Shenadoah 1200K

melinda lyon

Jun 8, 2008, 6:01:54 AM6/8/08
to ne-rand...@googlegroups.com
Our Ted appears to be the first finisher in the heat in Virginia..

Full report when you return, Ted!

Congratulations!

Jennifer Wise

Jun 8, 2008, 9:41:42 AM6/8/08
to melin...@verizon.net, ne-rand...@googlegroups.com
Three Cheers for Ted!

~ Jennifer

Dave Cramer

Jun 8, 2008, 10:01:34 AM6/8/08
to ne-rand...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations, Ted! That Westfield 600k in 2005 must have been good
preparation.

Dave

John Jurczynski

Jun 8, 2008, 11:03:43 AM6/8/08
to melin...@verizon.net, ne-rand...@googlegroups.com, anoth...@verizon.net
Congrats Ted!  John J: )

John Jurczynski
PO Box B
Holderness, NH 03245
603-968-3836 (home)
603-520-4628 (cell)

Jeffrey Scornavacca

Jun 8, 2008, 1:15:58 PM6/8/08
to Melinda Lyon, ne-rand...@googlegroups.com
Wow: 23:05! You go Ted!

Congratulations!

Tracey Ingle

Jun 8, 2008, 3:51:01 PM6/8/08
to ne-rand...@googlegroups.com

Ted’s ‘da man!  Bucket of fries from Wendy’s - on me Ted!

-- Tracey A. L. Ingle, Esq.
Ingle Law
56 Central Street
Southborough, MA  01745
Tel. (508) 281-7900
Fax (508) 281-7999
tra...@inglelaw.com

My Mission is to inspire, educate and motivate
my clients to control their future, maintain
flexibility, and experience the resulting peace
of mind and sigh of relief.

Pursuant to IRS Circular 230, please be informed that any tax advice contained in this communication, including attachments, is not intended or written to be used for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be  imposed under the Internal Revenue Code or promoting, marketing or recommending this transaction or a tax-related matter to another party.

Our Ted appears to be the first finisher in the heat in Virginia..

Full report when you return, Ted!

Congratulations!</div

Peter Leiss

Jun 8, 2008, 6:27:30 PM6/8/08
to jscorn...@comcast.net, Melinda Lyon, ne-rand...@googlegroups.com
Hi veryone

Surely this time is incorrect. 1200 K 23.05 = 52 KPH or 32 MPH.

Peter

Massimiliano Poletto

Jun 8, 2008, 6:38:11 PM6/8/08
to lei...@globalserve.net, jscorn...@comcast.net, Melinda Lyon, ne-rand...@googlegroups.com
That is the time of day, not elapsed time: 23:05 (11:05pm) on Jun 7.

Since the ride started at 4am on Jun 5, that works out to 48 +
(23:05-04:00) = 48 + 19:05 = 67:05.

Maybe not up to Ted's awesome BMB standards, but very impressive
considering the heat.

max

melinda lyon

Tom Worster

Jun 8, 2008, 8:11:51 PM6/8/08
to ne-rand...@googlegroups.com
On 6/8/08 3:51 PM, "Tracey Ingle" <tra...@inglelaw.com> wrote:

> Ted¹s Œda man! Bucket of fries from Wendy¹s - on me Ted!

this thread is great. melinda starts with the carefully phrased "first
finisher" and everyone joins in to cheer ted "arriving at the final control"
(not "over the finish line").

frankly, i like this way of doing things. the ambiguity appeals. it gives
the riders the choice of treating it like a race or not. it seems also to be
the way the french run pbp: 'it's not a race but we'll celebrate the "first
finishers" anyway'.

i was told that before the last lel, auk members actually took a vote on
whether or not to adopt the pbp way of publishing finishing times. they
voted no. the guy who told me said he supported the no vote because yes
would turn it into a race.

now i will join in with my me too: go ted! you rock! great race^H^H^H^Hride.

littlecircles :: mikeb

Jun 9, 2008, 9:35:10 AM6/9/08
to New England Randonneurs
well put tom.
i like it as well.

i think it is amazing at how fast some of you can ride - and finish
long events.
the language used to describe our events paint a picture of us - to
ourselves and the outside world.
'first finisher' can be taken as the chap who chose wisely in getting
into the grocer and out before anyone else, or as the first woman that
made it out to the middle of nowhere in the rain, the humidity, and
over mountains to pick up a pizza - and one could also assume that
'first finisher' means 'winner!'

when rando becomes racing, and when it is talked of as a 'race' - i'll
have to find something else to do.
the spirit of the ride, the riding, and the riders, is what lured me
in.

kudos to ted. and even more kudos to those folks who gave 110% for
many HOURS longer than ted was on the course. (actually, if he
finished in 60 some hours, a few folks might actually be out for a
full DAY! longer) its these folks who deserve the biggest praise -
while impressive that the fast guys and girls can race around the
course - the not so fast guys and gals put out their 110% for far
longer... does it hurt more to ride it in 60 hours or 90 hours? 30
extra hours in the saddle, on the road, reading cues, dodging cars,
potholes, etc. 30 extra hours to make a sleep deprived mistake, 30
extra hours to keep the body moving... etc.

i'd say ted was ripped off. the 90 hour finishers surely get their
money's worth of the ride.

-mike

melinda lyon

Jun 9, 2008, 1:33:50 PM6/9/08
to mike.b...@gmail.com, New England Randonneurs
When Bill Rodgers ruled the marathon world and finished in 2:10, he was always amazed that the back of the packers "could run for 4 or 5 hours straight!".
Same distance, same suffering?

"littlecircles :: mikeb" <mike.b...@gmail.com> wrote:

Charles Coldwell

Jun 9, 2008, 4:38:58 PM6/9/08
to melinda lyon, mike.b...@gmail.com, New England Randonneurs
On Mon, 9 Jun 2008, melinda lyon wrote:

> When Bill Rodgers ruled the marathon world and finished in 2:10, he was always amazed that the back of the packers "could run
> for 4 or 5 hours straight!".
> Same distance, same suffering?

No. My first 1200K (P-B-P '03) took 85:18. My fastest 1200K (B-M-B
'06) took 67:44. I slept about the same amount of time on both (about
13 hours). Speaking from experience, it is much, much easier to do
these things fast if you can.

I would say the suffering is proportional to time, not distance.

Chip

--
Charles M. Coldwell, W1CMC
"Turn on, log in, tune out"

GPG ID: 852E052F
GPG FPR: 77E5 2B51 4907 F08A 7E92 DE80 AFA9 9A8F 852E 052F

Ted Lapinski

Jun 9, 2008, 10:42:43 PM6/9/08
to anoth...@verizon.net, melin...@verizon.net, ne-rand...@googlegroups.com
Thank you every one for your kind words. I had no idea a discussion was
taking place about me during my absence. I could have never imagined
finishing first on any 1200K as it has never been possible or my
objective. It feels great, but also embarrassing at the same time. The
people at the controls were making a big deal about it, but I was in
survival mode just like every other rider. If i can muster the ambition
I will type a report, but don't hold your breath. This was the most
uncomfortable ride ever. The heat, humidity and the sun just wiped us
out. In the end I think it was close to 50% DNF. Anybody who did or did
not finish has my respect. The heat was just that bad. Much worse than
what we have now in New England.

Ted

Jennifer Wise wrote:
> Three Cheers for Ted!
>
> ~ Jennifer

Ted Lapinski

Jun 9, 2008, 11:07:29 PM6/9/08
to mike.b...@gmail.com, New England Randonneurs
Hey Tom and Mike,

You are entitled to your opinions, but leave me out. I went to Virginia
to ride this 1200 like a tour with some friends. When the (chaps were at
the grocer,) fighting to get cards stamped, Myself and Wayne were back
five miles standing on the Gettysburg battle field reading monuments and
taking pictures on Round Top. (This ride is awesome.)

When the temps reached 96 degrees on the first day people started
dropping from the ride. I went into "survival mode." For me that
involves eating and drinking and most importantly keeping a SLOW
CONSISTENT PACE taking advantage of the night for travel and NOT sleep.
You were not riding with me, but to ride near 70 hours with no sleep on
totally unfamiliar roads with multiple unmarked roads to decipher in the
dark humid air mass requires more than 110%. Your description of "race
around the course" is pernicious to me because this was anything but the
truth. I was in slow motion and on the red line trying my best to stay
as safe as possible and not miss turns.The fact that I can ride without
sleep does not make the ride easier. Trust me, it hurts more than you
can imagine, but I choose to do so.. This ride was almost 12 hours
longer than my fastest 1200 and if I needed another twelve hours to
finish it, by God's grace and a little luck I would have done so. I will
also add that this ride is 770 miles so I don't think "Ted was ripped
off". Also remember nearly half the field did not finish. Ted, like his
fellow riders, was lucky not to get hurt in what were very unhealthy and
dangerous weather conditions.

Nobody knows this, but out of the 5 BMB's that I have participated in I
have always stayed at the finish to honor the last rider to cross the
finish line. Mike and Tom, out of all the ambiguity's in this world you
both should know that the people congratulating me were not doing so in
an arrogant way. Most of these people I have known for over 10 years and
they were, I am certain, excited to see somebody they know finish first
on a new and difficult event far from home. Hopefully, if you don't,
someday you have such friends as I.

If you doubt my sincerity I hope that in time you are able to view my
interview with the media on Fancy Gap. It is only by this you will
understand just what we the riders went through in the Shenandoah Valley.

Ted 493 miles -Leesburg, VA to Northfield, MA

Massimiliano Poletto

Jun 10, 2008, 12:51:28 AM6/10/08
to wyatte...@verizon.net, mike.b...@gmail.com, New England Randonneurs
Ted, congrats again on a great ride!

> Ted 493 miles -Leesburg, VA to Northfield, MA

493 miles... you didn't ride your bike back home, did you?!

littlecircles :: mikeb

Jun 10, 2008, 7:14:54 AM6/10/08
to New England Randonneurs
Ted,

No disrespect. Maybe you mis-read my post, or I mistyped my reply
using the improper language to get my point across.
I like the 'no racing'. I appreciate the 'tour' aspect. If I ever
finish a 1200 (and if I ever finish fast) I'd be sure to stay to the
end and welcome the finishers in.

I also didn't intend to take anything away from you, nor the people
congratulating you.
The fact that you ended up out front while riding a 1200 'like a tour
with some friends' - is truly impressive.

My comments about 'racing' around the course were not directed at you
in particular - I've always been slow - and as I was typing my reply I
began thinking about the differences in energy output between the fast
guys and gals and the rest of us. This has been on my mind lately as I
recently watched friends in the Vermont City Marathon here a few weeks
ago - I saw the top finishers come in in 2:25 or so (fast) - and much
later in the day on my ride home I saw people walk/running at mile 18
- now 5 hours into their 'run'. I doubt those people were out for a
stroll with their friends, taking photos along the way. Most looked to
be suffering far more than the fast guys and gals.

So - congrats on being the fist finisher of your tour. Knowing the
heat here in N.VT was stifling I can take your word that you endured a
hellish ride, photos at Gettysburg and all.

Apologies if I offended.

-Mike

Tom Worster

Jun 10, 2008, 9:28:25 AM6/10/08
to wyatte...@verizon.net, New England Randonneurs
ted,

i think you may have misunderstood my email.

i was really quite surprised to see melinda's email to ner list that i
interpreted as "look, ted won!" and by the subsequent 5 "me too" emails that
immediately appeared on the list. this struck me as a great example of the
weird ambiguity behind the "it's not a race" that i've heard so often. i
wanted to draw attention to this taboo topic and challenge the behavior of
saying "it's not a race" (which i've been told with all earnestness more
than once) or buying into that notion and then going on to behave otherwise
(e.g. by emailing the list to celebrate ted the winner, effectively). but i
also wanted to say it in a way that would just prod people into thinking
about it and not offend them.

i'm very sorry that i offended you in the process.

i hope that you can re-read my email and notice that it wasn't really about
you.

all the best
tom

[p.s. as i said in my previous email, personally, i like the aforementioned
ambiguity but i really wish people would be more honest and open about it.]

Ted Lapinski

Jun 10, 2008, 12:32:25 PM6/10/08
to Chip Coldwell, ne-rand...@googlegroups.com
You know Chip, when I did the interview, that was the comparison that I
made. PBP was a long wet and tiring ride, but this was several levels
above that. When you add oppressive heat to a course with what I will
estimate is over 45'000 feet of climbing bad things are going to happen.
The ride is nice, but you need to be aware it is nowhere flat and
everywhere steep. I will always remember the climb out of Clifton Forge
Virginia.

Chip Coldwell wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Jun 2008, Ted Lapinski wrote:
>

>> The heat, humidity and the sun just wiped us out. In the end I think
>> it was close to 50% DNF.
>>

> They posted the final results here:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/shenandoah1200/final_results.htm
>
> If I'm counting correctly, 26 out of 56 starters did not finish, so
> the DNF rate was 46.4%. Wow, that's really brutal. Makes the rain on
> PBP '07 seem pretty trivial in comparison.
>
> Chip

bullcitybiker

Jun 11, 2008, 11:22:08 PM6/11/08
to New England Randonneurs
Hey Ted, I also wanted to congratulate you on finishing that tough
S1200. It was great seeing you and your Serotta in Fancy Gap. Still
amazed after all of those miles you recalled my bike's color scheme.
Some photos linked below. See you on the road-

Branson
NC Randonneurs

http://picasaweb.google.com/bullcitybiker/Shenandoah1200K

On Jun 10, 12:32 pm, Ted Lapinski <wyattearp1...@verizon.net> wrote:
> You know Chip, when I did the interview, that was the comparison that I
> made. PBP was a long wet and tiring ride, but this was several levels
> above that. When you add oppressive heat to a course with what I will
> estimate is over 45'000 feet of climbing bad things are going to happen.
> The ride is nice, but you need to be aware it is nowhere flat and
> everywhere steep. I will always remember the climb out of Clifton Forge, VA.

Ted Lapinski

Jun 12, 2008, 1:52:06 AM6/12/08
to bullci...@gmail.com, New England Randonneurs
Thank you Branson. And a big thanks to your crew of NC Randonneurs.
Hands down you are the most accommodating group of people I have ever
encountered on two wheels. Between your hospitality, hamburgers and lack
of humidity, Fancy Gap was and will always remain an oasis in my mind.
It was the only place I was at ease.

Ted L
NER

matt roy

Jun 12, 2008, 11:50:56 AM6/12/08
to New England Randonneurs
Any Lawnballs, Ted?

Congrats on the great ride! Hope to see you out there soon.

-Matt