Task Dependency - new undocumented feature of MLO 2.0

Andrey Tkachuk (MLO)

Apr 24, 2008, 1:37:13 PM4/24/08
to MyLifeOrganized
There are tasks in my outline which can not be started until other
tasks are completed. I think you have the same story with your
projects.

We do have great function in MLO for tasks like this: “Complete
Subtasks in Order”. The limitation of this function, however, is that
depended tasks should be placed on the same level in the outline and
one task depends on another task in specified order. It is easy but
not flexible.

So let’s add flexibility (and complexity?) to the task dependencies in
MLO. Ready!? :-)

The task dependency is *undocumented* feature of MLO version 2.0 for
now. We did not have time to add support of it to Synchronization,
Import/Export and to PocketPC. It works great however on Desktop and
you can start using it if you want. To activate this undocumented
feature you need to add the following key to your registry and restart
MLO ver. 2.0:
-----------
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MyLifeOrganized.net\Debug
UseTaskDependencies = 1 (DWORD)
----------
If you know nothing about the registry just download, unzip and double
click *.reg file and it will do it for you:
http://www.mylifeorganized.net/downloads/files/beta/ActivateDependencyReg.zip

I have already used this function when I planned release of 2.0 and it
helped me a lot! I had about 50-60 tasks in my outline related to ver.
2.0 release project. Some of them could not be started until some
tasks in other branches completed. See the part of this project in my
example with screenshots in the next post.

Like it? Enjoy it!
Andrey.

Andrey Tkachuk (MLO)

Apr 24, 2008, 1:40:52 PM4/24/08
to MyLifeOrganized
While "Beta testing" project is in progress I can still work on *some* tasks
from next project "Prepare 2.0 FINAL" ("Prepare upgrade coupons" and "Fix
critical bugs reported if any"). I can not work on "BUILD 2.0" until "Beta
testing" project is done. So I set this dependency and "BUILD 2.0" will not
be shown on ToDo until "Beta testing" is completed in "Active" mode.

If I change "Active" to "Available" the task dependency switched off and I
can see all the tasks available.

You can add several tasks to the list the current task depends on. Also you
can select ALL (i.e. operation AND) if all tasks must be completed to
unblock the task or ANY (i.e. operation OR) if you need at least one task
from the list to be completed to unblock the specified task.

--
Andrey Tkachuk

Snap1.gif
Snap2.gif
Snap3.gif
Snap4.gif
Snap5.gif

DavidH

Apr 24, 2008, 3:14:55 PM4/24/08
to MyLifeOrganized
This is totally awesome dude.

For me this has far more upgrade value than advanced filtering. An
excellent feature.

Thanks

David

On Apr 24, 6:40 pm, "Andrey Tkachuk \(MLO\)"
> http://www.mylifeorganized.net/downloads/files/beta/ActivateDependenc...
>

> > I have already used this function when I planned release of 2.0 and it
> > helped me a lot! I had about 50-60 tasks in my outline related to ver.
> > 2.0 release project. Some of them could not be started until some
> > tasks in other branches completed. See the part of this project in my
> > example with screenshots in the next post.
>
> > Like it? Enjoy it!
> > Andrey.
>

> Snap1.gif
> 26KViewDownload
>
> Snap2.gif
> 24KViewDownload
>
> Snap3.gif
> 27KViewDownload
>
> Snap4.gif
> 26KViewDownload
>
> Snap5.gif
> 24KViewDownload

Koch

Apr 24, 2008, 3:55:00 PM4/24/08
to MyLifeOrganized
Great news Andrey! Thank You

Waiting for realisation of this feature at PPC version.

Graham Foster

Apr 24, 2008, 11:41:53 PM4/24/08
to MyLifeOrganized
Doesn't seem to be a delete dependency.. well its there - it just
doesn't work :(
Graham

On Apr 24, 10:40 am, "Andrey Tkachuk \(MLO\)"
> http://www.mylifeorganized.net/downloads/files/beta/ActivateDependenc...
>

> > I have already used this function when I planned release of 2.0 and it
> > helped me a lot! I had about 50-60 tasks in my outline related to ver.
> > 2.0 release project. Some of them could not be started until some
> > tasks in other branches completed.  See the part of this project in my
> > example with screenshots in the next post.
>
> > Like it? Enjoy it!
> > Andrey.
>

>  Snap1.gif
> 26KViewDownload
>
>  Snap2.gif
> 24KViewDownload
>
>  Snap3.gif
> 27KViewDownload
>
>  Snap4.gif
> 26KViewDownload
>
>  Snap5.gif
> 24KViewDownload- Hide quoted text -

Andrey Tkachuk (MLO)

Apr 25, 2008, 1:47:02 AM4/25/08
to MyLifeOrganized
select the dependency, right click and click delete

Dmitry_N

Apr 25, 2008, 5:10:34 AM4/25/08
to MyLifeOrganized
Wow!

This is a good replacement for task links (or "shortcuts")! I will
play with this feature and report!

Thanks!

On Apr 25, 9:47 am, "Andrey Tkachuk (MLO)"

mec

Apr 25, 2008, 5:23:13 AM4/25/08
to MyLifeOrganized
My appreciation!

Indeed this help to focus in crowded to do list!

Mario

Martyn

Apr 25, 2008, 5:27:48 AM4/25/08
to MyLifeOrganized
Love it! Excellent addition.

My second thought is that I would like the dependencies to be taken
into account when displaying ALL tasks as well as ACTIVE tasks.

My suggestion (and this would reduce mouse clicks, too):

Use radio buttons for the Action Filter, and include an Option, thus:

* Active
* Available
* Next Actions
* Completed
* All
|_| Include dependencies

I haven't thought it through fully so there is probably something I
haven't thought of and it won't work like this.

Martyn

On Apr 24, 6:37 pm, "Andrey Tkachuk (MLO)"
<for...@mylifeorganized.net> wrote:
> There are tasks in my outline which can not be started until other
> tasks are completed. I think you have the same story with your
> projects.
>
> We do have great function in MLO for tasks like this: “Complete
> Subtasks in Order”. The limitation of this function, however, is that
> depended tasks should be placed on the same level in the outline and
> one task depends on another task in specified order. It is easy but
> not flexible.
>
> So let’s add flexibility (and complexity?) to the task dependencies in
> MLO. Ready!? :-)
>
> The task dependency is *undocumented* feature of MLO version 2.0 for
> now. We did not have time to add support of it to Synchronization,
> Import/Export and to PocketPC. It works great however on Desktop and
> you can start using it if you want. To activate this undocumented
> feature you need to add the following key to your registry and restart
> MLO ver. 2.0:
> -----------
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MyLifeOrganized.net\Debug
> UseTaskDependencies = 1 (DWORD)
> ----------
> If you know nothing about the registry just download, unzip and double
> click *.reg file and it will do it for you:http://www.mylifeorganized.net/downloads/files/beta/ActivateDependenc...

Sergey Pavlenko

Apr 25, 2008, 6:43:49 AM4/25/08
to MyLifeOrganized
At last we have task dependences! : )
Thank you, Andrey!
I'm testing it, first impression -- possibility to drag tasks to the
list would be very comfortable.
And now you as straight man have to think about some kind of
visualization of tasks links.

One more question -- don't you want to use .ini file(s) instead of MS
registry?

/// Sergey

On Apr 24, 8:37 pm, "Andrey Tkachuk (MLO)"
<for...@mylifeorganized.net> wrote:
> There are tasks in my outline which can not be started until other
> tasks are completed. I think you have the same story with your
> projects.
>
> We do have great function in MLO for tasks like this: “Complete
> Subtasks in Order”. The limitation of this function, however, is that
> depended tasks should be placed on the same level in the outline and
> one task depends on another task in specified order. It is easy but
> not flexible.
>
> So let’s add flexibility (and complexity?) to the task dependencies in
> MLO. Ready!? :-)
>
> The task dependency is *undocumented* feature of MLO version 2.0 for
> now. We did not have time to add support of it to Synchronization,
> Import/Export and to PocketPC. It works great however on Desktop and
> you can start using it if you want. To activate this undocumented
> feature you need to add the following key to your registry and restart
> MLO ver. 2.0:
> -----------
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MyLifeOrganized.net\Debug
> UseTaskDependencies = 1 (DWORD)
> ----------
> If you know nothing about the registry just download, unzip and double
> click *.reg file and it will do it for you:http://www.mylifeorganized.net/downloads/files/beta/ActivateDependenc...

jamezzz

Apr 25, 2008, 9:49:03 AM4/25/08
to MyLifeOrganized
This is a feature I've wanted to see in just about every task
management tool I've tried. Great start Andrey!!

I'm can think of two useful improvements:
1) It would be very nice to have some visual indicator in the Outline
and Todo lists to indicate which tasks of have dependencies or are
part of a dependency. Perhaps one icon next to the task if it's
dependent on other tasks and a different icon if there's a parent task
dependent on this task. At least with these icons I would know which
tasks to click and then see the dependencies in properties.
2) OR....If I click one of the dependency icons next to a given task,
perhaps the other tasks could be highlighted in the outline or todo
list.
3) OR....I click one of the dependency icons and the task expands to
show the dependencies below it somehow (even in the todo list). Of
course, this expansion might look different than the normal collapse/
expand that already exists in the outline.

Love it!!!

Maxx

Apr 25, 2008, 4:34:09 PM4/25/08
to MyLifeOrganized
Andrey,

Is it possible to enable this feature if you are using MLO on a USB
drive? If so how?
I recently purchased the program and I have found it to be all that I
expected and more. The product is worth every penny, it has already
saved me many times the purchase price in hours and dollars. Your hard
work and dedication to the development of MLO is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

On Apr 24, 1:37 pm, "Andrey Tkachuk (MLO)"

mikemac

Apr 25, 2008, 5:09:39 PM4/25/08
to MyLifeOrganized
Great addition! I've been waiting for something like this, in fact it
was my top request in the "5 features you want added". It's worth the
upgrade fee alone!

BOC

Apr 25, 2008, 8:17:51 PM4/25/08
to MyLifeOrganized
Doesn't work with templates yet where it could have a lot of value.

BOC

Apr 25, 2008, 8:40:55 PM4/25/08
to MyLifeOrganized
I don't think my previous post made much sense.

I interpreted dependency as more of a "lock" vs another to-do filter.
I work just as much in the outline as I do the to-do list and I
thought assigning dependencies wouldn't let me complete a task until
the others were done. Rather, dependencies just keep it from being
shown in the to-do as Andrey stated.

I guess a feature request would be to consider dependency as a
"lock".

Anyone agree?

Graham Foster

Apr 26, 2008, 9:19:03 PM4/26/08
to MyLifeOrganized
Been there - tried that - but the space where the check box is is
impossible to "check". It sort of twicthes but never gets a check in
the box - so as I said before - delete doesn't work.
Graham

On Apr 24, 10:47 pm, "Andrey Tkachuk (MLO)"

LondonTrader

Apr 27, 2008, 3:37:57 AM4/27/08
to MyLifeOrganized
Same on my system. Cannot delete dependencies. As a temporary
workaround one can duplicate (Ctrl-D) the task and delete the
original, the dependencies are not there in the copy.

So with this work-around it I am able to use it to design check-lists,

James Murphy

Apr 28, 2008, 5:51:48 AM4/28/08
to myLifeO...@googlegroups.com
2008/4/24 Andrey Tkachuk (MLO) <for...@mylifeorganized.net>:

> So let's add flexibility (and complexity?) to the task dependencies in
> MLO. Ready!? :-)

Oooooo.... the filtering wasn't really enough to have me reaching for
my credit card for v2.0, this OTOH might just tip the balance!

--
Murph

Meiti

Apr 29, 2008, 7:28:59 AM4/29/08
to MyLifeOrganized
Hello Graham,

delete works for me when I click on the left side of the line with the
dependancy
=> just left of the empty check box. The box itself does not get
checked but
the whole dependancy line is selected. Then I can right click and
"Remove Selected Tasks ...".

Best regards,
Klaus

Andy Red

Apr 30, 2008, 4:26:46 AM4/30/08
to MyLifeOrganized
Yes I found that as well... right click anywhere on the task name in
the dependancies box and select "remove dependant task" - it
disappears from list.