Souvlaki

James Howard

Feb 27, 1992, 1:52:31 AM2/27/92

When I lived in Cyprus, I would eat lots of their souvlaki.
Since I have been in Boston, I have tried many dishes that
were called souvlaki, but none of them tasted anything like
the kind I had in Cyprus. So, does anyone know where I could
find some?

James
James Howard | Wanted: MGA Twin Cam Engine,
c...@fish.bu.edu | any condition.

David Filippi

Feb 27, 1992, 1:13:35 PM2/27/92

In my homeland of Southern California, it was my frequent habit to
stop at Top's for their transcendent chili-doused boxes of french fries
with lots of yellow and white cheese on top.

Alas! Stranded in Boston, my cholesterol level is slowly decreasing
to normal levels... does anyone know where I could get some chili cheese
fries?

--Dave
(fili...@husc.harvard.edu)

Elizabeth Willey

Feb 27, 1992, 3:57:02 PM2/27/92
You could try the Andy's Chili truck which has been parking on Ames
Street at lunchtime lately. If they haven't heard of this thing,
they'll probably make it for you. Any victualler selling Frito Pies
must surely consider Chili Cheese Fries an exalted culinary
achievement. Maybe you could license the formula to them.

Or perhaps, like Spaghetti Pie, this is one of those purely regional
delights only available in the Northeast at the board of the homesick
outlander. Shaddup and eat ya' boiled dinnah.

Elizabeth Willey

James_J_...@cup.portal.com

Feb 28, 1992, 12:54:52 AM2/28/92
c...@buast9.bu.edu (James Howard) writes:
>When I lived in Cyprus, I would eat lots of their souvlaki.
>Since I have been in Boston, I have tried many dishes that
>were called souvlaki, but none of them tasted anything like
>the kind I had in Cyprus. So, does anyone know where I could
>find some?

There used to be a place in Watertown (near the center)
that served Greek food, including a pretty good Souvlaki.
I used to go there with a Cypriot friend, but that was years ago,
and I have no idea if it is still there. Sorry I can't be more
specific.

The thing that surprised me about souvlaki in Cyprus was that
it was almost always pork (generously rubbed with rigani -
greek oregano), and not lamb.

Cheers,

Jim Kowalczyk James_J_...@cup.portal.com

Ed Baker

Feb 28, 1992, 2:11:05 PM2/28/92
Demos in watertown is excellent! I've never had the souvlaki; I always
get the Demos special (lunch or dinner). It's great!

-Ed

Elizabeth Schwartz

Feb 28, 1992, 10:34:51 PM2/28/92

c...@buast9.bu.edu (James Howard) writes:
>When I lived in Cyprus, I would eat lots of their souvlaki.
>Since I have been in Boston, I have tried many dishes that
>were called souvlaki, but none of them tasted anything like

There's a nice little greek restaurant in N Cambridge called I
believe "Friendly Corner." It's on Mass Ave near the Arlington line.
Can't say whether the food resembles Cypriot food but its good-- and
cheap!
--
Betsy Schwartz Internet: bet...@cs.umb.edu
System Administrator BITNET:ESCHWARTZ%UMBSK...@NS.UMB.EDU

Daniel Cerys

Mar 2, 1992, 1:28:14 PM3/2/92
In article <1992Feb27....@husc3.harvard.edu> fili...@husc9.harvard.edu (David Filippi) writes:

Alas! Stranded in Boston, my cholesterol level is slowly decreasing
to normal levels... does anyone know where I could get some chili cheese
fries?

Andy's is a great place, but last time I enjoyed his culinary delights, he
didn't do french fries (hard to do for a pushcart vendor).

The only place that I've had chili fries locally is at Fudruckers in
Saugus. Not like the LA ones I've had, but a fine compromise.

Dan