Chemistry Help Needed

Karen Hoyles

Jan 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/8/99
Could anyone help with this question?

Draw clear formulae showing all possible stereoisomers of the following
compound and give the systematic names for each, using the R/S and E/Z
terminology where appropriate.

CH3-CHOH-CH=CH-CHCl-CH3

If you can help please email me at:
ka...@beaconview.freeserve.co.uk

Thanks in advance.

Sedgwick

Jan 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/8/99

Karen Hoyles wrote in message <775dms$lfk$1...@news8.svr.pol.co.uk>...

>Could anyone help with this question?
>
>Draw clear formulae showing all possible stereoisomers
>
> CH3-CHOH-CH=CH-CHCl-CH3
>

>Karen,
If you are having trouble seeing the different isomers of any coumpound,
building models of the compound helps you to manipulate the atoms. If you
do not have a model kit, try using colored marshmellows and toothpicks. I
know it has helped me with my drawing and my ability to see the different
isomers.
Carrie Sedgwick

KnLLopez

Jan 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/9/99
Karen,

An alternative to the marshmellows is to use chemical drawing software.
ChemOffice is a great resource and with Chem 3D you can really see the atoms.

Good luck,

Karlo M. and Lori L. Lopez