UK Regulations

1 view

Peter Jones

Jun 26, 2008, 2:28:15 PM6/26/08
to N-Prize
Hi all

Complementary to the US-centred FAA thread, any other entrants from
the UK will need to register with the Secretary of State under the
"Outer Space Act 1986" (can you believe we have an 'outer- space act'.
If you read through it's obvious that whoever wrote it doesn't
actually know what outer-space is).

You can find the act itself at:

http://www.bnsc.gov.uk/assets/channels/about/outer%20space%20act%2019...

and a list of fees at:

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1989/Uksi_19891306_en_1.htm

Cheers

Peter

Peter Jones

Jun 26, 2008, 2:36:38 PM6/26/08
to N-Prize
Btw, Section 5 Subsection 2(b) contains a nice typo that I think was
put in there deliberately .... !

Cheers

Peter
Message has been deleted

Peter Jones

Jun 26, 2008, 2:51:02 PM6/26/08
to N-Prize
Sorry, the posting system here keeps truncating the link to the UK
Outer Space Act. I've taken a copy and you can download it from my
server at:

http://www.nebula-aerospace.com/legal/OSA.pdf

Cheers

Peter
> > Peter- Hide quoted text -

Alan

Jun 26, 2008, 5:35:18 PM6/26/08
to N-Prize
Nice typo ;)

-Alan

Peter Jones

Jun 26, 2008, 5:41:59 PM6/26/08
to N-Prize
Yeah. If it wasn't regarding a British Polititian then I might have
given them the benefit of the doubt. However, you can believe it as it
stands.

I'd better shut up now as I haven't made my application yet.

Cheers

Peter

On Jun 26, 10:35 pm, Alan <alankru...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nice typo ;)
>
> -Alan

Paul

Jun 27, 2008, 9:29:38 AM6/27/08
to N-Prize
A thousand quid for the licence! Blimey. I wonder if they'd settle
for £999.99

I also wonder if there's any way for UK entrants to coordinate under
common umbrella, incurring only one fee.... I'm sure that neither
Douggy Hogg nor her Maj would mind...

Peter Jones

Jun 27, 2008, 12:20:09 PM6/27/08
to N-Prize
Only if everyone was brought together under a single company, but then
the regs state that the Secretary of State would have to inspect
everyone's equipment with the company assuming responsibility. I don't
see this happening.

A grand is less than I thought it would be so I'm not too bothered.
The only bugger would be if the rules were changed such that this was
part of the cost, in which case we'd be hunting down the back of the
sofa for a donated penny (and maybe a rocket and some fuel).

Pete
> > > -Alan- Hide quoted text -

Paul

Jun 27, 2008, 12:39:45 PM6/27/08
to N-Prize
Point taken about a "single company".

I can guarantee that the rules won't change to include regulatory
costs. Nor will any fines or legal costs be counted!

Best,

Charles

Jun 27, 2008, 12:48:29 PM6/27/08
to N-Prize
The US passed its basic space law in 1986 also. It even spells out
the quarantine requirements for materials brought back from other
planets. They do think ahead.

Out system doesn't have fees as such, but the cost, efforts of
complying will be at least that expensive. They will be incurred as
we go. In some ways, better than an up-front fee payable at the worst
time.

The US regulations apply wherever we might launch if there are any US
people involved. At least the regs are clearly spelled out and the
set of things to do are defined.