For those of us who miss Radio Shack....

Bob Herrin

Oct 25, 2009, 8:09:03 PM10/25/09
to ne...@googlegroups.com, Athens Radio Club, BARES_...@yahoogroups.com, tricou...@googlegroups.com, Lee Becham, Ken Shroder

....a trip down memory lane!

http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4534 (20091022) __________

http://www.eset.com

Charles Locke

Oct 26, 2009, 6:33:15 PM10/26/09
to ne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Bob, a look at the first catalog shows just they have changed over the years. I think I've had most RS catalogs from the late 60's through the late 70's. I remember the local "candy stores for parts in the 70's were Radio Shack, Ack, Specialty, Olsons and my favorite Delta on Buford Hwy. I'm forgetting a few I know.

Charles
W4CLE

Larry Phillips K4PIC

Oct 26, 2009, 6:53:31 PM10/26/09
to ne...@googlegroups.com
Charles, I remember all those places you mention plus some others. I had a favorite back in the 90s but cannot remember their
name. They started out in Tucker, then moved to a place off Jimmy Carter Blvd for awhile and then moved again to Norcross
south of Jimmy Carter on the east side of I-85. I did a lot of personal buiness as well as company buisness with them. I was almost a fixture at Ack Radio in the mid 60s to the mid 70s. They used to have a 2 meter deviation meter in the window so
you could back up to the window and key up your 2m fm brick and read the frequency deviation at the window. I would go by
on Sundays and adjust the deviation on my first 2m FM radio which was an ICOM something or other that used a diode matrix
to channalize the repeater frequencies on 2m. That was in the early 70s.

Larry K4PIC

Charles Locke

Oct 26, 2009, 10:11:15 PM10/26/09
to ne...@googlegroups.com
Larry, I know which place you are talking about, but can't recall the name of it. Was it Dow Electronics? They may have been the one to buy out Specialty distributing. Ack has always been a great place, but now are getting out of the amateur radio antenna business. They still have a few listed on their closeout web page. They are about the only place I know of that still has a good inventory of "through the hole" components.

Larry Phillips K4PIC

Oct 27, 2009, 10:40:01 AM10/27/09
to ne...@googlegroups.com
Charles, Dow is not the store I am thinking of. For the life of me I cannot remember the name. It is hell getting old. Another
place that has not been mentioned is Fry's which is near the Gwinnett Mall. I have not been there in awhile but they have
"thru the hole componets"  and other electronic componets and devices.