two WatiN packages on NuGet ... which one to choose

Roland Tepp

Mar 22, 2011, 7:16:56 AM3/22/11
to mvccontri...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

There are two packages on NuGet repository from MvcContrib that have WatiN in their name
  • MvcContrib.WatiN
  • MvcContrib.Mvc3.WatiN-ci
What is te difference and why/when whould I choose/prefer one over the other?
The descriptions on both packages are generic text about MvcContrib and gives me absolutely no useful insight into what these packages actually do...

I find a lot of positive vibe about MvcContrib on the net, but as a newcomer to the whole .NET, asp.net and MVC in particular, I find the state of documentation (or lack thereof) on MvcContrib rather confusing. some of the stuff is actually quite well ducumented, but most of the project suffers greatly from lacking even the most basic documentation ...

Jeremy Skinner

Mar 22, 2011, 7:47:42 AM3/22/11
to mvccontri...@googlegroups.com
Hi.

MvcContrib.WatiN is an old version that is for use with MVC2. With the MVC3 release, the packages were renamed, so the one you want is MvcContrib.Mvc3.WatiN-ci (it has the "ci" suffix because the package is updated with each successful build of our continuous integration server).

Documentation is indeed an issue...which areas in particular would you like to see focused on? Personally I've not had time to do any work on mvccontrib for a while (and that's likely to be the case for quite some time), but if you or anyone else would like to assist in contributing documentation, please feel free.

Jeremy

--
Contact Jeffrey Palermo or Eric Hexter with specific questions about the MvcContrib project. Or go to http://mvccontrib.org

Brandon Satrom

Mar 22, 2011, 8:20:00 AM3/22/11
to mvccontri...@googlegroups.com

This one is on me. I’ve had it on my list to create formal docs for the WatiN test helpers for some time now, and just haven’t gotten there yet. I want to say I’ll do them in the next week or so, but I can’t make any promises. I can, however, point you to a short screencast that walks though the WatiN Test Helpers and how to use them. It’s just under 10 minutes, so should be well worth your time: http://channel9.msdn.com/posts/ASPNET-MVC-With-Community-Tools-Part-5-MvcContribs-WatiN-Test-Helpers

Thanks,

Brandon

Roland Tepp

Mar 25, 2011, 3:57:08 AM3/25/11
to mvccontri...@googlegroups.com, Brandon Satrom
Yes, I saw the screencast ant that was what whetted my appetite. :)

Roland Tepp

Mar 25, 2011, 4:07:06 AM3/25/11
to mvccontri...@googlegroups.com, Jeremy Skinner
Hi,

On Tuesday, March 22, 2011 1:47:42 PM UTC+2, Jeremy Skinner wrote:
MvcContrib.WatiN is an old version that is for use with MVC2. With the MVC3 release, the packages were renamed, so the one you want is MvcContrib.Mvc3.WatiN-ci (it has the "ci" suffix because the package is updated with each successful build of our continuous integration server).

Thanks, this was what I suspected.

Now it would be nice to have this information appear in the NuGet package description as well, so that when someone else would bump into these packages they would not need to go hunting internets for more information...

Documentation is indeed an issue...which areas in particular would you like to see focused on? Personally I've not had time to do any work on mvccontrib for a while (and that's likely to be the case for quite some time), but if you or anyone else would like to assist in contributing documentation, please feel free.

For starters - all (or quite many, I should say) NuGet packages have generic description of whole MvcContrib project in package metadata instead of particular functionality the package itself provides... That would be a good place to start... :)

And of course - MvcContrib is a huge project with many sub-projects. It would be nice to have at least an adequate outline of all the subprojects in MvcContrib and their intention/benefit plus some documentation on how to get these features into your project.

For me at least, since I am a relative beginner, it is extremely useful if someone would outline best and established practices of including 3rd party dependencies into my project.

PS - I would like to help, but seeing how I am helpless myself at times, I don't think I can contribute at this moment...