bbc data released

Michael Smethurst

Jun 19, 2007, 8:31:08 AM6/19/07
to music-ontology-sp...@googlegroups.com

Hi all

As promised we've just released data for John Peel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Peel) and Top of the Pops (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_of_the_pops) under creative commons. Also a demo app of 'clickable tracklists' with nowplaying api. Both the Tracklist and TOTP sites have been impregnated with MusicBrainz IDs.

Peel here:
http://bbc-hackday.dyndns.org:2820/

TOTP here:
http://bbc-hackday.dyndns.org:2821/

Tracklist demo here:
http://bbc-hackday.dyndns.org:2822/

= Coming soon =
- Later (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Later..._with_Jools_Holland) data (hopefully)

- Proms (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proms) data (definitely)

http://www.bbc.co.uk

Yves Raimond

Jun 19, 2007, 8:33:03 AM6/19/07
to music-ontology-sp...@googlegroups.com
Cool!

I already started to hack a bit with this:-) I'll let you know when I
have something interesting to show!

Cheers!

Michael Smethurst

Jun 19, 2007, 8:38:39 AM6/19/07
to music-ontology-sp...@googlegroups.com
damn ur quick - that's cool

really nice to see u recently - we should meet up more often

in other news the bbc (and last.fm) have /finally/ signed data licence deals with MusicBrainz... so mr robert finally has some money. yeeeaaaaahhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

;-)

Cool!

Cheers!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/

winmail.dat

Danny Ayers

Jun 19, 2007, 8:46:01 AM6/19/07
On 19/06/07, Yves Raimond <yves.r...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Cool!

+1!

> I already started to hack a bit with this:-) I'll let you know when I
> have something interesting to show!

Yay!
(and there was I merely blogging it :-)

Cheers,
Danny.

--

http://dannyayers.com

Yves Raimond

Jun 19, 2007, 8:47:42 AM6/19/07
to music-ontology-sp...@googlegroups.com
> damn ur quick - that's cool

Well, I cheated a bit - I virtually know some people who were at the
hack day :-)

> really nice to see u recently - we should meet up more often

Sure!!! Let's plan some beers for the beginning of July!

> in other news the bbc (and last.fm) have /finally/ signed data licence deals with MusicBrainz... so mr robert finally has some money. yeeeaaaaahhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

:-D

Nicholas J Humfrey

Jun 19, 2007, 8:47:03 AM6/19/07
to music-ontology-sp...@googlegroups.com
That is indeed very good news :)

Looking forward to MusicBrainz IDs returning to the last.fm website
(and the BBCs!).

nick.

Michael Smethurst

Jun 19, 2007, 8:58:32 AM6/19/07
to music-ontology-sp...@googlegroups.com
interestingly (or not) one of the next items on the /music backlog is to make artists and albums addressable using brainz ids. There's not much there (about 2000 artists / 6000 album reviews) but it's growing fairly rapidly and it'll be one more node on the web of data (copyright Tom Coates <cite>http://www.plasticbag.org/archives/2006/02/my_future_of_web_apps_slides/</cite>)

not sure how i managed to persuade editorial people that this was a better use of time than pulling in more bloody flickr bloody photos but they seem convinced

;)

winmail.dat

Michael Smethurst

Jun 19, 2007, 9:14:34 AM6/19/07
to music-ontology-sp...@googlegroups.com
we'll try and find a nice pub with tables big enough for the proposed new brainz schema

think/hope ull find a lot of music-ontology thinking in there

Jun 19, 2007, 9:27:31 AM6/19/07
to music-ontology-sp...@googlegroups.com
Hi Micheal,

This is really great!

Will play with it too.

However, I am wondering if you would be willing to create RDF out of
this, like you do with the ".xml" extension. It shouldn't be a big
modification, does it?

Would be willing to help you out with this.

Take care,

Fred

Michael Smethurst

Jun 19, 2007, 9:27:57 AM6/19/07
to music-ontology-sp...@googlegroups.com
i'm officially on holiday at the mo so i won't be able to do anything for a little while but it should be an easy job

alternatively, the rails app code is available for download. if anybody wants to hack it in the meantime i'll upload the changes on my return...

Jun 19, 2007, 11:39:05 AM6/19/07
to music-ontology-sp...@googlegroups.com
btw how do you people feel about rdf-a? been playing around with microformats a lot recently but the more exposure i get the less i think the uf people know what they're doing...

Jun 20, 2007, 5:05:24 AM6/20/07
to music-ontology-sp...@googlegroups.com
> btw how do you people feel about rdf-a? been playing around with microformats a lot recently but the more exposure i get the less i think the uf people know what they're doing...

Well - instead of embedding data into documents, i'd rather generate
documents from the data, using small APIs such as RAP, swi, sparql
ajax clients, etc. But there seems to be quite an amazing buzz around
rdf-a (and other grddl-able languages), so I may be missing an
important point here!

Cheers (and no problem for the beer:-) )

Yves Raimond

Jul 10, 2007, 1:05:36 PM7/10/07
to music-ontology-sp...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

I just put online the John Peel data. The mapping to the music
ontology was extremely straight forward - I just had to create one new
concept to handle the transmission date (mo:Transmission, which is an
event). Otherwise, everything was already into MO!

For example:
http://dbtune.org/bbc/peel/producer/e5826379ace5151894a6456d69fd1e41
is the URI of Tony Wilson. You can access to all things produced by
him by dereferencing this uri.

Browsing with the tabulator is done at:
http://dig.csail.mit.edu/2005/ajar/ajaw/tab.html?uri=http://dbtune.org/bbc/peel/producer/e5826379ace5151894a6456d69fd1e41

There is a SPARQL end point available at http://dbtune.org:3030/sparql/
The whole RDF dump is there: http://moustaki.org/resources/rdf_dump.rdf.tar.gz

It is *not linked* to anything external right now - i will link it to
an instrument taxonomy, musicbrainz, geonames, and maybe last.fm
snippets later on.

The description of a session stands as follows:

work ----> performance (session) ---> recording ---> record, track, etc.

the performance have several sub events, representing what each
performer is playing
For example:
http://dbtune.org/bbc/peel/perf_ins/c794c6efcc2b74304f49a928aa9c7bf9

and what works have been played
For example:
http://dbtune.org/bbc/peel/perf_work/1032

I will write a more detailed post about how I did this (and I will put
online all the code), but basically it is just a small prolog script
wrapping the bbc data, which is then translated to RDF using P2R.

Cheers!

Frederick Giasson

Jul 10, 2007, 4:21:31 PM7/10/07
to music-ontology-sp...@googlegroups.com
Hi Yves,

Just two words: Good Work!

Well, it is really well defined, and it really shows all the
expressiveness power of MO. Now, I think, we can say that it can mostly
describe anything related to music.

This usecase is a really interesting one to show to producers and
publishers of musical data.

Take care,

Fred

Michael Smethurst

Jul 10, 2007, 4:25:38 PM7/10/07
to music-ontology-sp...@googlegroups.com

+2

;-)

Jul 11, 2007, 10:21:52 AM7/11/07
to music-ontology-sp...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Some of you probably noticed that there was a bug with the Zitgist RDF
Browser when you were clicking on one of these URIs in your web browser?

In fact there was a really deep issue that was only happening with a
really special pattern:

The issue was that some of Yves's resources are not typed (were not,
since he is supposed to type them now or eventually today). So, if for a
given URI there was no type resources, the Zitgist RDF Browser was
simply redirecting the user to this URI. However, the issue is raised at
that moment, since dbtune's server was re-directing the user (via 303)
to the Zitgist RDF Browser. You notice the loop? So it is why there was
a bug in the generated page.

So, atm, the bug is fixed, and a message explaining the situation is
displayed to the user, however, in a near future, I will check to handle
untyped subjects in the zitgist rdf browser.

So, as soon as Yves typed the resources, these examples will work
perfectly in the zitgist browser.

Sorry about that,

Salutations,

Fred