Ordering Tasks and "Use Time" (Feature Request?)

Wreckless

Jan 8, 2009, 1:51:22 PM1/8/09
to MyLifeOrganized
I am trying to adapt MLO to a promising new time management method
called Autofocus by Mark Foster.

It requires ordering tasks in a list and being able to move tasks to
the bottom of the list.

I'm trying to fake this functionality by ordering by Due Date and when
I need to move a task to the bottom, I uncheck and recheck "Set Due
Date" and then check "Use Time".

The problem with this is that it sets the time 10 minutes into the
future and the task is not visible for 10 minutes.

Is there any other way to quickly put a task on the bottom of a list?
Or, could the "Use Time" feature at least be made to default to the
current time?

Thanks

Kudos

Jan 8, 2009, 2:28:19 PM1/8/09
to MyLifeOrganized
What about using the task created time?

In MLO Hotkeys (see my other post) there is a PartialCompleteTask
feature which duplicates a task then completes the original,
effectively adjusting the task creation date to the current time which
puts it at the bottom of the list. That's what I'm using!

Actually I have my MLO task filter ordering set up like this:

Goal (Descending)
Due Date (Ascending)
Created Date (Ascending)

This allows me to put tasks right at the top of the list either by
setting a weekly goal, or setting a due date.

Jon

Wreckless

Jan 8, 2009, 3:16:23 PM1/8/09
to MyLifeOrganized
Thank you! That was very helpful.

You helped me think of another way to do this too that might work for
me.

By sorted on Modified date, any item that is touched can move to the
bottom. In this case, that seems to work for the system!

Thanks!

On Jan 8, 2:28 pm, Kudos <jrum...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What about using the task created time?
>
> In MLO Hotkeys(see my other post) there is a PartialCompleteTask

LondonTrader

Jan 9, 2009, 2:48:58 AM1/9/09
to MyLifeOrganized
I'm doing it in the outline.

+Page
+Page

-Page
Task1

Task2
Task3
+Page
+Page
+Page

The >>> entry is a place marker. It reminds me I am working on Task 2
on the third page. When I feel I have done enough, I drag the task on
to the lowest page.

Steve Wynn

Jan 9, 2009, 9:56:06 AM1/9/09
to myLifeO...@googlegroups.com
I agree, do it in the Outline it keeps things really simple and with this method I think simplicity is key.

I am no expert on Autofocus - but I think the idea is not to move an item to the end of the list but to complete the item and re-enter it at the end of the list if more work is still required.

There are multiple ways to do this and now within the ToDo list view you can now just add another item to your last page. You could utilise CTRL+D to duplicate the item and then drag/drop to the last page. Or alternatively it could be achieved quite easily by using RTE. If you point RTE to the last page within the Outline any tasks entered from RTE will go to the bottom of the list as such.

Personally I think there is something to be said for manually typing the action in again - a little along the lines that writing something down on a frequent basis instills it into memory. I think even with typing as such, there is a similar principle involved.

As a place marker at the moment within my pages I utilise a weekly goal. One reason being I like the green tick for completion - I think it looks nifty.

All the best

Steve

Eric Raymond

Jan 9, 2009, 7:03:39 PM1/9/09
to MyLifeOrganized

While I like the various types of automatic sorting in MLO, there are
times when I'd really like to have a basic sort by priority that I
specify.

This really fell like a case where the designers have decided how I
need to use the tool ... always. Sometimes you want to hammer using
the wrench handle.

LondonTrader

Jan 10, 2009, 2:10:25 AM1/10/09
to MyLifeOrganized
Hmm - I thought I'd try the weekly goal trick, and see it's gone
missing on my beta version. Oh well . . .

I've actually been doing Ctrl-M and Enter to move a partially done
item to the end of the last page (of course the first time you need to
set the default position to move to). But if you want to keep a record
of such tasks in situ then I guess a duplication first.

The new system is so simple that almost any software can handle it.
I've been very tempted to use pen and paper. Also tried Google
Spreadsheet (where the number of rows in a tabbed sheet can be
restricted), I think Excel might be good too, and portable. I like the
speed of Ctrl-M Enter, but on the Pocket PC the process is much
slower. Also it would be nice to have a count after the outline text
showing x items unchecked out of y - e.g. "Page [9/25]. And
highlighting I have yet to do, but MLO desktop can't yet do that,
while the Pocket PC can with a little persuasion.

But as you rightly say, simplicity is key, and at the moment I suspect
the technology is slower than using a pen (though better for backing
up!).

Richard Collings

Jan 10, 2009, 10:14:38 AM1/10/09
to myLifeO...@googlegroups.com
This is high on my list (and a number of others) but previous requests have
sadly elicited a deafening silence (as far as I can see) from Andrey (which
I am interpreting as a 'No'). Happy to hear otherwise.