Ashita no namikimichi / Morning's Tree-Lined Streets (1936)

Michael Kerpan

Mar 6, 2006, 11:50:19 AM3/6/06
to NaruseRetro
Ashita no namikimichi / Morning's Tree-Lined Streets (1936)

An unheralded gem -- dismissed as inconsequential in Bock's list of
Naruse films. This portrays a country girls's move to the big city
(Tokyo) -- and does a wonderful job of subjectively capturing her naive
amazement as to the sights and manners she encounters. Our heroine
(Sachiko Chiba -- star of "Wife! Be Like a Rose") eventually arrives at
the home of a hometown friend -- who lives over and works at a
bar/cafe. She sight-sees a bit, looks for work unsuccessfully and
encounters a dashing white-collar worker who takes a fancy to her.
Before the film ends, Naruse will have perpetrated one of his most
outlandish (and surprising) tricks on his audience. Nothing profound
here, perhaps, but it is surprising to see that Naruse could present a
breezy "inconmsequential" film that was almost as wonderful as the
similar works of his former Shochiku colleague Shimizu.

Dan Sallitt

Mar 6, 2006, 1:08:09 PM3/6/06
to NaruseRetro
> An unheralded gem -- dismissed as inconsequential in Bock's list of
> Naruse films.

No subtitles, right, Michael? - Dan (eternally optimistic)

Michael Kerpan

Mar 6, 2006, 2:25:49 PM3/6/06
to NaruseRetro
No subtitles. Really, this is one where I expect they would be least
needed. ;~}

(Rather similar to the case of "Travelling Actors").