RE: [Husker] Cozgrove: We were lucky the first 3 quarters

1 view

Scott R Lawson

Oct 31, 2007, 4:39:36 PM10/31/07
Well I don't know, as much as I think the guy's a dope, he does make a
valid point here- if Texas was able to figure that blitz out early,
McCoy would've thrown about 6 touchdowns in the first half. But, that's
the gamble when running that type of scheme. After all, aren't most
gamblers relying on a lot of 'luck'? My guess is (and I had not seen
Longhorns all year prior to this game so this is purely a guess) the
Texas offense had problems picking up blitzes, either by certain
offensive linemen or their running backs, so the coaches noticed this in
film study. I know the fans want to think the coaches went balls out
last week because they had no alternative, but that is seldom the case
regardless of the teams' record- it's usually based largely on something
they noticed about Texas on film when preparing the game plan.

Scott in NY

Oct 31, 2007, 4:31:34 PM10/31/07

Scott R Lawson

Oct 31, 2007, 4:43:50 PM10/31/07
Now, the real question is, will Kansas be able to pick up the blitz
effectively or not? I have not seen any of their games yet so I don't
know what their 'weaknesses' are on offense (in the blocking/protection
schemes that is) so that is the $64,000 question for the NU staff this
week.

Not to mention, KU has no idea what Ganz can do (I'm not even sure GANZ
has a good idea what Ganz can do ;-)) so this could be a very
interesting game indeed.

Scott in NY

Oct 31, 2007, 5:23:52 PM10/31/07
On 10/31/07 1:31 PM, "Skylar Dodds" <sklar...@cox.net> wrote:

> The man (Coz) just flat out doesn't get it, methinks.His defense played the

best 3
> quarters of the year and his comment is "We were lucky", hmm.
>
> His reactions/comments/strategies really just leave you scratching your head
> sometimes.

I agree. This is the worst news. I was thinking we had a chance before I
heard this. During the game the announcers were saying Nebraska averaged
blitzing 38% of the time last year and have averaged blitzing 18% of the
time this year. We don't have to go balls out 100 percent like we did
against Texas, but I think we have to be in the 40-50% neighborhood to stand
a chance. Give quarterbacks time and they will pick you apart. Pressure
defense is essential against good qbs.

After each blow-out loss, Coz would say the blitz is too dangerous, you can
get burned. Meanwhile, we were getting burned without it. How much worse
could things be? How about a three point loss to Texas on the road vs. blow
out losses to unranked teams at home. Blitz! Please. Blitz.

todd strong

Oct 31, 2007, 8:02:36 PM10/31/07
Duh!
I am scratching my head, wondering if it is even worth replying to Coz.
comments.

"Would the boy I was yesterday, be proud of the man I am today?"

> On 1620 today, they said Coz spoke after practice about the recent
> defensive
> performance. He said that anytime you blitz that much there's always a
> chance for big plays. We got lucky the first 3 quarters.
>
> When asked why they blitzed so much, he said we wanted a very up-tempo
> defense and it was working early. He also said hopefully we don't have to
> do
> that to motivate them every time.
>

> The man just flat out doesn't get it, methinks.His defense played the best

> 3
> quarters of the year and his comment is "We were lucky", hmm.
>
> His reactions/comments/strategies really just leave you scratching your
> head
> sometimes.
>

> --
> Skylar
> mailto: sklar...@cox.net

todd strong

Oct 31, 2007, 8:06:22 PM10/31/07
My prediction......Cosgrove goes back to "his" basics and KU rolls up forty
by half time.
If Cosgrove were to keep attacking and blitzing...you know....hit the other
guy in the mouth until he gives up, NU would have a chance.