wreck of E. Fitzgerald

Szito330

Dec 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/2/99
On another wx board I read, there is a question as to what type of system
caused the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald? Was it a Nor'Easter? An Alberta
Clipper? Do Nor'Easter's affect the Great Lakes? I wouldn't have thought so,
but this person wondered.

Thanks in advance,
Suzanne
Connecticut

Brian Bernard

Dec 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/2/99
Hello,

The storm that sank the EDMUND FITZGERALD was a Texas Hooker or Panhandle
Hook. Storms that develop over the Texas/Oklahoma Panhandle are very common
in the fall and winter, however every few years one storm will be stronger
than normal. The last storm that was very similiar in intensity to the storm
that sank the FITZGERALD in 1975, was on November 10, 1998.

Early to mid November seems to be a curse for the Great Lakes.
For example, the storm of November 7-12, 1913 claimed 250 sailors lives,
November 11-12, 1940 claimed 40 lives (Armistice Storm).
November 18, 1958 claimed 32 lives and
November 10, 1975 claimed 29 lives.

Regards,

Brian Bernard
Hamilton, Ontario

WXAMERICA

Dec 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/2/99
Suzanne,

That storm was one of the deepest Panhandle Hook (B) storms to occur until last
year's similar appearing storm (on the anniversary, no less) reached
record-breaking proportions for pressure and wind. The track was from W TX to
lake Superior, where the Edmund Fitzgerald sank under heavy seas.

Larry Cosgrove
"It's a forecast, not an observation..."

Bufsteve

Dec 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/3/99
Suzanne...

Ths Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald occurred in November 1995 when a deep
intense storm moved from the Mississippi Valley right up across the Upper Great
Lakes. Winds reached 70 mph and seas over 30 feet.

November is usually the stormiest time of year on the Great Lakes (except for
the past two yrs!) as the prime storm track goes from Texas to Michigan. Here
in Western NY we often get gales from the southwest after the storm goes by to
our north and Lake erie risies tremendously. Later in the season the storm
track is further east and south...often off the east coast...and the
circulation on the backside comes in from the northeast...hence your term
"nor'easters". I guess we could have a nor'easter on the lakes...and winds will
be from that direction if storm passes by to our east...but they are rarely
called that here. In fact, when a storm takes the inland track up the coast and
you are on the mild side...we can sometimes get the coastal nor'easter part out
this way. But...to answer your question...we dont call Great Lakes' storms
nor'easters.

take care...
Steve, Buffalo NY

Rogman97

Dec 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/3/99
E. Fiftzggerald shipwreck happen in November 1975 not 1995. I sure it was a
typing error.

LilacWondr

Dec 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/3/99
In the great lakes, those wicked November storms are called the November Witch.

This is the first year in recorded history that Green Bay and Milwaukee haven't
had any snow at all in November. That is so unusual.

Linda
LilacWondr

Bufsteve

Dec 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/3/99
oopps...you are right. it was november 1975...not '95!

also...not much action around lakes this year. even in wrn ny we were snowless
until the last two days...and buffalo had their 2nd consec year with less than
an inch in november. we count on november and december for our big lake
snows...we dont get the big synoptic snows you get in new england very often.

Burt

Dec 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/4/99

Bufsteve <bufs...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Suzanne...
>
> Ths Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald occurred in November 1995 when a deep
> intense storm moved from the Mississippi Valley right up across the Upper
Great
> Lakes. Winds reached 70 mph and seas over 30 feet.

Interesting how the song was written about it 20 or so years prior to that
event.

Welcome to ham radio-set your watch back 40 years

Please visit my World Wide Web Site, you have never seen a page like it.
You will see:

1. How to pass the A+ Certification
2. Really interesting answering machine messages
3. A blond naked chic being held by a female ham!.
4. How you know you are a ham.
5. Hear Ted Kennedy really screw up in front of Clinton
6. Actually sounds of Bill Clinton "after the lov'in".
7. The writings of me and others on ham radio, hear a typical ham contact.
8. The warm side of K1OIK, hear me speak, see me with famous people.
9. An amazing card game that will shock others
10. Pictures of me and my family.
11. Did common German's enable the holocaust?
12. See now the future of ham radio.

Burt Fisher
A Plus Certified Teacher of video, broadcasting and electronics
Amateur call South Dennis, Ma. (Cape Cod)
K1OIK Bacteria-the only culture most hams have

bu...@broadcast.net
http://hfradio.org/k1oik/