Nanode network problem

Zandak

Dec 23, 2011, 2:19:00 PM12/23/11
to nanode-users
Hi,
I've looked at the other posts and they cannot answer my questions.

Just built a Nanode (but no RF module fitted yet).
Using Arduino 1.0 IDE
Using the Ethershield library (tried Ethercard library too)

Which Arduino board should be selected? (currently using the Arduino
Nano w/ ATMEGA328. Correct?)

I can flash the red and green LED's at will.

When attempting to get network connectivity I cannot get further than:
DHCP Client test
0:4:A3:2C:17:F9
Init ENC28J60
Init done
ENC28J60 version 0
Failed to access ENC28J60

Any ideas?

Kevin

Ian Chilton

Dec 23, 2011, 2:50:31 PM12/23/11
to nanode...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

That means it can't talk to the ENC28J60.

I'd start by checking it's inserted properly and check your solder joints - the chances are there is a short in there somewhere.

You should see version 7 if it's talking properly.

Ian

Sent from my iPhone

Jon Bartlett

Dec 23, 2011, 3:21:29 PM12/23/11
to nanode...@googlegroups.com
Make sure you're using the latest EtherShield libraries. You should see the
'#define Nanode' and other code in the examples. You need to load these
into your Arduino Library folder.
The '0' tells you the Arduino cannot get to the Ethernet controller... could
be soldering/hardware or software....

Jon.

Zandak

Dec 23, 2011, 8:35:50 PM12/23/11
to nanode-users
Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Voltages and soldering are good, libraries and software are ok. It is
looking like a hardware issue. Will get a 'scope on it tomorrow
(today!) and see what is happening to the SPI lines etc.

Kevin
> Kevin- Hide quoted text -

mikethebee

Dec 30, 2011, 8:50:05 AM12/30/11
to nanode-users
Did you get your N5RF working? I have just built my first one and had
a similar problem. I tracked it down to the only uncertainty I had
when I was following Ian Chilton's excellent build guide. When adding
the Capacitor Fix (step 25B) I counted the SPI connections in the
wrong direction and thus added the cap between 3 and 6 rather than 2
and 6.

the SPI pins are:
1----2
3----4
5----6

Anyway after correcting my error the ENC initialises as "Version 7"
and work okay.

Hope that helps others, I'm sure Ian will revise the guide to help
ignoramuses like me.

Now to solder up NanodeTheBeeRF2 as a partner for the first.

Happy New Year
MikeTheBee

Ian Chilton

Dec 30, 2011, 10:03:17 AM12/30/11
to nanode...@googlegroups.com, miketh...@gmail.com
Hi Mike,

Thanks - i'll put something in the build guide to clear this up.

Ian

mikethebee

Dec 30, 2011, 11:01:55 AM12/30/11
to nanode-users
Thanks Ian, BTW I am missing 1 of the 7 ceramic 100nF caps in this
second kit, is there any 1 that I could miss out and still use the
N5RF?

Thx Mike

On 30 Dec, 15:03, Ian Chilton <ian.chil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> Thanks - i'll put something in the build guide to clear this up.
>
> Ian

Nigel Worsley

Dec 30, 2011, 12:21:38 PM12/30/11
to nanode...@googlegroups.com
mikethebee wrote:
> BTW I am missing 1 of the 7 ceramic 100nF caps in this
> second kit, is there any 1 that I could miss out and still use the N5RF?

If you aren't using analogue inputs then the one closest to pin 14 of the ENC28J60 can be omitted. The analogue inputs
should still work but there will be a lot of noise on the readings.

Nigle

Zandak

Dec 30, 2011, 4:54:15 PM12/30/11
to nanode-users
@Mike,
Just read the forum and picked up the Nanode since the Xmas fun
started.

Thanks for pointing out the capacitor thing. I checked and found that
I had positioned mine incorrectly too, thus decoupling one of the SPI
lines!

Needless to say the ENC28J60 now initialises as it should.

Now to get it to do something useful!

Kevin

mikethebee

Dec 31, 2011, 9:28:47 AM12/31/11
to nanode-users
Thx for the cap. help Nigel. After I posted the question I was at
Reading Hackspace and I was given a 330nF smc cap that I am advised is
suitable to replace the 100nF at C5 (3.3V decoupling cap). So I was
good to go.

I have now completed both and successfully tested them with each
other, my JeeNode RF12 backpack and an OEM meter board.

An to @Zandak: pleased to hear yours is up and running, and like
yourself the next thing is to get some applications up and running.

Happy New Year to all Nanode'rs, it is going to be a exciting year for
the Nanode and Ken in particular.
Cheers Mike.