mupen64plus released as N64oid for Android

notaz

Mar 8, 2011, 6:53:57 AM3/8/11
to mupen64plus
There is evidence N64oid is really mupen64plus with Ari64's recompiler
and gles2n64 video plugin:
http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?/topic/58889-n64-for-android/

Meanwhile the release has all authorship and license information
stripped, and the port author reportedly claims it's the work of his
own.

I encourage mupen64plus authors not to tolerate this and pressure
yongzh (the porter) to restore copyright and credit information and
also to release the source, taking appropriate action with Google if
he does not comply.

Marshmallow

Mar 9, 2011, 2:40:11 AM3/9/11
to mupen64plus
>installs: 10,000 - 50,000
>price: $5.99
god DAMN

William Shipley

Mar 10, 2011, 7:57:54 PM3/10/11
to mupen...@googlegroups.com
Now that's some cash. Really, the only thing he needs to do, in my mind, is give credit. Other than that, someone else could undercut him with a free release, or lower price, if they really hated seeing all that money go to him. I'd rather he released all the fixes he's been doing, so we could incorporate them.

sirri...@fascinationsoftware.com

Mar 11, 2011, 10:50:58 AM3/11/11
to mupen...@googlegroups.com
In order to be in compliance with the GPL he must offer or provide the
source code to the people to whom he distributed the binary release (ie,
those who bought the emulator on the android market). He doesn't have to
make the source available to everyone, but he must make it available to
those who bought it.

Sven Eckelmann

Mar 11, 2011, 11:19:53 AM3/11/11
to mupen...@googlegroups.com, sirri...@fascinationsoftware.com
sirri...@fascinationsoftware.com wrote:
> In order to be in compliance with the GPL he must offer or provide the
> source code to the people to whom he distributed the binary release (ie,
> those who bought the emulator on the android market). He doesn't have to
> make the source available to everyone, but he must make it available to
> those who bought it.

No, either he has to provide the source code directly with the release on the
marketplace (== distribution with source code) or a written offer to provide
the source code. In case of a written offer, he must provide the source code
to anyone who asks. So third party who received the binary from other people
(aka didn't buy it from you) must still be able to get the source code from
you in case you only provided a written offer. [1]

Kind regards,
Sven

[1] http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhatDoesWrittenOfferValid

signature.asc

Macha .

Mar 26, 2011, 4:22:22 PM3/26/11
to mupen64plus
Just pointing out that N64oid's predecessor, n64iphone is also being
sold on the Cydia store on iOS. It was GPL compliant at version 0.5.0
(also, there's your evidence that it is based on mupen64plus -
https://github.com/zodttd/n64iphone ) but has not been since he
started charging for it.

Ufa

Mar 28, 2011, 9:22:15 AM3/28/11
to mupen...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
I have successfully taken down a site that was infringing a GPL code
of the game Secret Maryo Chronicles, with the help of SFLC.
As I was one of the colaborators of the projetc, I could intermediate
the negociations and the take down notice wtith SFLC and the infriging
site.
I am not one of the copyright holders of Mupen64plus, so I cannot do
it this time.
Someone else that has helped the project could contact SFLC and
starting to negotiate with the infringing part. I can, however, try to
intermediate the contact, if anyone (who have contributed with the
project) is willing to do so.

regards,

ufa