vinum volume manager

瀏覽次數:2 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

Tomas Palfi

未讀,
2005年9月7日 上午8:25:512005/9/7
收件者:
Hi All,

I have used the following message as a template, I have exactly the same
problem with vinum, and wonder if someone knows the solution to it.

I've been trying to get a bootstrapped vinum volume up and running on a
5.4
release system (generic kernel, minimal install), based this How-to:
http://devel.reinikainen.net/docs/how-to/Vinum/
But I've managed to run into a problem that no amount of Googling,
reading
the archive of this list, or reading the manual seems help me get by.
Basically, I have Vinum configured fine and can successfully run:

vinum > create -f /etc/vinum.conf

The Vinum volume is all fine and a vinum > list shows no problems. I
can
also successfully do a fsck on each of the mounts.

However, it appears that the vinum config isn't being saved, as
rebooting
the machine can't find the vinum root partition, and after manually
booting
to the pre-vinum root (ufs:ad0s1a) running vinum > list shows no volume
information.

During the reboot, vinum appears to load ok, but it can't find the root
(as
shown by the last bit of the dmesg):

vinum: loaded
vinum: no drives found
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/vinum/root
setrootbyname failed
ffs_mountroot: can't find rootvp
Root mount failed: 6

The relevant config files look like this:

/etc/fstab

/boot/loader.conf

vinum_load="YES"
vinum.autostart="YES"

----------------------------

I know that David Kelly attempted to rectify the problem gvinum,
however, does the problem still persists with vinum?

Many thanks

Tomas

--
tp

PRIVACY & CONFIDENTIALITY

This e-mail is private and confidential. If you have, or suspect you have received this message in error please notify the sender as soon as possible and remove from your system. You may not copy, distribute or take any action in reliance on it. Thank you for your co-operation.

Please note that whilst best efforts are made, neither the company nor the sender accepts any responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility to scan the email and attachments (if any).

This e-mail has been automatically scanned for viruses by MessageLabs.

Kipp Holger

未讀,
2005年9月7日 上午8:48:042005/9/7
收件者:

Tomas Palfi wrote on Wednesday, 07.09.2005 14:25

> Hi All,
>
> I have used the following message as a template, I have exactly the same
> problem with vinum, and wonder if someone knows the solution to it.

> However, it appears that the vinum config isn't being saved, as

> rebooting the machine can't find the vinum root partition, and
> after manually booting to the pre-vinum root (ufs:ad0s1a) running
> vinum list shows no volume information.

> During the reboot, vinum appears to load ok, but it can't find
> the root (as shown by the last bit of the dmesg):

I have the same problem on 4.10 with ide-disks (3ware controller),
but without mounting root via vinum.

Anyway, you might succeed if you tell vinum the names of the
devices it should use in /boot/loader.conf, eg. with:

vinum.drives="/dev/twed1 /dev/twed2 /dev/twed3 /dev/twed4"

there is also a vinum command 'read' which will read the configuration
from the drive(s) specified. Please note that if you do not specify
all drives in one command, vinum will not find the other drives and
complain about missing drives, marking the relevant volumes as
degraded or worse.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Holger Kipp