Images not displayed in ODT, but are fine in PDF

David

Jul 16, 2011, 11:59:33 PM7/16/11
to mw...@googlegroups.com
I'm running a private (i.e. log-in required) wiki on MediaWiki 1.17 with Collection 1.4 using the Pediapress server to generate output.

It works fine generating PDFs, which display text and images as expected, so it seems as though the log-in credentials for mwlib are working, and images are being uploaded to the Pediapress server.

However, when ODTs are generated, they do not display the images -- although the filesizes are large enough to suggest the images are in there somewhere.

Example: I choose a page containing text and four JPG images, and select "Download as ODT". The file renders and I download it; filesize is 1.6 Mb. When I open the file in OpenOffice 3.3, all the text is there, but none of the images. If I re-save the file using OpenOffice, the filesize reduces to just 23Kb.

Anyone have any suggestions as to where the problem might lie?

Best,

David

David

Jul 26, 2011, 10:52:34 PM7/26/11
to mwlib
After doing some extensive testing, the problem seems to lie with
images that are floated or positioned.

To summarise my results, the only images which display as expected in
an ODT are of the following form:

1. [[File:foo.jpg]]
2. [[File:foo.jpg|100px]]
3. [[File:foo.jpg|border]]

The following examples do not display at all:

4. [[File:foo.jpg|thumb|100px]]
5. [[File:foo.jpg|thumbnail|100px]]
6. [[File:foo.jpg|frame]]

Add a "left", "right", "center", or "none" to any of the six examples
above, and the result does not display at all.

Examples 1, 2 and 3 do not allow captions to be displayed along with
the image, so are not a great workaround.

I have tested with OpenOffice version 3.3 as well as past versions
(2.x and 1.x), and LibreOffice 3.3.3, all of which have the same
problem. Microsoft Word 2007 refuses to even open the downloaded ODT,
claiming an "Unspecified error".

It is vital that I can download ODT versions of my wiki pages, so I am
hoping that other members of this group can provide me with some help.

Best,

David

David

Aug 1, 2011, 11:27:28 PM8/1/11
to mw...@googlegroups.com
Is there anyone that can verify if this bug is unique to my installation of MediaWiki (i.e. an issue with my server) or is an issue with mwlib's rendering of ODT files?

David

Volker Haas

Aug 2, 2011, 6:08:18 AM8/2/11
to mw...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,
the missing images have nothing to do with your specific installation,
it's a bug in the odt export. I had a look at the odtwriter but
unfortunately I have no idea how to fix that.

Regards,
Volker

> --

volker haas brainbot technologies ag
fon +49 6131 2116394 boppstra�e 64
fax +49 6131 2116392 55118 mainz
volke...@brainbot.com http://www.brainbot.com/

David

Aug 3, 2011, 9:30:29 PM8/3/11
to mw...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for confirming it's a bug, Volker.

I don't think I am able to register on the Codepress bug tracker (I think I read that registrations are closed at the moment). Would you or another registered user be able to submit a bug report?

David

alexbo...@gmail.com

Jan 16, 2013, 9:28:22 AM1/16/13
to mw...@googlegroups.com
I have reproduce this with last version of mwlib.
Would you be so kind to estimate the possibility of the bug fix?

Thank you for your help in advance.