Re: Re: Re: Mupen64plus 1.6 on ubuntugames

Sven Eckelmann

Aug 5, 2011, 4:40:17 PM8/5/11
to Carlos Donizete, mupen...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Aug 05, 2011 at 08:14:24PM +0000, Carlos Donizete wrote:
> I apologize again for my interpretation in English.
> In "ghex" can see what "libs" and change it so that works on all
> distributions based on Debian / Ubuntu Linux.
> I'm not a programmer, but an assistant lay users in Gnu/Linux.
> If you think I'm wrong and my repository ubuntugames retreat will surely
> understand.
> I'm not here to complain about what is right or wrong, I'm just contributing
> to help novice users of Linux.

Sry, but most of the above makes little sense. So here again: Please provide
the sources to your binary packages. Otherwise you violate the GPL.

Kind regards,
Sven

signature.asc

Sven Eckelmann

Aug 5, 2011, 7:38:03 AM8/5/11
On Friday 05 August 2011 08:31:13 Carlos Donizete wrote:
> I apologize for having created this version of Mupen64. Create debian
> packages to be functional for all distributions based on Debian / Ubuntu
> Linux.
> I will remove the emulator in the repository ubuntugames. And once again
> sorry for what happened.

I didn't want that you remove it, but that you provide
information/clarification and source code.

Kind regards,
Sven

signature.asc

Sven Eckelmann

Aug 5, 2011, 2:51:01 PM8/5/11
On Fri, Aug 05, 2011 at 02:35:08PM -0300, Carlos Donizete wrote:
> Mupen64 is a binary, I do not have source code. The binary I got this link:
>
> https://launchpad.net/~fabien-beosfrance/+archive/ppa/+packages
>
> Only just modified the binary using "ghex." OK!

Ok, first thing: I talk about mupen64plus

Second thing: mupen64plus is opensource and Fabien Lusseau is a good person
which provides sources for his versions.

Third one: He is not using the Debian patches, but your binary has some very
interesting strings which seem to come from those patches.

Fourth one: You provide partially different plugins then he does... and you
have some of them in directories which are not searched by the plugin loader...
wow, this is definitely nothing he does.

Number five: Some of the paths he uses are hardcoded and quite... insane (at
least from the FHS point of view). But you seem to use patches from the Debian
package to fix it... and then installed everything in directories which should
not be used in .deb archives. Again something which he doesn't do.

Six: You really want to tell me that you implemented xdg directories using
libxdg-basedir and that you wrote the code directly with ghex? I am quite sure
that I am able to do that with a lot of time (a lot more time then you would
want to invest in such a feature)... but I personally don't think that you did
it and I would guess that everyone else thinks the same.

And the best of all... Point Seven: It is not important from which person you
got the binary, you still have to provide me the full sources for the binary
you gave me through your site. And telling me that you "modified everything
from a complete different binary with ghex" doesn't help here. Please read
section 3 of http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html for more information.

Kind regards,
Sven

signature.asc

Sven Eckelmann

Aug 5, 2011, 6:11:26 AM8/5/11
to Carlos Donizete, mupen...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I got informed [1] that you provide mupen64plus 1.6 through ubuntugames.org. I
was a little bit stunned to hear about "1.6". I think Richard never released
such a version. Can you please explain how you can package such a version
without obtaining it somewhere? When it is a fork then please tell somewhere
that this "1.6" is not mupen64plus. I know that a distribution package is
usually some kind of fork, but at least the version number format is easily
understandable and a changelog explains what was changed in comparison to
upstream.

Then you are telling [2] people that the version on Debian will be 1.5 when
you don't use ubuntugames.org and that your version is the one with plugins
(at least this is how I understand this sentence under "Installing the
Emulator"). This is also wrong --- Debian and Ubuntu provided plugins with 1.5
(except gln64 which has some license problems) and Debian sid provides a
package of mupen64plus 1.99.4.

So I downloaded the package and looked a little bit at the content.

$ wget http://archive.ubuntugames.org//dists/ubuntugames/main/binary-
i386/mupen64plus-v.1.6-2_i386.deb
$ dpkg -x mupen64plus-v.1.6-2_i386.deb mupen64plus
$ dpkg -e mupen64plus-v.1.6-2_i386.deb mupen64plus/DEBIAN

Parts of it are from the old Debian package (including some patches... at
least I can find strings in the executable which are unique and only used in
the Debian/Ubuntu packages of 1.5), but most of it just seem to be a random
compilation of other stuff. For example you distribute a rom for the famous
(and still copyrighted) game Super Mario 64 under
"usr/local/games/mupen64plus/Super Mario 64.7z". I would doubt that you are
allowed to distribute it... and thanks for tricking me to download this thing
without informing me about it.

So, I am still not able to find any information about the copyright stuff and
the source for this "mupen64plus 1.6". I think everyone will aggree that
mupen64plus is licensed under the GPL and similar licenses. So you would have
to give me the source package somewhere... but I am currently not able to find
it on the site [2] or in your repository [3]. Please tell me were I can find
it, add a written offer to your package or upload the complete sources
somewhere+inform the user about it.

Kind regards,
Sven

[1] http://code.google.com/p/mupen64plus/wiki/ControllerSetup
[2] http://www.ubuntugames.org/us/emulator/61-mupen64plus
[3] http://archive.ubuntugames.org/dists/

signature.asc

Carlos Donizete

Aug 5, 2011, 1:35:08 PM8/5/11
to Sven Eckelmann, mupen...@googlegroups.com

2011/8/5 Sven Eckelmann <sv...@narfation.org>
On Friday 05 August 2011 09:02:14 Carlos Donizete wrote:
> There is a Mario64 rom in the emulator, I just forgot to remove it when it
> created the debian package. And the source code was from own mupen64 1.9.9.4

Sry, I don't accept this answer. I saw that you used parts of the debian
patches for 1.5 and other things. So 1.99.4 would have created a different
result. Please just release the complete source code.

Kind regards,
       Sven

--
Carlos Donizete Froes [a.k.a Coringao]
Administrator the of Ubuntu Games

Blog Ubuntu Games

Sven Eckelmann

Aug 5, 2011, 8:32:44 AM8/5/11
to Carlos Donizete, mupen...@googlegroups.com
On Friday 05 August 2011 09:02:14 Carlos Donizete wrote:
> There is a Mario64 rom in the emulator, I just forgot to remove it when it
> created the debian package. And the source code was from own mupen64 1.9.9.4

Sry, I don't accept this answer. I saw that you used parts of the debian
patches for 1.5 and other things. So 1.99.4 would have created a different

result. Please just release the complete source code.

Kind regards,
Sven

signature.asc

Carlos Donizete

Aug 7, 2011, 6:49:58 AM8/7/11
to mupen64plus
Sven, I'd love to talk with you in Gtalk to better explain what you
intrepetou wrong about my bad English writing.

And all you see:

cdf...@gmail.com

Thanks.
>  signature.asc
> < 1KVisualizarFazer download

Coringao

Aug 7, 2011, 7:06:01 AM8/7/11
to mupen64plus
I sent a request to chat with me on Gtalk Sven so I can best explain
this fact. Where to see did not understand my bad English.

On 5 ago, 17:40, Sven Eckelmann <s...@narfation.org> wrote:
>  signature.asc
> < 1KVisualizarFazer download

Sven Eckelmann

Aug 7, 2011, 8:29:36 AM8/7/11
to Carlos Donizete, Coringao, mupen...@googlegroups.com
On Sunday 07 August 2011 04:06:01 Coringao wrote:
> I sent a request to chat with me on Gtalk Sven so I can best explain
> this fact. Where to see did not understand my bad English.

I did not receive any request. Feel free to join #mupen64plus on
irc.freenode.net

Kind regards,
Sven

signature.asc