[neonixie-l] [NEONIXIE-L] Jeff's watch on the bay

瀏覽次數:144 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

jforb427

未讀,
2010年5月21日 晚上10:33:382010/5/21
收件者:NEONI...@yahoogroups.com

notimetoobrood

未讀,
2010年5月22日 下午3:12:092010/5/22
收件者:NEONI...@yahoogroups.com

Jim, thank you so very much for posting that, I snapped it right up......

--- In NEONI...@yahoogroups.com, "jforb427" <jforbnospam@...> wrote:

> Jeff has a 4 digit Nixie watch on the bay
>
> 110536428918
>
> Hasn't been available for a long time, neat to see he made some more.
>
> Jim

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

David Forbes

未讀,
2010年5月25日 凌晨1:42:432010/5/25
收件者:NEONI...@yahoogroups.com

>> Jeff has a 4 digit Nixie watch on the bay
>>

>> Hasn't been available for a long time, neat to see he made some more.
>>
>> Jim

The reason that so few of these watches were made is that the tubes are
unobtanium. But the Russian IN-17 is flooding the market.

I couldn't resist designing a four-digit IN-17 watch using the same
circuit that my two-digit nixie watch uses, but with a larger PIC and a
couple more cathode driver chips. To differentiate it from Jeff's
design, it will have the tubes above the battery and use a tilt sensor.

So far, it's fitting reasonably well. I'm thinking that a DL123CR
battery is the right power source for this watch, since battery holders
are available for that cell.

The only problem is that those tubes are awfully big. But they're cheap
and plentiful, so anyone who wants a super-huge 4-digit nixie watch
could have one.

The tubes are so tall that I'm thinking of using a trick to make the
whole thing have a bit lower profile: make the tube nipples stick
through the PC board and possibly into recesses in the bottom of the
case. All that's required to do this is to put a hole in the board at
the center of each tube, and to sand down the factory spacers on a belt
sander.

I think I'll publish the Gerber files for this board when I get it done.
No sense in having a nixie watch monopoly. Besides, nothing's stopping
anyone else in the world from designing this watch.

--
--David Forbes, Tucson AZ
http://www.cathodecorner.com/

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:

MARKETPLACE
.

__,_._,___

David Forbes

未讀,
2010年5月26日 下午1:45:582010/5/26
收件者:NEONI...@yahoogroups.com

I did a bit of fooling around in PCAD...

http://www.cathodecorner.com/nw35/

It's not done yet, but everything fits. I need to add a smaller
programming connector.

The tens of hours tube is to be an NE-2H neon lamp glued to the side of
the hours tube with RTV silicone adhesive. It should be a decent '1'.

The board dimensions are 2.2" wide by 1.55" tall.

--
--David Forbes, Tucson AZ
http://www.cathodecorner.com/

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:

MARKETPLACE
.

__,_._,___

jforb427

未讀,
2010年5月26日 下午6:12:312010/5/26
收件者:NEONI...@yahoogroups.com

Oh, that's why you haven't built the torpedo boards yet!

How about having the IN17s lay down like this?

<http://www.theledwatch.com/gallery/watches/Web-site-GP.jpg>

--- In NEONI...@yahoogroups.com, David Forbes <dforbes@...> wrote:

> I did a bit of fooling around in PCAD...
>
> http://www.cathodecorner.com/nw35/

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:

.

__,_._,___

The Fool

未讀,
2010年5月25日 上午10:29:112010/5/25
收件者:NEONI...@yahoogroups.com

[edited by A.J. - please trim quoted material]

--- In NEONI...@yahoogroups.com, David Forbes <dforbes@...> wrote:

> > [Jim wrote:]

> >> Jeff has a 4 digit Nixie watch on the bay
> >>
> >> Hasn't been available for a long time, neat to see he made some more.
>

> The reason that so few of these watches were made is that the tubes are
> unobtanium. But the Russian IN-17 is flooding the market.
>
> I couldn't resist designing a four-digit IN-17 watch using the same
> circuit that my two-digit nixie watch uses, but with a larger PIC and a
> couple more cathode driver chips.

<snip>

> The only problem is that those tubes are awfully big. But they're cheap
> and plentiful, so anyone who wants a super-huge 4-digit nixie watch
> could have one.

<snip>

> I think I'll publish the Gerber files for this board when I get it done.
> No sense in having a nixie watch monopoly. Besides, nothing's stopping
> anyone else in the world from designing this watch.

Have you looked at using the Burrroughs B-4021 tubes?

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:

MARKETPLACE
.

__,_._,___

Kent J Faulring

未讀,
2010年5月26日 晚上8:12:552010/5/26
收件者:NEONI...@yahoogroups.com

________________________________
From: David Forbes <dfo...@dakotacom.net>

I did a bit of fooling around in PCAD...

http://www.cathodecorner.com/nw35/

It's not done yet, but everything fits. I need to add a smaller
programming connector.

The tens of hours tube is to be an NE-2H neon lamp glued to the side of
the hours tube with RTV silicone adhesive. It should be a decent '1'.

The board dimensions are 2.2" wide by 1.55" tall.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:

MARKETPLACE
.

__,_._,___

David Forbes

未讀,
2010年5月26日 晚上11:39:312010/5/26
收件者:NEONI...@yahoogroups.com

On 5/25/10 7:29 AM, The Fool wrote:

>> The reason that so few of these watches were made is that the tubes are
>> unobtanium. But the Russian IN-17 is flooding the market.
>

> Have you looked at using the Burrroughs B-4021 tubes?

The B-4021 or NL-7977 is the tube that Jeff used in his original watch,
and it is not available. That's why you can't buy Jeff's watch.

--
--David Forbes, Tucson AZ
http://www.cathodecorner.com/

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

Jan Wuesten

未讀,
2010年5月27日 凌晨1:58:462010/5/27
收件者:NEONI...@yahoogroups.com

Hello,

anybody considering a watch using horizontally mounted side view
tubes ?

I have quite a bunch of tiny 9,5mm digit size tubes, if anybody is
interested please mail me off-list

Jan

Mit freundlichen Gruessen---best regards----cordialement

Dipl.-Ing. Jan Philipp Wuesten

Frag'Jan zuerst - Ask Jan First GmbH & Co. KG
Preiler Ring 10 ; D- 25774 Lehe, Germany
Phone: +49-4882-6054551 Fax : +49-4882-6054552
<http://www.die-wuestens.de> (Deutsch, English, Francais)
mail to <F...@gmx.de> or <F...@die-wuestens.de>
HR A4788 PI, Vertretung: Wüsten Verw.GmbH, HR B 6295 PI
Registergericht Pinneberg. GF: Jan Wüsten; UStID: DE814610403
Aktuelle Info: Abonnieren Sie unseren Newsletter
Stay updated: Subscribe to our newsletter:
Restez en ligne: Abonnez-vous à notre courriel d'information:

Info: <http://www.wuesten.net/news.htm>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:

MARKETPLACE
.

__,_._,___

Jan Wuesten

未讀,
2010年5月27日 凌晨2:01:442010/5/27
收件者:NEONI...@yahoogroups.com

> The tens of hours tube is to be an NE-2H neon lamp glued to the side of
> the hours tube with RTV silicone adhesive. It should be a decent '1'.

Warning: take care with silicon: when it hardens it releases acetic
acid ( vinegar) which is very reactive both with lead ( solder) and
even worse: copper.
It will eat up your circuits, silicone is NOT recommended for
electronics !!!

Jan

Mit freundlichen Gruessen---best regards----cordialement

Dipl.-Ing. Jan Philipp Wuesten

Frag'Jan zuerst - Ask Jan First GmbH & Co. KG
Preiler Ring 10 ; D- 25774 Lehe, Germany
Phone: +49-4882-6054551 Fax : +49-4882-6054552
<http://www.die-wuestens.de> (Deutsch, English, Francais)
mail to <F...@gmx.de> or <F...@die-wuestens.de>
HR A4788 PI, Vertretung: Wüsten Verw.GmbH, HR B 6295 PI
Registergericht Pinneberg. GF: Jan Wüsten; UStID: DE814610403
Aktuelle Info: Abonnieren Sie unseren Newsletter
Stay updated: Subscribe to our newsletter:
Restez en ligne: Abonnez-vous à notre courriel d'information:

Info: <http://www.wuesten.net/news.htm>

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

Quixotic Nixotic

未讀,
2010年5月27日 凌晨3:39:142010/5/27
收件者:NEONI...@yahoogroups.com

On 27 May 2010, at 07:01, Jan Wuesten wrote:

> Warning: take care with silicon:

Was it Chris 'Fixitsan' Barron who had the problem with shipping a
nixie clock that had silicon inside it somewhere? The clock was
intercepted at the airport and exploded with a high-velocity water
jet on the runway because the silicon and neon gas inside looked
suspicious. The person who built the clock got a dawn raid by the
riot squad. I expect I got the story all wrong, but this could be
another reason not to use silicon.

John S

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

Terry

未讀,
2010年5月27日 上午10:21:532010/5/27
收件者:NEONI...@yahoogroups.com

There are silicone RTV formulations that do NOT use acetic acid as a curing agent, they are designed specifically for electronic applications. They are non-corrosive. We use them in production for securing capacitors and inductors on our PCB's. Dow Corning 3140 comes to mind.

> Warning: take care with silicon: when it hardens it releases acetic
> acid ( vinegar) which is very reactive both with lead ( solder) and
> even worse: copper.
> It will eat up your circuits, silicone is NOT recommended for
> electronics !!!
>
> Jan
>

> Mit freundlichen Gruessen---best regards----cordialement
>
> Dipl.-Ing. Jan Philipp Wuesten
>
> Frag'Jan zuerst - Ask Jan First GmbH & Co. KG
> Preiler Ring 10 ; D- 25774 Lehe, Germany
> Phone: +49-4882-6054551 Fax : +49-4882-6054552
> <http://www.die-wuestens.de> (Deutsch, English, Francais)

> mail to <FJZ@...> or <FJZ@...>

> HR A4788 PI, Vertretung: Wüsten Verw.GmbH, HR B 6295 PI
> Registergericht Pinneberg. GF: Jan Wüsten; UStID: DE814610403
> Aktuelle Info: Abonnieren Sie unseren Newsletter
> Stay updated: Subscribe to our newsletter:
> Restez en ligne: Abonnez-vous à notre courriel d'information:
>
> Info: <http://www.wuesten.net/news.htm>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:

MARKETPLACE
.

__,_._,___

Jan Wuesten

未讀,
2010年5月27日 上午11:08:102010/5/27
收件者:NEONI...@yahoogroups.com

To: NEONI...@yahoogroups.com
From: "Terry" <tschw...@aol.com>
Date sent: Thu, 27 May 2010 14:21:53 -0000
Subject: [NEONIXIE-L] Re: NO SILICONE, was russian watch
Send reply to: NEONI...@yahoogroups.com

> There are silicone RTV formulations that do NOT use acetic acid as a curing agent, they are designed specifically for electronic applications. They are non-corrosive. We use them in production for securing capacitors and inductors on our PCB's. Dow Corning 3140 comes to mind.

the acetic acid is the condensation product (polycondensation) during
hardening, some silicones produce water instead.
If this is a good alternative being corrosive as well...

I know there are "electronics-friendly" silicones but the average
household silicone is not...

Jan

Mit freundlichen Gruessen---best regards----cordialement

Dipl.-Ing. Jan Philipp Wuesten

Frag'Jan zuerst - Ask Jan First GmbH & Co. KG
Preiler Ring 10 ; D- 25774 Lehe, Germany
Phone: +49-4882-6054551 Fax : +49-4882-6054552
<http://www.die-wuestens.de> (Deutsch, English, Francais)

HR A4788 PI, Vertretung: Wüsten Verw.GmbH, HR B 6295 PI
Registergericht Pinneberg. GF: Jan Wüsten; UStID: DE814610403
Aktuelle Info: Abonnieren Sie unseren Newsletter
Stay updated: Subscribe to our newsletter:
Restez en ligne: Abonnez-vous à notre courriel d'information:

Info: <http://www.wuesten.net/news.htm>

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

yendor3

未讀,
2010年5月27日 下午1:26:572010/5/27
收件者:NEONI...@yahoogroups.com

I have used the Neutral Cure silicone sealants available at
hardware/handyman stores and they are fine with copper/electronics. usually
cheaper and easier to get than the pro RTV. [At work we used pro high
volt/high temp stuff.]

BTW, the smell from the neutral cure worried me about just how 'neutral' it
would be... but was fine.
John K.

There are silicone RTV formulations that do NOT use acetic acid as a curing
agent, they are designed specifically for electronic applications. They are
non-corrosive. We use them in production for securing capacitors and
inductors on our PCB's. Dow Corning 3140 comes to mind.

> Warning: take care with silicon: when it hardens it releases acetic
> acid ( vinegar) which is very reactive both with lead ( solder) and
> even worse: copper.

...clip....

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:

MARKETPLACE
.

__,_._,___

James

未讀,
2010年5月27日 下午4:48:562010/5/27
收件者:NEONI...@yahoogroups.com

> the acetic acid is the condensation product (polycondensation) during
> hardening, some silicones produce water instead.
> If this is a good alternative being corrosive as well...
>
> I know there are "electronics-friendly" silicones but the average
> household silicone is not...
>
> Jan

It may not be advisable, but I've used it before many times and have not had any problems. The acid seems to disperse rather quickly and I've never observed any significant corrosion. Your mileage may vary though, the electronics grade stuff is recommended. Isn't the "sensor safe" automotive stuff designed not to harm oxygen sensors also acid free?

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:

MARKETPLACE
.

__,_._,___

Tidak Ada

未讀,
2010年5月27日 凌晨3:48:202010/5/27
收件者:NEONI...@yahoogroups.com

Van: NEONI...@yahoogroups.com Namens yendor3

BTW, the smell from the neutral cure worried me about just how 'neutral' it
would be... but was fine.

-----

The same with medical grade silicone, that however, has a pH of about 7,4
(neutral body pH), so rather basic than acid! (Acetic acid buffers at about
pH 3,2!)

eric

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

Kent J Faulring

未讀,
2010年5月27日 上午9:59:212010/5/27

From: Jan Wuesten <f...@die-wuestens.de>
[David Forbes wrote:]

> The tens of hours tube is to be an NE-2H neon lamp glued to the side of
> the hours tube with RTV silicone adhesive. It should be a decent '1'.

Warning: take care with silicon: when it hardens it releases acetic
acid ( vinegar) which is very reactive both with lead ( solder) and
even worse: copper.
It will eat up your circuits, silicone is NOT recommended for
electronics !!!

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:

.

__,_._,___

The Fool

未讀,
2010年5月27日 中午12:29:502010/5/27
收件者:NEONI...@yahoogroups.com

The Sphere web site shows 22 of them for sale. They're part of an assembly but the leads look long enough to be reused.

--- In NEONI...@yahoogroups.com, David Forbes <dforbes@...> wrote:

> The B-4021 or NL-7977 is the tube that Jeff used in his original watch,
> and it is not available. That's why you can't buy Jeff's watch.

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

David Forbes

未讀,
2010年5月27日 下午6:32:522010/5/27
收件者:NEONI...@yahoogroups.com

The Sphere website does list 22 of those small round tubes; I just saw them
after reading your message. That's enough for six Jeff watches. Not what I would
call a useful supply, since I seem to be shipping six nixie watches every two
weeks.

The IN-17 is available by the thousands on ebay.

By the way, the "driver watch" would use the same circuitry, but with the
circuit board split in half to allow connection to the tube bases on one board
and most of the circuits on the other board. Sort of like Mike Harrison's old
car clock:
http://www.electricstuff.co.uk/mikesclocks.html#carclk
He wasn't trying to make it as small as possible, but he came close.

On 5/27/2010 9:29 AM, The Fool wrote:
> The Sphere web site shows 22 of them for sale.
>
> They're part of an assembly but the leads look long enough to be reused.
>
> --- In NEONI...@yahoogroups.com, David Forbes<dforbes@...> wrote:
>
>> The B-4021 or NL-7977 is the tube that Jeff used in his original watch,
>> and it is not available. That's why you can't buy Jeff's watch.

--
David Forbes, Tucson, AZ

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

fixitsan2

未讀,
2010年5月27日 下午6:54:042010/5/27
收件者:NEONI...@yahoogroups.com

--- In NEONI...@yahoogroups.com, Quixotic Nixotic <nixotic1@...> wrote:

> On 27 May 2010, at 07:01, Jan Wuesten wrote:
>
> > Warning: take care with silicon:
>
> Was it Chris 'Fixitsan' Barron who had the problem with shipping a
> nixie clock that had silicon inside it somewhere? The clock was
> intercepted at the airport and exploded with a high-velocity water
> jet on the runway because the silicon and neon gas inside looked
> suspicious. The person who built the clock got a dawn raid by the
> riot squad. I expect I got the story all wrong, but this could be
> another reason not to use silicon.
>
> John S

Yep that's close enough John.
It was just post 9/11 and the explosives detectors at Glasgow airport which had coloured screens had just been installed. Apparently the RTV glows the same colour on the screen as some well known explosives. Glasgow airport was closed. Bomb disposal arrived and used a water cartridge to tear a hole through the clock.
Shortly afterwards a policeman arrived at my home, after identifying the sender's address marking, to ask me what it actually was in the package. I had an identical clock ready to be shipped and was able to show him the guts and the RTV sealant.

I fully expected the package to be returned to me, but the next thing I heard was fro the irate buyer who initiated an eBay grievance for poor packaging - the clock arrived with most of the guts hanging out of the package. Both Z5680 tubes were broken.

I sent him two replacement tubes and his friend followed my schematic to reconnect the broken wires.

I still got a negative feedback on eBay for that, my only one which didn't disappear until I had a feedback of 500. bummer !

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

Barrett

未讀,
2010年6月7日 下午6:19:352010/6/7
收件者:NEONI...@yahoogroups.com

Just now came upon this in the adafruit blog:
http://www.adafruit.com/blog/2010/06/03/new-nixie-tube-watch/
I don't know how many he'll be building. I'm fairly certain quantity isn't his motivator. I want one of these. Ar you going to copy it using IN-17's?

/Barrett

--- In NEONI...@yahoogroups.com, David Forbes <dforbes@...> wrote:

> The Sphere website does list 22 of those small round tubes; I just saw them
> after reading your message. That's enough for six Jeff watches. Not what I would
> call a useful supply, since I seem to be shipping six nixie watches every two
> weeks.
>
> The IN-17 is available by the thousands on ebay.
>

> --
> David Forbes, Tucson, AZ

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:

MARKETPLACE
.

__,_._,___

David Forbes

未讀,
2010年6月7日 下午6:29:322010/6/7
收件者:NEONI...@yahoogroups.com

On 6/7/10 3:19 PM, Barrett wrote:

> Just now came upon this in the adafruit blog:
> http://www.adafruit.com/blog/2010/06/03/new-nixie-tube-watch/
> I don't know how many he'll be building. I'm fairly certain quantity isn't his motivator.
> I want one of these. Ar you going to copy it using IN-17's?
>
> /Barrett

Yeah, I saw that too. Great minds think alike, eh?
I don't intend to make a watch just like what he's doing, though.

I'm thinking about it. An IN-17 gizmo makes sense, I just don't know
what it would look like yet.

--
--David Forbes, Tucson AZ
http://www.cathodecorner.com/

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

Ben McKeller

未讀,
2010年6月7日 下午6:31:282010/6/7
收件者:NEONI...@yahoogroups.com

I heard he was making 15 of them at $495 a piece

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 6:29 PM, David Forbes <dfo...@dakotacom.net> wrote:
> On 6/7/10 3:19 PM, Barrett wrote:
> > Just now came upon this in the adafruit blog:
> > http://www.adafruit.com/blog/2010/06/03/new-nixie-tube-watch/
> > I don't know how many he'll be building. I'm fairly certain quantity
> isn't his motivator.
> > I want one of these. Ar you going to copy it using IN-17's?
>

> Yeah, I saw that too. Great minds think alike, eh?
> I don't intend to make a watch just like what he's doing, though.
>
> I'm thinking about it. An IN-17 gizmo makes sense, I just don't know
> what it would look like yet.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:

MARKETPLACE
.

__,_._,___

David Forbes

未讀,
2010年6月11日 凌晨2:06:352010/6/11
收件者:NEONI...@yahoogroups.com

I just received a batch of IN-17 tubes from the Ukraine.

These tubes are rather nice, although I wish they were just a tad
smaller. Fortunately, the big plastic lead former slides off, revealing
a set of leads that are thin, flexible copper-plated steel (Kovar?) near
the bulb.

I discovered that the leads are easy to trim to about 4mm long,
straighten with tweezers, and tin with regular solder, so they can be
inserted into the same Mill-Max -0569 pins that I use on my 2-digit
Nixie watch.

So I'll go ahead and make the board that I was planning to make
originally, fitting 3 tubes and a neon bulb for the '1' and a CR2
battery with upright PC board contacts into a space 2.20" wide by 1.45"
tall by ~1.0" thick. Also with setting buttons, programming jack and
tilt sensor for automatic display.

It could use a case, but those are easy to make rectangular.
--

David Forbes, Tucson AZ
http://www.cathodecorner.com/

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

jforb427

未讀,
2010年6月11日 凌晨2:10:162010/6/11
收件者:NEONI...@yahoogroups.com

--- In NEONI...@yahoogroups.com, David Forbes <dforbes@...> wrote:

> It could use a case, but those are easy to make rectangular.

how about round, the other way? SCULL

:)

Bring a tube with you tomorrow?

Jim
(off to a double Nixie watch weekend)

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:

.

__,_._,___

Dmitri Vorobiev

未讀,
2010年6月11日 清晨5:12:102010/6/11
收件者:NEONI...@yahoogroups.com

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 9:06 AM, David Forbes <dfo...@dakotacom.net> wrote:
> I just received a batch of IN-17 tubes from the Ukraine.

Hello David,

Is the "5" character a normal "5" there or an upside down "2" as in IN-12?
Is there a decimal point?

I'm asking because I'd like to figure out which Soviet nixies come with a
normal "5" and a decimal point. So far I've found that IN-8-2 do, but maybe
there are more?

Thanks.

Dmitri

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:

MARKETPLACE
.

__,_._,___

Steve_S

未讀,
2010年6月12日 上午8:16:332010/6/12

--- On Fri, 6/11/10, Dmitri Vorobiev <dmitri....@gmail.com> wrote:

Is the "5" character a normal "5" there or an upside down "2" as in IN-12?

Is there a decimal point?

<snip>
---

 IN-17's have a "correct" 5.  No decimal point.
Datasheet here ->http://www.neonixie.com/in-17/index.html

 They are fairly nice looking small nixies.  Some have better looking (finer) anode screens than others.  Their wire leads mean no sockets to find or improvise.
  ~ Steve S.
- - - - -
and the people bowed and prayed
 to the neon god they made...
- - - - -

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

David Forbes

未讀,
2010年6月15日 晚上11:03:172010/6/15
收件者:NEONI...@yahoogroups.com

More IN-17 information:

The tubes that I have, date code 9003, are significantly smaller than
the data sheet lets on. Presumably, this allows for the production
variations to be expected with molten glass.

The maximum dimensions of 4 random tubes, less spacer:

Diameter: 18mm
Width: 12.5mm
Depth: 20.5mm
Nipple length: 4.5mm
Lead diameter: 0.4mm

There are twelve wire leads in the header, but one is cut off at the
factory.

--
David Forbes, Tucson AZ
http://www.cathodecorner.com/

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

David Forbes

未讀,
2010年6月16日 凌晨12:37:052010/6/16
收件者:NEONI...@yahoogroups.com

I went to an underwater robot competition last weekend with my brother
and nephews. We did OK. Now I need to work on something else.

The latest word on my IN-17 Nixie watch design...

I have determined that a standard top-viewing form factor makes the most
sense for me to design, rather than a driver's watch. It's easier to
make a case for, and the tilt sensor will work properly.

I have taken the smaller tube dimensions into account, and come up with
a circuit board size of 1.95" wide by 1.35" tall. This uses a CR2
battery, but it could use a CR123A instead. The battery connection is a
pair of tall terminals such as I used on my 2-digit watch, one spring,
one concave.

The display has three Nixie digits plus one neon lamp for the leftmost
'1' digit. So don't try to view it in 24 hour mode. There is no colon --
you know where the minutes are.

I plan to make a rectangular case about 0.10" thick out of 3D printed
ABS plastic at first, then either machined aluminum or molded plastic if
the project warrants it.

The overall dimensions are expected to be:
1.55" 40mm tall
2.20" 56mm wide
1.10" 28mm thick

For reference, Jeff Thomas' original Nixie watch was 1.7" tall by 2.7"
wide by 1.2" thick, according to his website. This is slightly smaller,
with a sturdier case, but it is the same basic idea.

I still haven't worked out what the seam between the case front and back
will look like. Perhaps it will become clear after I do some 3D CAD
design work, which hasn't happened yet. Ideas?

Drawings to follow as I get further along in the design process.

--
David Forbes, Tucson AZ
http://www.cathodecorner.com/

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:

MARKETPLACE
.

__,_._,___

Barrett

未讀,
2010年6月16日 上午11:44:202010/6/16
收件者:NEONI...@yahoogroups.com

--- In NEONI...@yahoogroups.com, David Forbes <dforbes@...> wrote:

> On 6/7/10 3:19 PM, Barrett wrote:
> >
> > Just now came upon this in the adafruit blog:
> > http://www.adafruit.com/blog/2010/06/03/new-nixie-tube-watch/
> > I don't know how many he'll be building. I'm fairly certain quantity isn't his motivator.
> > I want one of these. Ar you going to copy it using IN-17's?
> >
> > /Barrett
> >

> Yeah, I saw that too. Great minds think alike, eh?
> I don't intend to make a watch just like what he's doing, though.
>
> I'm thinking about it. An IN-17 gizmo makes sense, I just don't know
> what it would look like yet.
> --
> --David Forbes, Tucson AZ
> http://www.cathodecorner.com/

In a friendly way I think yu give yourself too much credit.

/Barrett

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

David Forbes

未讀,
2010年6月16日 下午1:20:452010/6/16
收件者:NEONI...@yahoogroups.com

On 6/16/10 8:44 AM, Barrett wrote:
> --- In NEONI...@yahoogroups.com, David Forbes<dforbes@...> wrote:
>>
>> On 6/7/10 3:19 PM, Barrett wrote:
>>>
>>> Just now came upon this in the adafruit blog:
>>> http://www.adafruit.com/blog/2010/06/03/new-nixie-tube-watch/
>>> I don't know how many he'll be building. I'm fairly certain quantity isn't his motivator.
>> > I want one of these. Ar you going to copy it using IN-17's?
>>>
>>> /Barrett
>>>

>> Yeah, I saw that too. Great minds think alike, eh?
>> I don't intend to make a watch just like what he's doing, though.
>>
>> I'm thinking about it. An IN-17 gizmo makes sense, I just don't know
>> what it would look like yet.
>> --
>> --David Forbes, Tucson AZ
>> http://www.cathodecorner.com/
>

> In a friendly way I think yu give yourself too much credit.
>
> /Barrett

Barrett,

Hi. I was being facetious - which unfortunately doesn't often work well
in email.

A.J. Franzman had the idea for a B4998 driver's watch several years ago.
Jeff appears to have found some tubes, and is taking that idea and
running with it. Good for him - I don't want to design something that
complex with a total production run of ~25 units.

The 'great minds' idea I referred to was the use of three nixie tubes
and a neon lamp for the leftmost digit.

I agree that Jeff's original 4-digit nixie watch was a wonderful idea
and quite the original product. It's just that it hasn't been available
for eight years due to the lack of small end-view tubes. I am trying to
solve that problem by using the common-as-dirt IN-17. That's something
that no one else in the world is doing, as far as I know.

Again, nothing is stopping anyone else on this list from producing nixie
watches.

--

David Forbes, Tucson AZ
http://www.cathodecorner.com/

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:

MARKETPLACE
.

__,_._,___

jforb427

未讀,
2010年6月16日 下午1:29:282010/6/16
收件者:NEONI...@yahoogroups.com

Nick

未讀,
2010年6月16日 下午3:54:342010/6/16
收件者:NEONI...@yahoogroups.com

David Forbes

未讀,
2010年6月16日 晚上8:38:572010/6/16
收件者:NEONI...@yahoogroups.com

On 6/16/10 10:29 AM, jforb427 wrote:

> --- In NEONI...@yahoogroups.com, David Forbes<dforbes@...> wrote:
>
>> Again, nothing is stopping anyone else on this list from producing nixie watches.
>
> .....aside from the greatness of their mind?
>
> Jim

Nonsense! This list has many perfectly capable people.

The stuff required is merely a credit card, a few hundred hours of spare
time, and a bit of gumption.

--
David Forbes, Tucson AZ
http://www.cathodecorner.com/

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

Barrett

未讀,
2010年6月16日 晚上9:31:382010/6/16
收件者:NEONI...@yahoogroups.com

--- In NEONI...@yahoogroups.com, David Forbes <dforbes@...> wrote:

> On 6/16/10 10:29 AM, jforb427 wrote:
> >

> > --- In NEONI...@yahoogroups.com, David Forbes<dforbes@> wrote:
> >
> >> Again, nothing is stopping anyone else on this list from producing nixie watches.
> >
> > .....aside from the greatness of their mind?
> >
> > Jim
> >

> Nonsense! This list has many perfectly capable people.
>
> The stuff required is merely a credit card, a few hundred hours of spare
> time, and a bit of gumption.
>

> --
> David Forbes, Tucson AZ
> http://www.cathodecorner.com/

Are you talking to yurself?
:/

/Barrett

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:

.

__,_._,___

threeneurons

未讀,
2010年6月16日 晚上9:46:322010/6/16
收件者:NEONI...@yahoogroups.com

> David Forbes <dforbes@...> wrote:
>
> The stuff required:
> - credit card,
> - a few hundred hours of spare time,
> - and a bit of gumption.
>
> http://www.cathodecorner.com/

Gumption is sorely underrated:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/gumption

Not just with this particular project, but taking on any project, hobby, or any other endeavor. If you want to make something, just do it. If something goes wrong, that's another job for that credit card. (Better not be reading this with your wife looking over your shoulder).

A few fried parts adds character to any home workshop. Also a few fail in such a fun manner. Carbon comp resistors flame out. Unformed electrolytics, pop their can, or shoot off like rockets. Some old LEDs actually exploded. All good stuff ... to some.

http://www.vmars.org.uk/capacitor_reforming.htm

If its from woodworking, it's just more firewood. Just make sure you haven't painted, stained or varnished it yet. But then the screw ups are usually before that point.

Of course, if you really screw up, on both an expensive hobby, at home, and something even more expensive, at work, then you'll maybe pick up some spare time, minus a job, and a wife. Oh ... there goes the credit card. Damn !

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

Quixotic Nixotic

未讀,
2010年6月17日 凌晨3:25:332010/6/17
收件者:NEONI...@yahoogroups.com

David Forbes

未讀,
2010年6月17日 凌晨2:35:242010/6/17
收件者:NEONI...@yahoogroups.com

I had some quiet time, so I finished my 3.5 digit Nixie watch PC board
layout. I'll get it fabricated real soon and build a prototype board to
see if it works.

The latest drawings are here.

http://www.cathodecorner.com/nw35/NW35A6art.pdf
http://www.cathodecorner.com/nw35/NW35A6schem.pdf

The resistor values are subject to change.

Next, I need to design a case. That's the fun part.

--
David Forbes, Tucson AZ
http://www.cathodecorner.com/

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

John Rehwinkel

未讀,
2010年6月17日 上午8:52:242010/6/17
收件者:NEONI...@yahoogroups.com

On Jun 17, 2010, at 3:25 AM, Quixotic Nixotic wrote:

> For me, my problems start when I reach for the ancient tin of flux
> and find the ancient tin of gumption instead.
>
> http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2432/3607932967_045c25e5ca_b.jpg

Oh, that's wonderful! Thanks for sharing, that started my day with a smile!

- John R

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:

.

__,_._,___

John Rehwinkel

未讀,
2010年6月17日 上午8:51:402010/6/17
收件者:NEONI...@yahoogroups.com

On Jun 16, 2010, at 1:20 PM, David Forbes wrote:

> Again, nothing is stopping anyone else on this list from producing nixie
> watches.

And I'll add that not only does David not mind any of us making nixie watches of our own, he's been very helpful, sharing his designs, answering questions, even pointing out the pitfalls and gotchas peculiar to nixie watches themselves. I've met him, he's nifty in person, too.

- John

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:

MARKETPLACE
.

__,_._,___

Steve Rooke

未讀,
2010年6月17日 凌晨2:49:282010/6/17
收件者:NEONI...@yahoogroups.com

On 17 June 2010 12:38, David Forbes <dfo...@dakotacom.net> wrote:
> On 6/16/10 10:29 AM, jforb427 wrote:

> > David Forbes <dforbes@...> wrote:
> >> Again, nothing is stopping anyone else on this list from
> >> producing nixie watches.
> >
> > .....aside from the greatness of their mind?
>

> Nonsense! This list has many perfectly capable people.
>
> The stuff required is merely a credit card, a few hundred hours of spare
> time, and a bit of gumption.

So where do I buy the credit card, a few hundred hours of spare time, and a
bit of gumption?

Steve, Other side of the World, NZ

--
Steve Rooke - ZL3TUV & G8KVD
The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once. -

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:

MARKETPLACE
.

__,_._,___

Sean Voisen

未讀,
2010年6月18日 下午1:08:332010/6/18
收件者:NEONI...@yahoogroups.com

Perhaps it also takes some gumption just to wear one.

Yesterday I wore one of David Forbes' watches through airport security
and on my flight up to San Francisco ... an interesting social
experiment. TSA didn't even give it a second look on the way up, but
on my way home it got a thorough inspection and a lot of raised
eyebrows. One TSA employee wanted to buy one. The guy who sat in the
seat next to me may also soon be a customer, citing its sheer
impracticality as his primary motivation for purchase.

Sean

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:

    MARKETPLACE
    .

    __,_._,___

    David Forbes

    未讀,
    2010年6月21日 凌晨12:36:392010/6/21
    收件者:NEONI...@yahoogroups.com

    My nephew Steve, who just earned a Bachelor's degree in Mech. Eng.,
    visited on Saturday afternoon. We produced a 3D model of the 3.5 digit
    Nixie watch case in SolidWorks. It's a prototype, to be made on a 3D
    printer from plastic for test purposes. The production case will be
    alumin(i)um.

    I made a little preliminary website with artist renderings:

    http://www.cathodecorner.com/nw35/index.html

    I expect to get the whole thing sent out for fabrication this week.
    That means that I could be wearing one of these things by mid-July.

    Curiosity: I noticed on Jeff Thomas' website for his new 3.5 digit Nixie
    driver's watch that he made his PC boards big enough (19mm tall) to
    accommodate the IN-17 tubes, although he chose to use the tiny and rare
    B-4998 tubes. Nothing like limiting your market preemptively.

    http://www.amug.org/~jthomas/watch2.html

    This is fun! Why are all the nixie watch designers in Arizona?

    --
    David Forbes, Tucson AZ
    http://www.cathodecorner.com/

    __._,_.___