NaCl Firefox Plugin

Afshar

Sep 14, 2010, 3:54:52 AM9/14/10
to Native-Client-Discuss

Hi,

1. Is the firefox Plugin (installed by ./scons --prebuilt
firefox_install) still active and operational or it is deprecated? I
get an error while trying to install it.

2. I have built the NaCl and Toolchain from source. How should I
test this inside Chrome? I think if I download the Chrome and run it
with --enable-nacl flag, it will use it's own NaCl plugin, right? How
should I make Chrome to use the NaCl plugin which I have built from
source?

Thanks,
--Afshar;

Mark Seaborn

Sep 14, 2010, 7:07:11 AM9/14/10
to native-cli...@googlegroups.com
On 14 September 2010 08:54, Afshar <afsh...@yahoo.com> wrote:

  Hi,

  1. Is the firefox Plugin (installed by ./scons --prebuilt
firefox_install) still active and operational or it is deprecated? I
get an error while trying to install it.

Yes, it still works, and we run automated tests against it.  What's the error?

  2. I have built the NaCl and Toolchain from source. How should I
test this inside Chrome? I think if I download the Chrome and run it
with --enable-nacl flag, it will use it's own NaCl plugin, right? How
should I make Chrome to use the NaCl plugin which I have built from
source?

In principle you can use the standalone NaCl NPAPI plugin with Chromium, but I haven't tried it, and it wouldn't work with Chromium's outer sandboxes.  The code for making NaCl work in the Chromium outer sandboxes has not yet been modularised sufficiently such that it works when NaCl is built separately from Chromium.

Cheers,
Mark

Brad Chen

Sep 14, 2010, 12:42:53 PM9/14/10
to native-cli...@googlegroups.com
We generally recommend people work in Chrome with the built-in NaCl support rather than using the plugin. Advanced features like Open GL are not available with the NPAPI plugin.

Brad