Thinking of Donating to Got Books?

1 view

Jean B.

Sep 22, 2007, 2:31:04 PM9/22/07
You should be aware of the fact that anything that is not in
good+ condition is recycled--no attention paid to any other
factors like age, rareness, etc. They say they make that
clear, but I worry that folks are donating treasures or even
older books that are just being discarded.
--
Jean B.

AllstonPar...@hotmail.com

Sep 23, 2007, 3:17:54 AM9/23/07

Do you know where their dumpster is?

-Apr

Jean B.

Sep 28, 2007, 6:37:36 PM9/28/07
I have seen one in Harvard Sq--and know where that one is.
The others I have forgotten. I am tempted to put signs inside
the doors. They said they made this clear--but the signs on
the dumpsters say nothing about that.

In case anyone is wondering, I have gone to the sale a few
times. I noticed all the books are in very good shape and
asked. First I emailed, then the person who was apparently in
the know was at the door when I came in, and I discussed that
with him. I HATE the thought of precious books getting
recycled!!!!! He was totally unapologetic--just said with the
volume of books they get, it is impossible to go through them.
That may be the case, but PLEASE make that known at the
drop-off points!!!!

Sorry about the delay. I have a sick cat and other things on
my mind.

--
Jean B.

AllstonPar...@hotmail.com

Oct 4, 2007, 9:54:21 PM10/4/07
"Jean B." <jb...@rcn.com> wrote:

> AllstonParkingRefu...@hotmail.com wrote:
> > Do you know where their dumpster is?
>
> I have seen one in Harvard Sq--and know where that one is.
> The others I have forgotten. I am tempted to put signs inside
> the doors. They said they made this clear--but the signs on
> the dumpsters say nothing about that.

I was actually interested in the dumpster where they throw out the
books they don't want to sell. I see their warehouse is in North
Reading, so some exploration might be in order.

-Apr

Jean B.

Oct 7, 2007, 2:00:52 PM10/7/07
More developments. They have ca 100,000 items on eBay--but
still not the nice old stuff.

And a woman at a used book store thinks they auction off bins
of old ones--which is not what they told me.

This is really fishy. They had about 5 old books one the
shelves last week--possibly to allay suspicion a bit? That
was kind-of odd, given what they must be getting.

In the meantime, the offerings in No. Reading have gotten
markedly less interesting.

--
Jean B.

Hugo S. Cunningham

Oct 7, 2007, 6:02:12 PM10/7/07

I give my unwanted books to libraries. Many hold sales at very
attractive prices for the books they can't use.

http://www.booksalefinder.com/MA.html

--Hugo S. Cunningham

Barry Margolin

Oct 8, 2007, 8:33:43 AM10/8/07
In article <oelig3hmn3tmudr28...@4ax.com>,

Hugo S. Cunningham <checkw...@cyberussr.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 14:31:04 -0400, "Jean B." <jb...@rcn.com> wrote:
>
> >You should be aware of the fact that anything that is not in
> >good+ condition is recycled
> >--no attention paid to any other
> >factors like age, rareness, etc. They say they make that
> >clear, but I worry that folks are donating treasures or even
> >older books that are just being discarded.
>
> I give my unwanted books to libraries. Many hold sales at very
> attractive prices for the books they can't use.

The one time I tried this with the Arlington Public Library, it seemed
like they weren't really set up to take several boxes of books. They
have a drop-off bin were you can leave one or two at a time, but if I
wait until my shelves are overflowing and I do a spring cleaning,
GotBooks seems more eager.

--
Barry Margolin, bar...@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

gfk...@gmail.com

Oct 9, 2007, 3:32:54 PM10/9/07
My two local libraries, in Andover and North Andover, take used books
for their "Friends of the * Library" annual used book sales. But --
they don't take technical books, computer books or textbooks. I guess
they don't sell all that well.

Guy