[native-client-discuss] Building the new Native Client SDK?

davewrich

May 18, 2010, 8:44:17 PM5/18/10
to Native-Client-Discuss
Hello all,

I've been building my own custom version of Native Client on Linux for
a while now using the instructions at:

http://nativeclient.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/src/native_client/documentation/building.html

Because my changes include updates to the toolchain, I also build the
toolchain from source. I use the Firefox plugin to run my Native
Client applications.

But I'd like to transition away from this plugin model to make use of
Chrome's built-in Native Client support and the newly announced SDK.
Clearly, it's not sufficient for me to just download a Chrome and
Native Client SDK release; I'd like to be able to patch and build the
SDK and Native Client source in much the same way as I currently do
now.

Is there any documentation describing how to build the new Native
Client SDK? What's the right way of transitioning my development
workflow from my exisiting build environment to the environment where
Native Client is integrated into the Chrome source tree and the SDK is
separate?

Thanks very much for the help.

~Dave

David Springer

May 19, 2010, 2:07:25 AM5/19/10
to native-cli...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave,

The new Native Client SDK is meant for developers who want to write web applications using Native Client.  There is no way to change the toolchain from the nativeclient-sdk project.  To make changes to the toolchain, you will need to continue working as you are now, in the nativeclient project.

As long as you are not changing the interop mechanism in the Native Client runtime, you should be able to just run your .nexes in Chrome with the --enable-nacl flag.

- Dave.S

Cliff L. Biffle

May 19, 2010, 12:41:43 PM5/19/10
On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 5:44 PM, davewrich <dave...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been building my own custom version of Native Client on Linux for
> a while now using the instructions at:

You're very much ahead of the curve! :-)

> Because my changes include updates to the toolchain, I also build the
> toolchain from source.  I use the Firefox plugin to run my Native
> Client applications.

Are your changes something you'd be willing to discuss? I'm very curious.

--
Cliff L. Biffle
NaCl Team, Google, Inc.