2.1.99-2.1.101 - can't login as user?

Derrik

May 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/13/98

For some strange reason, if I use 2.1.99 or newer kernels, I am unable to
login as a user. If I try to login, I get the message "<whatever shell>:
no shell: Permission denied" when I try to login. I tried a non-shadow
login binary, new libc (I'd been using 5.4.38 because of some of 5.4.44's
weirdness) and a new ld.so (trying 1.9.8, one of the betas) and it still
doesn't work. Has this already been hashed out? If so, is the cause known?
I'd like to be able to use a post-2.1.98 kernel on my machine, but I don't
know what the problem could be.

Derrik Pates
dpa...@acm.org
dpa...@james.kalifornia.com

-
the body of a message to majo...@vger.rutgers.edu

Pavel Machek

May 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/14/98

Hi!

> For some strange reason, if I use 2.1.99 or newer kernels, I am unable to
> login as a user. If I try to login, I get the message "<whatever shell>:
> no shell: Permission denied" when I try to login. I tried a non-shadow
> login binary, new libc (I'd been using 5.4.38 because of some of 5.4.44's
> weirdness) and a new ld.so (trying 1.9.8, one of the betas) and it still
> doesn't work. Has this already been hashed out? If so, is the cause known?
> I'd like to be able to use a post-2.1.98 kernel on my machine, but I don't
> know what the problem could be.

Check permissions for /lib/ld-linux.so*. This happened to me:
ld-linux.so used to have rw-r--r-- and old kernels were just
happy. New kernels did not like it.

Pavel
--
I'm really pa...@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz. Pavel
Look at http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/ ;-).

Derrik

May 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/19/98

On Thu, 14 May 1998, Pavel Machek wrote:

> Hi!

> Check permissions for /lib/ld-linux.so*. This happened to me:
> ld-linux.so used to have rw-r--r-- and old kernels were just
> happy. New kernels did not like it.

I will be damned. Set ld-linux.so.1.9.8 +x, and now I can login as a user.
Thank you. You are my GOD! :)

Derrik Pates
dpa...@kalifornia.com
dpa...@acm.org