NanoEngineer chroot environment now available

Bryan Bishop

Apr 30, 2012, 3:08:26 AM4/30/12
to nanoengi...@googlegroups.com, Bryan Bishop, Mark Sims
I've put together a chroot environment of Ubuntu 7.04 that is
currently running off of the master branch. This is useful for those
of us on GNU/Linux who wish to develop against NE and move it on to
new libraries.

This chroot dump is 1.2 GB, so consider yourself warned:
http://diyhpl.us/~bryan/irc/nanoengineer/nanoengineer-chroot.tar.gz

Here's my notes on building the chroot environment:
https://github.com/kanzure/nanoengineer/commit/2a0222063af9b7c24622496898918d74e1a1b2e6
http://diyhpl.us/~bryan/irc/nanoengineer/nanoengineer-chroot-debootstrap

On a related note, I have mirrored the repository on github, and added
a central README. I think this file could be improved a lot, I just
wanted something resembling a start to an overview of this project.
But there's obviously a lot missing (like acknowledgements, examples,
usage, etc.).

http://github.com/kanzure/nanoengineer#readme

I am also open to ideas about recovering the wiki from the spam storm.
Mark, maybe you have some ideas about that? Are there any long-term
plans for keeping the wiki hosted and operational?

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507

Bryan Bishop

Apr 30, 2012, 3:13:00 AM4/30/12
On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 2:08 AM, Bryan Bishop wrote:
> This chroot dump is 1.2 GB, so consider yourself warned:
> http://diyhpl.us/~bryan/irc/nanoengineer/nanoengineer-chroot.tar.gz

Oops, I forgot to include usage instructions. Something like this:

wget http://diyhpl.us/~bryan/irc/nanoengineer/nanoengineer-chroot.tar.gz
tar -cvzf nanoengineer-chroot.tar.gz
sudo chroot /path/to/nanoengineer-chroot

Then login as nanoengineeruser (password is "password"):

su nanoengineeruser

Then launch NanoEngineer:

python ~/code/nanoengineer/cad/src/main.py

Bryan Bishop

Apr 30, 2012, 12:36:28 PM4/30/12
On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 2:13 AM, Bryan Bishop <kan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Oops, I forgot to include usage instructions. Something like this:
>
> wget http://diyhpl.us/~bryan/irc/nanoengineer/nanoengineer-chroot.tar.gz
> tar -cvzf nanoengineer-chroot.tar.gz
> sudo chroot /path/to/nanoengineer-chroot

Also, I forgot some necessary steps that will assist with making X:

cd /path/to/nanoengineer-chroot
sudo mount -t proc none proc
sudo mount -o bind /tmp tmp

You can test that X is working in your chroot session like (after
su-ing to nanoengineeruser):
echo $DISPLAY
xeyes
glxgears
glxinfo

Again to run it:
python ~/code/nanoengineeruser/cad/src/main.py

Here's an image of it running in a local chroot:
http://heybryan.org/shots/2012-04-30-1131-nanoengineer-chroot.png

Remote chroot with X11 forwarding was surprisingly usable, too.

Vasilii Artyukhov

May 2, 2012, 11:57:04 AM5/2/12
to nanoengi...@googlegroups.com
Bryan,

First of all, thanks for the great job! Finally someone got it to work on linux!

There are a couple of inaccuracies though: 1) the archive is actually tar, not tar.gz, and 2) python ~/code/nanoengineer/cad/src/main.py (you had "nanoengineeruser")

Other than that, it seems to work fine, albeit maybe a little slower than I remember it run under Win7 back before SP1 came out and broke everything...

Cheers,
Vasya

Bruce Allen

May 9, 2012, 3:52:25 PM5/9/12
to nanoengi...@googlegroups.com
Fantastic! I want to run it on Linux as well. Another effort that is needed is to make NanoEngineer-1 independent of the add in packages
that are deprecated. I will be working on an interface to LAMMPS this summer along with some other projects in MD.

Bryan Bishop

May 9, 2012, 3:55:38 PM5/9/12
to nanoengi...@googlegroups.com, Bruce Allen, Bryan Bishop
On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 2:52 PM, Bruce Allen <clau...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Fantastic! I want to run it on Linux as well. Another effort that is needed
> is to make NanoEngineer-1 independent of the add in packages
> that are deprecated. I will be working on an interface to LAMMPS this summer
> along with some other projects in MD.

My current plan is to slowly upgrade the chroot from ubuntu 7.04 to
whatever the next version was. Then, based on whatever errors show up,
I will be adding in new unit tests and fixing the deprecations. I
think there are a few unit tests (from what I've seen), but not
extensive coverage. It would be really great to just dist-upgrade
ubuntu, run tests, check everything out, upgrade again, but this task
will probably be more involved.