM6/3/06
to Net-Gold, Temple University Net-Gold Archive, Temple Gold Discussion Group, Net-Gold, myarc...@yahoogroups.com, MediaMentor Discussion Group, Educator Gold, Educator Gold, Discussion of Digital Reference, NEWSR...@lists.netspace.org

Some turbulence on another list caused me to put together this post in
honor of a tremendous contributor to our knowledge of history and in
particular our knowledge of where to find it on the internet.

Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2006 02:49:07 -0400 (EDT)
From: David P. Dillard <jw...@temple.edu>
Subject: Re: A New Blog

I would like to accentuate the positive. Paul Halsall has over a long
period of time and continues to produce very valuable and pertinent
contributions to history and to our being able to find history on the
internet.

Net-Gold, a discussion group that I own covers every field and topic that
the posters on the list can get to. I just posted a major post about the
Newtown to Fox Chase portion of a rail line that has been defunct since
1983 in the Philadelphia area to Net-Gold. Amongst others we have had
posts today on pain killers, African recipes, college directories, angst
between Africans and African Americans, bipolar disorder, pigeon racing in
British history, the Negro baseball leagues and more. Here is a link to
the Newtown post.

From: "David P. Dillard" <jw...@temple.edu>
Date: Sat Jun 3, 2006 12:46 am
Subject: [Philly_Traction] SEPTA News in Brief (May 30) New life for the
Newtown branch?

We cover all kinds of subjects. History is just one of many.
Nevertheless, in checking the archives of Net-Gold on the Temple
University Listserv server, there are no less than ten posts that mention
the name Halsall, and I do not believe there are any other Halsalls that
we have been covering. Here is what I found on this not particularly
history list.

From: "David P. Dillard"
<jw...@TEMPLE.EDU>
Subject: HISTORY : WEBLOGS: English Eclectic: Perspectives from a Gay
Catholic Social-Democratic British Historian with AIDS.
Comments: To: Net-Gold
<Net-...@yahoogroups.com>
<http://snipurl.com/ra5j>

From: "David P. Dillard"
<jw...@TEMPLE.EDU>
Subject: HOMOSEXUALITY: HISTORY : HISTORY: ISLAMIC:
[MEDIEV-L:47710] Islam and Homosexuality
Comments: To: Net-Gold
<Net-...@yahoogroups.com>
<http://snipurl.com/ra5m>

From: "David P. Dillard" <jw...@TEMPLE.EDU>
Subject: RELIGION: ISLAM AND MOSLEM : HISTORY: ISLAMIC:
Internet Islamic History Sourcebook
Comments: To: Net-Gold
<Net-...@yahoogroups.com>
<http://snipurl.com/ra5p>

From: Linda Brousseau
<BradL...@AOL.COM>
Subject: COUNTRIES: CHINA: HISTORY: CULTURE:
China Research Page / More
Comments: To:
Net-...@yahoogroups.com
<http://snipurl.com/ra5r>

[An aside here, I am most fortunate to have Linda Brousseau as co-owner
of Net-Gold. Like Paul, Linda works with a disability as a survivor of
two strokes, she is a wonderful person, she moderates two well known
genealogy groups and a recipe discussion group all on Yahoo Groups. Her
contributions to Net-Gold are invaluable.]

From: "David P. Dillard"
<jw...@TEMPLE.EDU>
Subject: HISTORY: MEDIEVAL: CRUSADES: RESOURCES:
History of the Crusades: An Online Course by E.L. Skip Knox
Comments: To: Net-Gold
<Net-...@yahoogroups.com>
<http://snipurl.com/ra5w>

From: "David P. Dillard"
<jw...@TEMPLE.EDU>
Subject: HISTORY: MEDIEVAL : FOLKLORE LEGENDS AND MYTHS:
Some Sources that Discuss Legends and Myths that Have Developed Regarding
Medieval History Comments:
To: Net-Gold
<Net-...@yahoogroups.com>
<http://snipurl.com/ra5y>

From: "David P. Dillard"
<jw...@ASTRO.OCIS.TEMPLE.EDU>
Subject: REFERENCE: ENCYCLOPEDIAS:
[MEDIEV-L:41104] RE: Wikipedia
Comments: To: Net-Gold
<Net-...@yahoogroups.com>
<http://snipurl.com/ra62>

From: "David P. Dillard"
<jw...@ASTRO.OCIS.TEMPLE.EDU>
Subject: [NetGold]
HISTORY: ANCIENT: ROMAN : LAW: HISTORY: Roman Law Resources
<http://snipurl.com/ra63>

From: "David P. Dillard"
<jw...@ASTRO.OCIS.TEMPLE.EDU>
Subject: MEDICAL: HISTORY: History of Medicine
<http://snipurl.com/ra65>

From: "David P. Dillard"
<jw...@ASTRO.OCIS.TEMPLE.EDU>
Subject: HISTORY: MEDIEVAL: RESOURCES:
The Orb Online Reference Book for Medieval Studies.
<http://snipurl.com/ra6a>

This Google search shows the extent to which Paul Halsall has shown up on
the net, allowing for a certain amount of false drops.

Web Results 1 - 10 of about 97,200 for "paul halsall" and history

More importantly we have these results in Google Scholar

Scholar Results 1 - 10 of about 125 for "paul halsall" and history.

And these results in Google Books

Book Search Books 1 - 10 with 63 pages on "paul halsall" and history.

However, if there are those who need to know instead only of scholarly
sources that contain his name, it could be pointed out that in Worldcat
found in FirstSearch of OCLC there are 375 records with Halsall within two
words of Paul with some of them being false drops but many of them having
to do with the Paul Halsall who posts to MEDIEV-L. Indeed the former
database NetFirst that was absorbed into WorldCat has been a major
contributor to this WorldCat content such that a search of Paul Halsall's
name as a keyword search produces a huge webliography of his internet
source lists and content within them.

Content Sample:

101. Chinese Cultural Studies: Selections of Chinese Poetry.
http://academic.brooklyn.cuny.edu/core9/phalsall/texts/c-poet1.html

Document: English : Internet Resource Computer File
Libraries Worldwide: 1
More Like This: Advanced options ...

102. Modern History Sourcebook: Yao Chen-Yuan: My Adventures During the
Boxer War, 1900.
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/1900yao-boxers.html

Document: English : Internet Resource Computer File
Libraries Worldwide: 1
More Like This: Advanced options ...

103. Medieval Sourcebook: John Wyclif: On the Sacrament of Communion.
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/wyclif-euch.html

Document: English : Internet Resource Computer File
Libraries Worldwide: 1
More Like This: Advanced options ...

104. Internet Modern History Sourcebook: Russian Revolution
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/modsbook39.html

Document: English : Internet Resource Computer File
Libraries Worldwide: 1
More Like This: Advanced options ...

105. Modern History Sourcebook: U.S. State Department: Aggression from
the North, February 27, 1965
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/USStateDept-vietnamfeb1965.html

Document: English : Internet Resource Computer File
Libraries Worldwide: 1
More Like This: Advanced options ...

106. Medieval Sourcebook: The Suppression of Glastonbury Abbey, 1539.
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/h8-glastonbury.html

Document: English : Internet Resource Computer File
Libraries Worldwide: 1
More Like This: Advanced options ...

107. Modern History Sourcebook: Will Adams: My Coming to Japan, 1611
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/1611adams-japan.html

Document: English : Internet Resource Computer File
Libraries Worldwide: 1
More Like This: Advanced options ...

108. Medieval Sourcebook: Roger of Hoveden: The Fall of Jerusalem, 1187
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/hoveden1187.html

Document: English : Internet Resource Computer File
Libraries Worldwide: 1
More Like This: Advanced options ...

109. Modern History Sourcebook: John Cabot (c.1450-1499): Voyage to North
America, 1497
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/1497cabot-3docs.html

Document: English : Internet Resource Computer File
Libraries Worldwide: 1
More Like This: Advanced options ...

110. Medieval Sourcebook: Jean Froissart: On The Hundred Years' War
(1337-1453)
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/froissart1.html

Document: English : Internet Resource Computer File

Paul Halsall has contributed much to those who wish to learn about
history and the other fields about which he has shared content and
resource lists regarding. Instead of having much of his work locked in
books that are inaccessable to many people on the Earth, extensive content
from Paul Halsall appears on the internet where it can be used by millions
of people. This certainly strikes me as a person who should be encouraged
to continue his excellent work and I certainly thank him for making so
many invaluable guides to history and beyond available for all to use on
their home computers or in libraries where one has computer access. Both
in media used and the creation of guides, Paul Halsall is a major
contributor to making history accessible to a mass audience.

Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584