MLO Outlook Drag-and-Drop -- Kind of Transient, isn't it?

pet...@gmail.com

Aug 16, 2007, 3:12:13 AM8/16/07
to MyLifeOrganized
I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this. The MS Outlook OIDs
seem to change if I use d-n-d to bring a message over from Outlook to
MLO.

Use case A:
1) Drag-and-drop a message into MLO
2) Click on the hyperlink
3) Opens up the message.
<< RESULTS: Fine>>

Use case B:
1) Drag-and-drop a message into MLO
2) Delete the message in Outlook
4) Message does not open up. In fact, if I go and d-n-d the message
from the Deleted folder into MLO, it's got a different OID.

Use case C: (strange)
1) Drag-and-drop a message into MLO
2) Click on the hyperlink
3) It opens up the Outlook message.
4) Delete the message in Outlook
6) Message still opens up correctly.

In other words, if you move or delete the message before you actually
click on the link in MLO, MS Outlook goes ahead and generates another
OID for the same message and invalidates the old one.

I'm using Windows XP and Outlook 2003 SP2.

Has anyone else found this to be the case?

Thanks,
-Mike

jrgall...@gmail.com

Aug 16, 2007, 1:25:00 PM8/16/07
to MyLifeOrganized
I practically quit using DND from Outlook (though I loved the
feature), because I routinely could not get back to the message if I
altered the location in Outlook.

What I would like to be able to do is:
1. DND from my Outlook Inbox to my MLO "Inbox"
2. File the message in Outlook if needed for reference, or delete
altogether if the email represents a closed-ended action for me, which
I will track in MLO
3. Process my MLO "Inbox" a la GTD methodology

What I did for a while was:
1. Process my Outlook Inbox a la GTD and file the email in a folder in
Outlook
2. Go to each Outlook folder used in 1, above, and DND into my MLO
"Inbox"
This way the OIDs would stay synchronized
3. Process my MLO "Inbox" a la GTD

It's the going to all the Outlook folders I use that is painstaking
and always left me with the feeling that I was missing something

I finally gave up.

Hoping, praying that there is a way to keep the OIDs
synchronized . . .

I love MLO!! But I wish it were more seamless to get out of using my
Outlook Inbox as a secondary To Do List.

David Jade

Aug 20, 2007, 5:32:18 PM8/20/07
to MyLifeOrganized
Unfortunately there is no way to convince Outlook to preserve OIDs.
This is documented by Microsoft. It happens because when an item in
moved within Outlook, Outlook deletes and then recreate the item in
the new location, hence the item has a new OID. Sometimes however
Outlook won't always do this, especially in non-Exchange enviroments
but there is nothing that can be done to change this behaviour that I
am aware of.

A better solution, imho would be for MLO to expose a rich COM
automation API to create and manipulate tasks. Then from an Outlook
macro you could create a MLO task and tag the Outlook item with the
newely created MLO item ID and when the item was moved within Outlook
(which you can detect in a macro or add-in), you could update the OID
in the existing MLO task notes. You could also at that point link the
Outlook item to the MLO item id to have two-way linking, provided that
MLO exposed a CreateTask() API that returns a persistent MLO://
identifier.

david