NZ designed clock

Steve Rooke

Jun 8, 2011, 6:35:16 AM6/8/11
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I don't know if anyone is interested or this treads on anyone elses toes but I thought I'd bring it to the attention of the group.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/Other-electronics/Other/auction-381234183.htm

Steve
--
Steve Rooke - ZL3TUV & G8KVD
The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once. - Einstein

Wayne de Geere III

Jun 8, 2011, 6:45:26 AM6/8/11
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

I notice the eBay cloner who ripped the NZ clock designer off can't even be bothered to make new photos. how crass.

Per Jensen

Jun 8, 2011, 7:04:43 AM6/8/11
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Maybe the copies are that bad looking, since no actual pictures are shown. i would guess it's really hard to design a PCB like that, it must have taken ages for the original designer.

It could be a scammer too, you send money and never recieve a clock....

// Per.

Terry S

Jun 8, 2011, 7:42:54 AM6/8/11
to neonixie-l
So which one is the rip-off, the NZ clock or the Chinese clock?

On Jun 8, 5:35 am, Steve Rooke <sar10...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know if anyone is interested or this treads on anyone elses toes but
> I thought I'd bring it to the attention of the group.
>
> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/Other-electronics/Ot...

JohnK

Jun 8, 2011, 10:02:01 AM6/8/11
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Someone on this group [i thought] or an electronics forum I used to watch
pointed to these circuit boards at least a year ago IIRC.
The 'pointer' said it was work of his 'friend'... a web-friend i think.

The designer's name was given as Asian I thought.

Any one else remember this or am I totally having a 'senior-moment' ? [I am
old enough !]

John K
Australia

Jeff Thomas

Jun 8, 2011, 10:09:21 AM6/8/11
to neonixie-l
I especially liked his bullet list, and #4 in particular (copied below
for amusement). He obviously has a bit of experience in that dept.

"4. Please DO NOT try to clone the whole unit: - The manifold tracks
will kill you : - ). - MCU encoded, which means although you can clone
the board, you can't copy or fix the program in the MCU and the worst
thing is, with out the code, the remote won't work, you can't set the
time and the whole thing just won't work. "

@Yan, if you're reading the thread, my sincere condolences. Your idea
of the artistic trace layout was novel. So novel, that it was quickly
cloned.

I remember from some years back that Frank Bemelman (franktechniek.nl)
had his PIC program copied in an early clock design. and was being
sold by someone in HK.
It's been so long that I don't remember a lot about the details. I
suppose that might be another one to add to Brian's douchebag gallery.

Regards, Jeff

On Jun 8, 3:45 am, Wayne de Geere III <wa...@deGeere.com> wrote:
> I notice the eBay cloner who ripped the NZ clock designer off can't even be bothered to make new photos. how crass.
>
> On 2011 Jun 08, at 03:35 , Steve Rooke wrote:
>
> > I don't know if anyone is interested or this treads on anyone elses toes but I thought I'd bring it to the attention of the group.
>
> >http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/Other-electronics/Ot...

Stuckey

Jun 8, 2011, 11:11:53 AM6/8/11
to neonixie-l
Just added another seller to the counterfeit list. :-/