MLO not connecting to Outlook

cliv...@telefonica.net

Jun 10, 2006, 12:31:53 PM6/10/06
to MyLifeOrganized
When I try to set up Outlook sync I get the message "Can not connect to

MS Outlook: The specified module could not be found".

I use Chapura Key Suite to synchronise Outlook to my Palm and this is
working perfectly. I also sync Microsoft money to the palm using
Ultrasoft Money and that also works perfectly.

Is it possible that one of these programs is preventing me syncing with
MLO?

I think it would be helpful to understand just how MLO connects to
Outlook.

Clivehop

Andrey Tkachuk (MLO)

Jun 12, 2006, 2:58:13 AM6/12/06
to MyLifeOrganized
http://www.mylifeorganized.net/products/my-life-organized/faq.htm
Q: When I try to sync to Outlook (File->Setup Outlook Sync), I get
error "Can not connect to MS Outlook: The specified module could not be
found." or "Class not registered"
A: First you should check if your Outlook installed properly. To do
this:

1. In any text editor create a text file "test.vbs"
2. Add three lines in it:

Set objOutlook = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
Set objNameSpace = objOutlook.GetNameSpace("MAPI")
objNameSpace.PickFolder

3. Run test.vbs

If modal dialog with Outlook folders is not displayed then your Outlook
is not installed properly. The fastest fix is to do a "repair" from the
Outlook or office installer.

cliv...@telefonica.net

Jun 12, 2006, 4:34:58 AM6/12/06
to MyLifeOrganized
Running test.vbs as you have written it brings up the same error as
MLO. However, if I change the first line as follows the dialog with
Outlook folders opens.

Set objOutlook = CreateObject("Outlook.Application","localhost")

I picked this up somwhere on the web after searching the error number.
I have no programming knowledge myself.

Matt

Jun 22, 2006, 7:09:43 PM6/22/06
to MyLifeOrganized
I have reinstalled Outlook 2003, and I still get the same error. I
have confirmed that I get, the folders dialog when I run the test.vbs
script and use:

Set objOutlook = CreateObject("Outlook.Application","localhost")

This is a real problem, and repairing and reinstalling does nothing. I
also have Outlook 2003.

Andrey Tkachuk (MLO)

Jun 23, 2006, 4:40:06 AM6/23/06
to MyLifeOrganized
I will try to investigate the issue.

Andrey Tkachuk (MLO)

Jun 23, 2006, 5:31:25 AM6/23/06
to MyLifeOrganized
do you have any Antivirus installed?
Please look at this thread:
http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-2461785.php

Jason Bates

Jul 21, 2006, 7:35:32 AM7/21/06
to MyLifeOrganized
I'm having the same issue.... (!)

I'm a New trial user to MLO, just trying it out... impressed, but this
is a show stopper.

I click on "setup outlook sync" in the file menu of MLO, and up pops a
box with the error message described above.

I'm using Outlook 2007 Beta 2, KeySuite, and palm, which all sync fine.
The VB script above also only works with me with the "localhost"
addition to the script.

I've 'repaired' my Outlook installation
I've tried reinstalling MLO, (and also tried the latest beta)
I've removed my antivirus programme (Norton) but I'm still getting the
same issue

Help?

are "localhost' additions to the VB calls in the app possible?

Thanks in advance

Andrey Tkachuk (MLO)

Jul 21, 2006, 11:39:24 AM7/21/06
to MyLifeOrganized
After deep investigations I found out that the only reason is errors in
Outlook installation. Even if you add 'localhost' and the test script
from FAQ will work it would not help since if you add 'localhost' other
methods are used to communicate with Outlook. And the method which MLO
uses is corrupted if test script does not work. The only way to repair
it is to reinstall MS Office.

Here is detailed e-mail from Clive who 'cured' the problem:

-----------
Sent: Monday, July 03, 2006 4:18 PM
Andrey,

I have not solved the problem, but cured it.

I was unable to find out what was different about my two Outlook
setups, so I did not solve anything.

My MS Office suite has had a rough time - It has been upgraded
from Office 2000, to Office XP to Office 2003 Pro. I have also
done a lot of experimenting trying to share my contacts with my
wife without having Exchange. Then there was the David Allen GTD
plug in, so who knows where the problem was.

I have cured it by uninstalling the entire Office 2003 and OneNote
from my PC. After rebooting I ran PC Tools Registry Mechanic which
found 143 faults and repaired them. These were all related to the
Office suite. One more reboot and I reinstalled Office 2003
followed by service patch two and now MLO connects. The new
installation found my Outlook files and everything is fine.
Outlook is running so much quicker now, so it was worth the
effort. I have not reinstalled OneNote yet. You were correct
Andrey that the problem was in Outlook and not in MLO

Clive

PHs I have now bought my licence for MLO Pro.
-----------

Jason Bates

Jul 21, 2006, 1:42:31 PM7/21/06
to MyLifeOrganized
Thanks,

I'll fish out the installation disks, and give it a go.

Great product btw.

Regards,

Jason

Jason Bates

Jul 22, 2006, 2:09:38 PM7/22/06
to MyLifeOrganized
MLO is now syncing with outlook!.. hoorah!

As suggested

I backed up my outlook files... always prudent
I uninstalled office Professional 2007 beta 2 (I left onenote alone)
I ran Registry Mechanic, found a whole host of errors and fixed them
I then rebooted and re-installed MS office

(all of my configuration files ( e.g. outlook messages and rules )were
retained from the previous installation... excellent!)

.... and finally after starting up MLO, I popped the "setup outlook
sync" button, and hey presto a menu finally appeared!

Thanks for the swift advice, and good luck to anyone else who
experiences this rather annoying problem.

Regards,

Jason

Andrey Tkachuk (MLO)

Jul 26, 2006, 6:49:47 AM7/26/06
to MyLifeOrganized
Hi,

Another user has been using MLO for months and then it stops syncing
with Outlook for "unknown reason". The reason was installing Symantec
Anti Virus.

He solved the problem with the following:

=================================
If you get an error from a code statement like this:

Set ol = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")

the cause may be an anti-virus program on your computer that has a
feature to block Outlook scripting. The solution is to turn off the
script blocking feature.

If you're using Symantec Anti Virus, make a backup of the Windows
registry, and then see if these changes solve the problem:

1. Go to the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Outlook.Application\CLSID key and note
the (Default) value. It will be a GUID, most likely
{0006F03A-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}.

2. Now go to the key
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{0006F03A-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\InprocServer32
key, using the value from Step 1 if it's different from that shown
above.

3. For the (Default) for that key, you should see this value:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script
Blocking\ScrBlock.dll

Delete that text, so that the key's (Default) value becomes (value not
set)

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

Andrey.