Math Club story from November 4th Fwd: Math writeup - 7 year olds

Maria Droujkova

Nov 11, 2010, 10:38:30 AM11/11/10
to natur...@googlegroups.com, Tom O'Brien
Laura,

Thank you very much for the story!

We had very good discussions during the club. It is somewhat hard to catch who initiates what. I wonder what tools we can use to catch/notice this, short of recording 100% of sounds. Right now, I am very curious how we even started that dimension conversation, and I can't remember!

Interestingly, dimensions came up this Tuesday as well. You can look at the set of objects for "Odd one out" as a space with multiple dimensions. For example, monster mouths form one dimension, eyes another, feet another. This view helps people see HOW to make "odd one out" sets. I am adding dimensions to the "Growing new eyes" topic, which I am aggregating at http://naturalmath.wikispaces.com/Growing+new+eyes

Erin on Tuesday said "Odd one out" reminded her of our grid activities, as well. Dimensions and grids - oh my!

Cheers,
Maria Droujkova

Make math your own, to make your own math.