1950s images of Boston

plorkwort

Mar 19, 2009, 4:09:59 PM3/19/09
The MIT Libraries have been digitizing materials associated with the
1954-59 study The Perceptual Form of the City by Kevin Lynch and Gyorgy
Kepes; this means hundreds of pre-urban renewal photos of the city are
available through their digital repository:

http://dome.mit.edu/handle/1721.3/33656

Searching for the keyword "subway" brings up over a hundred great photos,
including a "no spitting" sign at Park Street, political ads on station
walls, and all kinds of disreputable establishments in Scollay Square.
"Aerial view" also brings up some fascinating images.

Have fun!

ftran999

Mar 19, 2009, 7:30:21 PM3/19/09

"plorkwort" <a...@TheWorld.com> wrote in message

Thanks, alot of great photos. It's nice to see what Boston looked like
before my time. Especially the Scollay Sq area before the disaster known as
City Hall Plaza took over. My only gripe is that some photos require
authorization to view.

David Chesler

Mar 20, 2009, 12:05:42 AM3/20/09
plorkwort wrote:
> http://dome.mit.edu/handle/1721.3/33656

> Have fun!

Where's the Google Maps interface? (Hey, Google, you need to add a
Time dimension to Google Maps.)

--
- David Chesler <che...@post.harvard.edu>
New York's home, but it ain't mine no more

Pete

Mar 29, 2009, 1:29:34 PM3/29/09

Thank you, thank you. I have spent hours upon hours poring through
these images since this link was posted, with presumably more to come.

The textual parts are fascinating, too (I especially like the walking
directions) but most of that will have to wait until I get through
more of the photos.

Where was Big Burger Barn in Cambridge? Richard's Drive-In?

Pete

Mar 31, 2009, 7:29:12 PM3/31/09
On Mar 19, 4:09 pm, a...@TheWorld.com (plorkwort) wrote:

One disappointment -- I thought I'd finally get some good looks at
what the Harvard Square station looked like pre-1980s, but it only
gets as far as the entrances (and one stairwell).

How much is digitized, and how much yet to go?

Message has been deleted