HEADS UP: libtre in libc (only as an option though)

Adam Hoka

Sep 4, 2010, 1:07:35 PM9/4/10
Hi current users!

Maybe you remember this:
http://blog.netbsd.org/tnf/entry/efficient_wide_character_regular_expressions

Yesterday I have hooked it into the build system, so people can use
libtre as the regex engine in libc by compiling NetBSD-current
with USE_LIBTRE=yes in /etc/mk.conf.

Please test and try to hunt regressions and do benchmarks if interested!

--
NetBSD - Simplicity is prerequisite for reliability

--
Posted automagically by a mail2news gateway at muc.de e.V.
Please direct questions, flames, donations, etc. to news-...@muc.de

Hubert Feyrer

Sep 4, 2010, 5:43:19 PM9/4/10
On Sat, 4 Sep 2010, Adam Hoka wrote:
> Please test and try to hunt regressions and do benchmarks if interested!

Will all RE go through libtre then (e.g. regular grep(1) on simple ASCII
files), or does this only apply to specific character sets / locales?

- Hubert

Adam Hoka

Sep 4, 2010, 6:17:57 PM9/4/10
On Sat, 4 Sep 2010 23:43:19 +0200 (CEST)
Hubert Feyrer <hub...@feyrer.de> wrote:

> On Sat, 4 Sep 2010, Adam Hoka wrote:
> > Please test and try to hunt regressions and do benchmarks if interested!
>
> Will all RE go through libtre then (e.g. regular grep(1) on simple ASCII
> files), or does this only apply to specific character sets / locales?
>
> - Hubert

USE_LIBTRE will completely replace it in libc

--
NetBSD - Simplicity is prerequisite for reliability

Joerg Sonnenberger

Sep 5, 2010, 12:21:45 PM9/5/10
On Sat, Sep 04, 2010 at 11:43:19PM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Sep 2010, Adam Hoka wrote:
> >Please test and try to hunt regressions and do benchmarks if interested!
>
> Will all RE go through libtre then (e.g. regular grep(1) on simple
> ASCII files), or does this only apply to specific character sets /
> locales?

GNU grep doesn't use the libc regex engine. The TRE code included in
libc by Adam is only includes the single byte support for now.

Joerg