Frappe pronounciation - historical

Elisabeth Anne Riba

Mar 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/13/97

As long as people are checking their history books on egg creams, maybe
you can answer a question about frappes.

I know that nowadays in New England, the word frappe rhymes with cap.

However, I was recently watching the 1960's Hayley Mills film "Pollyanna"
where they pronounced the word "frappay"

Was this an error by California filmmakers not understanding New England?
Or, did Bostonians formerly call milk shakes "frappay"s?
And, if the latter, when did the word change to "frap"?
--
-------------------> Elisabeth Anne Riba * l...@netcom.com <-------------------
"Love wouldn't be blind if the braille weren't so damned much fun."

Adam M Gaffin

Mar 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/13/97

In article <lisE6z...@netcom.com>,

Elisabeth Anne Riba <l...@netcom.com> wrote:

>I know that nowadays in New England, the word frappe rhymes with cap.
>
>However, I was recently watching the 1960's Hayley Mills film "Pollyanna"
>where they pronounced the word "frappay"
>
>Was this an error by California filmmakers not understanding New England?
>Or, did Bostonians formerly call milk shakes "frappay"s?
>And, if the latter, when did the word change to "frap"?

Having only arrived here in '81, I can't answer the history question.
However, Hollywood almost never gets New England accents right - nobody
away (i.e., westa Wihsta) ever seems to realize there's more to the local
tongues than just dropped Rs.

--
Adam Gaffin
ad...@world.std.com / (508) 820-7433

Gayton Osgood

Mar 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/13/97

l...@netcom.com (Elisabeth Anne Riba) writes:

>As long as people are checking their history books on egg creams, maybe
>you can answer a question about frappes.

>I know that nowadays in New England, the word frappe rhymes with cap.

>However, I was recently watching the 1960's Hayley Mills film "Pollyanna"
>where they pronounced the word "frappay"

>Was this an error by California filmmakers not understanding New England?
>Or, did Bostonians formerly call milk shakes "frappay"s?
>And, if the latter, when did the word change to "frap"?

>--
> -------------------> Elisabeth Anne Riba * l...@netcom.com <-------------------
> "Love wouldn't be blind if the braille weren't so damned much fun."
> - Armistead Maupin, "Maybe the Moon"

I am an old yankee and I can remember my mother using the word "frappay"
but I always called them frapps. I don't know why I think this but I
think that frappe is a corrupt pronunciation of "frappay".
Gayton Osgood
North Andover, MA

Shari Deiana

Mar 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/13/97

My mom worked at a soda fountain since the 50s, and as far as she knows,
it's always rhymed with cap. They goofed.

Elisabeth Anne Riba (l...@netcom.com) wrote:
:
: As long as people are checking their history books on egg creams, maybe

Gary F

Mar 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/13/97

Here's a little history on the word "frappe".

In New England a frappe is made from ice cream, syrup and milk whipped
together.

In the rest of the country this is called a "milk shake", BUT in New
England a milk shake is just milk and syrup whipped together - no ice
cream.

In Rhode Island and Nova Scotia a frappe is usually called a "cabinet",
don't ask why - I have no idea.

The most popular frappe flavor in New England is coffee.

-Gary
Gary's Ice Cream, Chelmsford
www.garysicecream.com
This Month's Special Flavor - Irish Coffee Ice Cream

Barry Shein

Mar 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/13/97

From: Gary F <gary...@Tiac.net>

>In Rhode Island and Nova Scotia a frappe is usually called a "cabinet",
>don't ask why - I have no idea.

Supposedly because the blender they used in the soda fountains were
kept in a cabinet.

I have no idea about the veracity of that story and it doesn't make a
lot of deep sense to me, just relating the most common origin I've
heard from various sources.

--
-Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die | b...@world.std.com | http://www.std.com
Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 617-739-0202 | Login: 617-739-WRLD

Adam M Gaffin

Mar 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/14/97

In article <332881...@Tiac.net>, Gary F <gary...@Tiac.net> wrote:

>The most popular frappe flavor in New England is coffee.

And the best coffee frappes are to be had at J.P. Licks in Jamaica Plain
(which also whips up a decent egg cream).

John Polcari

Mar 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/14/97

On Fri, 14 Mar 1997 03:48:53 GMT, che...@world.std.com (David S
Chesler) wrote:

> I'm surprised that this is the case. From both sides of
>the counter at Tommy's Lunch, Cambridge, I recall the top
>three being Black-and-White, Chocolate, and Vanilla.
>
> I'm not surprised that coffee is a lot more popular here
>than in the rest of the country.
>--
>David Chesler (che...@world.std.com - ISP
> david....@itcambridge.com - WORK da...@absol.com - DURABLE ADDRESS)
>http://world.std.com/~chesler
>Baby updates: http://world.std.com/~chesler/jack.html

I don't know if they still do it, but some Mickey D's (only in NE)
sold coffee shakes. This would seem to make a good argument for
coffee shakes being eitther 3rd or 4th in local preference.

Now if they would only sell ginger ale.

JP3 John Polcari jpol...@bstone.com meat...@tiac.net
--
"I hate quotations" -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Barry Shein

Mar 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/14/97

From: jpol...@bstone.com (John Polcari)

>I don't know if they still do it, but some Mickey D's (only in NE)
>sold coffee shakes. This would seem to make a good argument for
>coffee shakes being eitther 3rd or 4th in local preference.

Do they still sell those shakes which straws will stand up in when
they're at room temperature?

Something fishy about those shakes.

>Now if they would only sell ginger ale.

I'd be impressed if they sold Cel-Ray.

Beakman

Mar 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/14/97

Elisabeth Anne Riba (l...@netcom.com) wrote:

: As long as people are checking their history books on egg creams, maybe
: you can answer a question about frappes.

: I know that nowadays in New England, the word frappe rhymes with cap.

: However, I was recently watching the 1960's Hayley Mills film "Pollyanna"
: where they pronounced the word "frappay"

: Was this an error by California filmmakers not understanding New England?
: Or, did Bostonians formerly call milk shakes "frappay"s?
: And, if the latter, when did the word change to "frap"?

The word "frappe'" is a conjugated French word, pronounced "frappay", which
usually means "knocked". However, it also means "iced". So, my guess is
that if you take a regular milkshake (no ice cream) and "ice" it by
adding ice cream, then you would have an "iced milkshake" or "milkshake
frappe'" in Franglais. This probably later became known as just a
frappe' (frappay) and then just a frappe (frap).

David
'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`
David Fokos Platinum/Palladium Photography
bea...@netcom.com
'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`

Barry Shein

Mar 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/14/97

From: bea...@netcom.com (Beakman)

>The word "frappe'" is a conjugated French word, pronounced "frappay", which
>usually means "knocked". However, it also means "iced". So, my guess is
>that if you take a regular milkshake (no ice cream) and "ice" it by
>adding ice cream, then you would have an "iced milkshake" or "milkshake
>frappe'" in Franglais. This probably later became known as just a
>frappe' (frappay) and then just a frappe (frap).

Well, that's a *lot* of confidence in linguistic derivations! Iced
could of course just mean "cold" and who knows why they called it that
beyond the fact that it was a cold drink.

But on that note and without any claimed authority I'd also consider
the process of adding plain ice (as opposed to ice cream) to a
flavored milk or cream mixture and putting it into the blender
yielding a thick, very cold drink (think: frozen daiquiri, but doing
that to chocolate milk or similar), a sort of poor man's ice cream
drink w/o the ice cream, but probably thenceafter popular in its own
right ("poor" is the wrong image, "hey mom we're out of ice cream and
you said we'd have shakes!" is a lot closer.)

Like I said, pure speculation, the first time I ran into this whole
frappe/milk-shake thing was when I moved to Boston and I'm still not
entirely certain what I might get if I asked for either (at least in
part because I don't often drink them.)

Beakman

Mar 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/14/97

Barry Shein (b...@world.std.com) wrote:

: From: bea...@netcom.com (Beakman)

: >The word "frappe'" is a conjugated French word, pronounced "frappay", which
: >usually means "knocked". However, it also means "iced". So, my guess is
: >that if you take a regular milkshake (no ice cream) and "ice" it by
: >adding ice cream, then you would have an "iced milkshake" or "milkshake
: >frappe'" in Franglais. This probably later became known as just a
: >frappe' (frappay) and then just a frappe (frap).

: Well, that's a *lot* of confidence in linguistic derivations! Iced
: could of course just mean "cold" and who knows why they called it that
: beyond the fact that it was a cold drink.

Sure, it could be ice and not ice cream, or it could be "cold" as you say.
I just think that frappe', being a French word meaning "iced" is too much
of a coincidence to not be part of the story, and if that's the case then
the original pronunciation would have originally been "frappay".

Bob Band

Mar 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/14/97

Elisabeth Anne Riba wrote:

> As long as people are checking their history books on egg creams, maybe
> you can answer a question about frappes.
>
> I know that nowadays in New England, the word frappe rhymes with cap.
>
> However, I was recently watching the 1960's Hayley Mills film "Pollyanna"
> where they pronounced the word "frappay"
>
> Was this an error by California filmmakers not understanding New England?
> Or, did Bostonians formerly call milk shakes "frappay"s?
> And, if the latter, when did the word change to "frap"?

Speaking as a native who's been drinking them since the '50s, I've never
heard them pronounced "frappay." Hollywood was inaccurate (surprise,
surprise).

I do remember being intrigued when, in my high shcool days, I doscovered
the regional variations on the pre-burger-chain fast food & drink names,
to wit:

In Boston, a sub & a frappe =
in Providence, a grinder and & cabinet, =
in New York, a hero & a milk shake.

Anybody grew up with any other regional variations?

--
Bob Band
"Quando dubitatis, ludite auris"

John Polcari

Mar 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/14/97

On Fri, 14 Mar 1997 07:39:23 GMT, che...@world.std.com (David S
Chesler) wrote:

>In article <x5endju...@world.std.com>,

>Barry Shein <b...@world.std.com> wrote:
>>Do they still sell those shakes which straws will stand up in when
>>they're at room temperature?
>

> Yes, and March is Shamrock Shake time. Remember, the word "milk"
>does not appear anywhere in the description of that product.
>(Neither does "agar", but that omission is understandable.)

Hey, I did't say I still _LIKED_ them... I was just impressed they
sold a coffee flavor version. And yes, they may still _actually_
contain dairy products, if not, then definitly beef by-products.

>>I'd be impressed if they sold Cel-Ray.

So what's Cel-Ray?

Debra Deutsch

Mar 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/14/97

Hmmm, my French isn't perfectly fluent, but "glace" is the word most
often used for "ice" (and "ice cream"). If I remember properly,
"geler" is to freeze, and "glace" (with an accent on the e) is used as
an adjective for something that is frozen or covered with ice (or in
cooking, covered with some form of icing).

I'd guess that frappe is being used with the first meaning you give -
knocked or shaken very hard. If you didn't have a rotary-type mixing
device, you might mix the ice cream into the milk and syrup by
shaking. This might have been the method before the advent of
milk-shake mixing machines. Anybody know?

Debbie

bea...@netcom.com (Beakman) writes:

>Elisabeth Anne Riba (l...@netcom.com) wrote:

>: As long as people are checking their history books on egg creams, maybe
>: you can answer a question about frappes.

>: I know that nowadays in New England, the word frappe rhymes with cap.

>: However, I was recently watching the 1960's Hayley Mills film "Pollyanna"
>: where they pronounced the word "frappay"

>: Was this an error by California filmmakers not understanding New England?
>: Or, did Bostonians formerly call milk shakes "frappay"s?
>: And, if the latter, when did the word change to "frap"?

>The word "frappe'" is a conjugated French word, pronounced "frappay", which
>usually means "knocked". However, it also means "iced". So, my guess is
>that if you take a regular milkshake (no ice cream) and "ice" it by
>adding ice cream, then you would have an "iced milkshake" or "milkshake
>frappe'" in Franglais. This probably later became known as just a
>frappe' (frappay) and then just a frappe (frap).

>David

Barry Shein

Mar 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/15/97

From: jpol...@bstone.com (John Polcari)

>>>I'd be impressed if they sold Cel-Ray.
>
>So what's Cel-Ray?

oy! if you have to ask you don't want to know.

It's made by Dr Brown's, of Dr Brown's Cream Soda fame. Dr Brown's
Cel-Ray is --> celery soda.

Put an icy cold can of it in front of a child of the appropriate age
and s/he will simply stare at it silently, wondering if the world has
really gone this mad.

And, if you had any doubts, it really tastes like you'd imagine celery
soda might taste. No doubt it harkens back to the days when carbonated
beverages were really sold as "tonics" for what ails ya and other
health claims.

For some reason I can't explain entirely someone at the office here
orders it (we get soda, and I guess I was the one who asked for Dr
Brown's Cream, so someone else started ordering the Cel-Ray also.)

Debra Deutsch

Mar 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/15/97

b...@world.std.com (Barry Shein) writes:

>From: jpol...@bstone.com (John Polcari)
>>
>>So what's Cel-Ray?

>oy! if you have to ask you don't want to know.

>It's made by Dr Brown's, of Dr Brown's Cream Soda fame. Dr Brown's
>Cel-Ray is --> celery soda.

>Put an icy cold can of it in front of a child of the appropriate age
>and s/he will simply stare at it silently, wondering if the world has
>really gone this mad.

>And, if you had any doubts, it really tastes like you'd imagine celery
>soda might taste. No doubt it harkens back to the days when carbonated
>beverages were really sold as "tonics" for what ails ya and other
>health claims.

>For some reason I can't explain entirely someone at the office here
>orders it (we get soda, and I guess I was the one who asked for Dr
>Brown's Cream, so someone else started ordering the Cel-Ray also.)

Barry, I'm surprised at you. Poking fun at Cel-Ray? Why, just two
days ago, on a business trip to NYC, I had lunch at the Stage Deli -
pastrami on rye and a Cel-ray - heaven!. It's another case of the
whole being much greater than the sum of its parts.

Oh, and the pickles were really good too. :-)

Debbie

Michael J. Saletnik

Mar 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/15/97

On Fri, 14 Mar 1997 17:04:00 +0000, Bob Band <rb...@intraplex.com>
wrote:

>In Boston, a sub & a frappe =
>in Providence, a grinder and & cabinet, =
>in New York, a hero & a milk shake.
>Anybody grew up with any other regional variations?

In Western Massachusetts, a grinder and a milkshake.

-Michael
Michael J. Saletnik Tufts University E'91 G'93
Structural Engineer, Bryant Associates Inc., Boston
Lecturer, Dept of Civil & Environ. Engin., Tufts University
mic...@ties.org --> http://www.tiac.net/users/icarus/

Beakman

Mar 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/15/97

Debra Deutsch (ddeu...@bbn.com) wrote:
: Hmmm, my French isn't perfectly fluent, but "glace" is the word most

: often used for "ice" (and "ice cream"). If I remember properly,
: "geler" is to freeze, and "glace" (with an accent on the e) is used as
: an adjective for something that is frozen or covered with ice (or in
: cooking, covered with some form of icing).

Yes, but I assure you that frappe', while most often used to mean
"knocked", does, in fact, also mean "iced". And, when referring to a
frozen milkshake, "iced" would seem to have more relavance than
"knocked" -- to me anyway.

Adam M Gaffin

Mar 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/15/97

In article <332aeb6f...@news.tiac.net>,

Michael J. Saletnik <mic...@ties.org> wrote:
>On Fri, 14 Mar 1997 17:04:00 +0000, Bob Band <rb...@intraplex.com>
>wrote:
>
>>In Boston, a sub & a frappe =
>>in Providence, a grinder and & cabinet, =
>>in New York, a hero & a milk shake.
>>Anybody grew up with any other regional variations?

In some parts of Boston: A spuckie and a frappe - made for you by a
spuckie chucker (although I can't think of any places that actually serve
both - sub shops don't tend to have ice cream; ice cream parlors don't
tend to make subs or spuckies).

Debra Deutsch

Mar 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/15/97

bea...@netcom.com (Beakman) writes:

>Debra Deutsch (ddeu...@bbn.com) wrote:
>: Hmmm, my French isn't perfectly fluent, but "glace" is the word most
>: often used for "ice" (and "ice cream"). If I remember properly,
>: "geler" is to freeze, and "glace" (with an accent on the e) is used as
>: an adjective for something that is frozen or covered with ice (or in
>: cooking, covered with some form of icing).

>Yes, but I assure you that frappe', while most often used to mean
>"knocked", does, in fact, also mean "iced". And, when referring to a
>frozen milkshake, "iced" would seem to have more relavance than
>"knocked" -- to me anyway.

Okay, so here I am at home with my Larousse on the shelf above my
monitor. Hmmm.

frapper v.tr.
to strike (un coup); to hit (qqn). to stamp (du cuir, du metal);
to strike (une medaille); to strike, to coin (une monnaie); to emboss
(du velours).

to type (une lettre a la machine)

to ice (du champagne)

<additional definitions omitted>
frappe, ee adj
struck (de, with); frappe d'horreur, horror-stricken

embossed (velours)

iced (champagne)

<additional definitions omitted>
frappe (f)

striking (d'une medaille); coinage, striking, mintage (d'une monnaie);
type stamp (empreinte).
striking of keys (en dactylogr); faute de frappe, typing mistake,
typist's error

force de frappe, striking-force, strike force (military)

So we are both right. Looking at the third meaning for frapper as a
transitive verb, frapper means to cool with ice, but since champagne
is given as an example, I doubt that the ice is mixed into the drink
:-). Champagne is used again in the translation of frappe as an
adjective to mean iced. So I would tend to translate this sense of
frapper as "to chill using ice" or maybe even just "to chill" without
an implication that the ice is necessarily added to the thing being
chilled.

On the other hand, almost all of the other definitions have to do with
hitting or striking.

Interestingly enough, none of the definitions of frappe as a noun (the
third group) have anything to do with ice, chilling, or food.

Just to confuse things further, I dimly remember from my Brooklyn
childhood that a frappe was an ice-cream concoction made of layers of
ice cream and syrup and whipped cream on top. It was served in a tall
glass vessel (sort of a cross between a bowl and a glass) and eaten
with a spoon. Anybody else remember this or do I have my memories
crossed?

Debbie

Barry Shein

Mar 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/15/97

From: bea...@netcom.com (Beakman)

>Yes, but I assure you that frappe', while most often used to mean
>"knocked", does, in fact, also mean "iced". And, when referring to a
>frozen milkshake, "iced" would seem to have more relavance than
>"knocked" -- to me anyway.

Well, I suspect the allusion to "knocked" is actually to "beaten", so
both possible meanings are relevant. My guess is that it's not
either/or, just one of those times where both meanings of the word
works, both iced and beaten.

(p.s. yes I can read french so this isn't entirely speculative, I read
the french newspapers etc., tho I'll admit I haven't run into the word
"frappe" very often, except to "frappe" a wall or door to get
someone's attention.)

Charity Stafford

Mar 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/15/97

ddeu...@bbn.com (Debra Deutsch) writes:

>Just to confuse things further, I dimly remember from my Brooklyn
>childhood that a frappe was an ice-cream concoction made of layers of
>ice cream and syrup and whipped cream on top. It was served in a tall
>glass vessel (sort of a cross between a bowl and a glass) and eaten
>with a spoon. Anybody else remember this or do I have my memories
>crossed?

I think you may have your memories crossed - that sounds like a
parfait (yet another French-named ice cream concoction.) But
maybe it's yet another one of those regional varitations....

Barry Shein

Mar 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/15/97

From: ddeu...@bbn.com (Debra Deutsch)

>Just to confuse things further, I dimly remember from my Brooklyn
>childhood that a frappe was an ice-cream concoction made of layers of
>ice cream and syrup and whipped cream on top. It was served in a tall
>glass vessel (sort of a cross between a bowl and a glass) and eaten
>with a spoon. Anybody else remember this or do I have my memories
>crossed?

Isn't that a parfait?

I agree with you about frappe, both connotations seem appropriate.

Adam M Gaffin

Mar 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/16/97

In article <x5u3mci...@world.std.com>,

Barry Shein <b...@world.std.com> wrote:

>(p.s. yes I can read french so this isn't entirely speculative, I read
>the french newspapers etc., tho I'll admit I haven't run into the word
>"frappe" very often, except to "frappe" a wall or door to get
>someone's attention.)

Hmm, don't the French refer to their nuclear weapons as their
"force de frappe"?

Beakman

Mar 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/16/97

Adam M Gaffin (ad...@world.std.com) wrote:
: In article <x5u3mci...@world.std.com>,

: Barry Shein <b...@world.std.com> wrote:
: >
: >(p.s. yes I can read french so this isn't entirely speculative, I read
: >the french newspapers etc., tho I'll admit I haven't run into the word
: >"frappe" very often, except to "frappe" a wall or door to get
: >someone's attention.)
: >

: Hmm, don't the French refer to their nuclear weapons as their
: "force de frappe"?

I can't resist a good segue', so a bit further down in this message I
will be reposting a rather humorous letter which appeared in the
magazine, The Age, in Australia. This letter was written during the time
of the Frech nuclear testing in the South Pacific. The Aussies weren't
particularly appreciative of the French coming by to dirty up their
backyard. It was proposed that peole sign this letter and fax it off to
Jacques Chirak in Paris (the fax number was given). It is written in
Franglais, mainly to irritate the French, who are notoriously
"protective" of their language.

By posting this I mean no disrespect to any French persons. I just found
it to be rather humorous, especially when read aloud with an Australian
accent. By the way, it also uses the word FRAPPE!

To be a bit more on topic: As for the Larousse definitions for frappe =
iced (du Champagne), it seems that Debbie may be correct in it reffering
to a "chilled" concoction. We may never know... We could try asking
Cecil Adams.

David

REPOST

Fax-Letter to Jacques Chirak, Paris, France

Mon cher Jack,

Je suis un bit fromaged-off avec votre decision to blow La Pacifique avec
le frog bombes nuclears. Je reckon vous must have un spot in La Belle
france itself pour les explosions. Le Massif Central? Le Champs Elyesses?
Votre own back yard perhaps?

Frappe la crows avec stones, Sport! La guerre cold est fini. Votres forces
Militaire need la bomb atomique about as beaucoup as poisson need les
bicyclettes.

Un autre point, cobber. Votre histoire militaire isn't tres flash,
consisting, n'cset-ce pas, of battailles the likes of Crecy,
Agincourt,Poitres, Waterloo, Bien Phu. Un bombe nouveau won't change le
tradition. Je/mon pere/mon grandpere/le cousin third avec ma grandmere/la
plume da ma tante fought avec votre soldats against le Boche in WWII (le
Big One). Have vous forgotten?

Reconsider mon ami, otherwise in le Hotels et estaminets de l'Australie le
curse le aciens d'Angleterre - "Damanation to the French!" - will be heard
un autre temps.

Votre chums don't want that.
(insert your name here)

John Polcari

Mar 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/16/97

On Sun, 16 Mar 1997 16:16:56 GMT, bea...@netcom.com (Beakman) wrote:

>Fax-Letter to Jacques Chirak, Paris, France
>

>Mon cher Jack,

>etc...etc...

I don't particularly wanna get involved in the Great Frappe Debate ...

But speaking as: a vetran of 12 years of Catholic school French
language instruction (torture - I can still say the Hail Mary en
Francais); being married to a Quebecois; and someone who never misses
an opportunity to remind a rude Frenchman that it only took the
Germans _FOUR_ weeks to reach Paris:

That Aussie letter _is_ Pretty Damn Funny....

bill balint

Mar 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/17/97

Barry Shein wrote:

> From: jpol...@bstone.com (John Polcari)
> >
> >So what's Cel-Ray?
>
> oy! if you have to ask you don't want to know.
>
> It's made by Dr Brown's, of Dr Brown's Cream Soda fame. Dr Brown's
> Cel-Ray is --> celery soda.
>
> Put an icy cold can of it in front of a child of the appropriate age
> and s/he will simply stare at it silently, wondering if the world has
> really gone this mad.
>
> And, if you had any doubts, it really tastes like you'd imagine celery
> soda might taste. No doubt it harkens back to the days when carbonated
> beverages were really sold as "tonics" for what ails ya and other
> health claims.
>
> For some reason I can't explain entirely someone at the office here
> orders it (we get soda, and I guess I was the one who asked for Dr
> Brown's Cream, so someone else started ordering the Cel-Ray also.)

Cel-ray is served at "Joan & Ed's Deli" in Natick if anyone is
interested in trying it.
bill

Elisabeth Anne Riba

Mar 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/17/97

Bob Band <rb...@intraplex.com> writes:

>Elisabeth Anne Riba wrote:
>> I know that nowadays in New England, the word frappe rhymes with cap.
>>
>> However, I was recently watching the 1960's Hayley Mills film "Pollyanna"
>> where they pronounced the word "frappay"
>>
>> Was this an error by California filmmakers not understanding New England?
>> Or, did Bostonians formerly call milk shakes "frappay"s?
>> And, if the latter, when did the word change to "frap"?

>Speaking as a native who's been drinking them since the '50s, I've never

>heard them pronounced "frappay." Hollywood was inaccurate (surprise,
>surprise).

Slight correction; the movie was filmed in 1960, but is set around 1915.
Was frap pronnounced frappay back then? And, if so, when and why did it
change?

bobdrob

Mar 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/21/97

One may think that this is"frappay" is the correct Frech pronunciation
of the New English "frap." Since the original french means "to beat"
and this is what one does to the dairy melange in the frappe
coupe.....it just goes to follow that we New English, in our
economical, francophobic dialect, chose to ignore the accent finale of
frappe.

On Thu, 13 Mar 1997 14:47:38 GMT, l...@netcom.com (Elisabeth Anne Riba)
wrote:

>As long as people are checking their history books on egg creams, maybe
>you can answer a question about frappes.
>

>I know that nowadays in New England, the word frappe rhymes with cap.
>
>However, I was recently watching the 1960's Hayley Mills film "Pollyanna"
>where they pronounced the word "frappay"
>
>Was this an error by California filmmakers not understanding New England?
>Or, did Bostonians formerly call milk shakes "frappay"s?
>And, if the latter, when did the word change to "frap"?

>--
> -------------------> Elisabeth Anne Riba * l...@netcom.com <-------------------
> "Love wouldn't be blind if the braille weren't so damned much fun."
> - Armistead Maupin, "Maybe the Moon"

Chelsea Creek Picobreweries,Inc.
"the finest water this side of Deer Island"