xfce 4.8 upgrade errors

Mark Felder

Mar 6, 2011, 3:53:34 PM3/6/11
> How do I create a app menu, I'm getting an error when trying to load the
> menu "menus/applications.menu"
> not found.

Recompile sysutils/garcon to resolve this error.

I hope this helps someone else...

Regards,

Mark

Posted automagically by a mail2news gateway at muc.de e.V.
Please direct questions, flames, donations, etc. to news-...@muc.de

Pavel Timofeev

Mar 9, 2011, 8:55:21 AM3/9/11

Mark Felder-4 wrote:

>> How do I create a app menu, I'm getting an error when trying to load the
>> menu "menus/applications.menu"
>> not found.
>
> Recompile sysutils/garcon to resolve this error.
>
> I hope this helps someone else...
>

> Regards,
>

> Mark

Does not help in my case =(
fresh ports, fresh xfce4 install.

Martin Wilke

Mar 9, 2011, 8:56:17 AM3/9/11
please recompile again and restart it should really work.

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 9:55 PM, Pavel Timofeev <tim...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mark Felder-4 wrote:
> >
> >> How do I create a app menu, I'm getting an error when trying to load the
> >> menu "menus/applications.menu"
> >> not found.
> >
> > Recompile sysutils/garcon to resolve this error.
> >
> > I hope this helps someone else...
> >

> > Regards,
> >

> > Mark
> >

> Does not help in my case =(
> fresh ports, fresh xfce4 install.

Pavel Timofeev

Mar 10, 2011, 7:53:56 AM3/10/11
> Martin Wilke:

> please recompile again and restart it should really work.

Hmm, may be I do something wrong, but it doesn`t work.

By the way, new xfce4 from fresh ports looks very bad.
After fresh install it told me 'Welcome to the first start of the panel' and
I chose 'Use default config'.
And now I see that (look at screenshots):

Screenshot #1
http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/5904/mox87.0/0_62e05_925ad7d7_orig
1st, 2nd and 3rd icons/areas - is it normal location? I just added a plugin
to 3rd area. Before that it looked like 2nd. 4th area - don`t see icons.
Looks bad. Is it normal? Maybe I pick, I don`t know.

Screenshots #2 and #3
http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/6005/mox87.0/0_62e06_a32b7ba5_orig
http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/5605/mox87.0/0_62e07_2c163ded_orig
missing icons.

Also opera crashes my system when I use it in xfce4. It permanently hangs,
no messages in logs and no response from system. If I launch opera in clean
Xorg (twm?) it works very good.

Sorry for my english and bad fotos. I just want to help. I use FreeBSD 8.2
RELEASE, fresh ports, last opera-11.01, last xfce4.8 from ports,
xf86-video-ati-6.14.0_1.
Do you need any additional info from me?

Warren Block

Mar 10, 2011, 9:59:47 AM3/10/11
On Thu, 10 Mar 2011, Pavel Timofeev wrote:

> By the way, new xfce4 from fresh ports looks very bad.
> After fresh install it told me 'Welcome to the first start of the panel' and
> I chose 'Use default config'.
> And now I see that (look at screenshots):
>
> Screenshot #1
> http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/5904/mox87.0/0_62e05_925ad7d7_orig

Update your ports tree with portsnap or csup, then
build/deinstall/install the sysutils/xfce4-utils port. Should have
xfce4-utils-4.8.1_1 when done.

Pavel Timofeev

Mar 10, 2011, 10:05:56 AM3/10/11
Of course I did it the first thing =)
I have lastest ports.
#portsnap fecth update && portmaster -ad

# pkg_info | grep xfce4-utils
xfce4-utils-4.8.1_1 XFce 4 essential utilities and scripts

2011/3/10 Warren Block <wbl...@wonkity.com>

> On Thu, 10 Mar 2011, Pavel Timofeev wrote:
>
> By the way, new xfce4 from fresh ports looks very bad.
>> After fresh install it told me 'Welcome to the first start of the panel'
>> and
>> I chose 'Use default config'.
>> And now I see that (look at screenshots):
>>
>> Screenshot #1
>> http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/5904/mox87.0/0_62e05_925ad7d7_orig
>>

> Update your ports tree with portsnap or csup, then build/deinstall/install
> the sysutils/xfce4-utils port. Should have xfce4-utils-4.8.1_1 when done.

Mark Felder

Mar 10, 2011, 11:53:31 AM3/10/11
On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 06:53:56 -0600, Pavel Timofeev <tim...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Also opera crashes my system when I use it in xfce4. It permanently
> hangs,
> no messages in logs and no response from system. If I launch opera in
> clean
> Xorg (twm?) it works very good.

I also run Opera but I was getting hangs on any browser if there was flash
playing. I haven't had the hang without flash so far. I'll report back if
that changes.

Regards,

Mark

Pavel Timofeev

Mar 11, 2011, 3:59:17 AM3/11/11
Please, don`t be silent.

How to repeat if you use xfce 4.8:
0. logout from your Xfce and go to console
1. make backup of config
$ cp -r .config config_
2. delete configs
$ rm -rf .config
3. login to your xfce
Xfce will say you 'Welcome to the first start of the panel'. Choose 'Use
default config'.
And you will see my screenshot =) if you use default gtk and icons theme for
xfce. And 'Applications menu' will not work.

Bring it back:
0. logout from your Xfce and go to console
1. delete configs
$ rm -rf .config
2. bring back configs
$ cp -r config_ .config
3. check permissiong for .config folder
$ chown -R username:usergroup /usr/home/username/.config
4. reboot.

Pavel Timofeev

Mar 11, 2011, 6:05:35 AM3/11/11
When I use XDM
$ grep ttyv8 /etc/ttys
ttyv8 "/usr/local/bin/xdm -nodaemon" xterm on secure
$ cat .xsession
exec /usr/local/bin/xfce4-session
and 'Applications menu' doesn`t work

If I use `startx` command instead of xdm
$ grep ttyv8 /etc/ttys
ttyv8 "/usr/local/bin/xdm -nodaemon" xterm off secure
And add following (find with google) line to .xinitrc
$ cat .xinitrc
ck-launch-session startxfce4
'Applications menu' works good

2011/3/9 Martin Wilke <mi...@freebsd.org>

> please recompile again and restart it should really work.

>> the
>> >
>> > Recompile sysutils/garcon to resolve this error.
>> >
>> > I hope this helps someone else...
>> >

>> > Regards,
>> >

>> > Mark
>> "
>> >

>> Does not help in my case =(
>> fresh ports, fresh xfce4 install.

Pavel Timofeev

Mar 11, 2011, 6:54:30 AM3/11/11
I`m very sorry for your time!
I changed .xsession to
$ cat .xsession
/usr/local/bin/startxfce4

And now I see icons, menu works and all fine!

But opera still hangs. I think it`s my inaccuracy.
Big thanks to all, and big sorry for your time =(

2011/3/11 Pavel Timofeev <tim...@gmail.com>

Olivier Duchateau

Mar 11, 2011, 7:01:21 AM3/11/11
2011/3/11 Pavel Timofeev <tim...@gmail.com>:

> When I use XDM
> $ grep ttyv8 /etc/ttys
> ttyv8   "/usr/local/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   on secure
> $ cat .xsession
> exec /usr/local/bin/xfce4-session
> and 'Applications menu' doesn`t work
>
> If I use `startx` command instead of xdm
> $ grep ttyv8 /etc/ttys
> ttyv8   "/usr/local/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   off secure
> And add following (find with google) line to .xinitrc
> $ cat .xinitrc
> ck-launch-session startxfce4
> 'Applications menu' works good

It's known bug Xdm and ConsoleKit. With Xdm and Xfce you don't need to
add ck-launch-session in your ~/.xinitrc.

When you install x11-wm/xfce4-session, consolekit, polkit, upower are
enabled (if there are installed).

Excerpt of configure script:
[...]
--disable-hal Do not enable HAL (default=enabled)
--disable-upower Do not enable Upower support (formely
devicekit-power) (default=enabled)
--disable-consolekit Do not enable ConsoleKit (default=enabled)
--disable-polkit Do not enable PolicyKit support (default=enabled)
[...]

I don't know, why you don't use Xfce's xinitrc, it works fine with Xdm
(I use it). You should also add symbolic link between ~/.xinitrc and
~/.xsession.

I use sysutils/polkit (not sysutils/policykit which is replaced by
polkit, and any more /usr/local/etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf) for
logout / disconnect session and everything works fine.

--
olivier

Pavel Timofeev

Mar 11, 2011, 7:41:48 AM3/11/11
> Olivier Duchateau <duchatea...@gmail.com>

> It's known bug Xdm and ConsoleKit. With Xdm and Xfce you don't need to
> add ck-launch-session in your ~/.xinitrc.
> I don't know, why you don't use Xfce's xinitrc, it works fine with Xdm
> (I use it). You should also add symbolic link between ~/.xinitrc and
> ~/.xsession.

Thank you very much, Oviler, and sorry for your time!
But I`ve already figured out my problem.
I just added '/usr/local/bin/startxfce4' to .xsession
and then I made link from .xsession to .xinitrc (to act on your advice)
All works fine: I see icons and menu.
Really sorry for your time.

I still have one last problem (opera crashes system in xfce), but I think
I'll deal with it myself. Maybe it's again my inaccuracy or carelessness.

> Excerpt of configure script:
> [...]
> --disable-hal Do not enable HAL (default=enabled)
> --disable-upower Do not enable Upower support (formely
> devicekit-power) (default=enabled)
> --disable-consolekit Do not enable ConsoleKit (default=enabled)
> --disable-polkit Do not enable PolicyKit support (default=enabled)
> [...]

> I use sysutils/polkit (not sysutils/policykit which is replaced by
> polkit, and any more /usr/local/etc/PolicyKit/
> PolicyKit.conf) for
> logout / disconnect session and everything works fine.

I have porridge in my head from all this things=)
Various *kit and u* makes me cry)
And now I don`t know how to properly configure xfce on freebsd.

timp

Mar 17, 2011, 9:23:22 AM3/17/11
Oliver, can you provide information or give link about correct polkit
configuring?

Olivier Duchateau

Mar 17, 2011, 1:39:28 PM3/17/11
- First, check if sysutils/polkit and sysutils/consolekit installed.

- In console run this command: pkaction (with your own user, you
should get something like that):
% pkaction
org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.restart
org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.restart-multiple-users
org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.stop
org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.stop-multiple-users
org.freedesktop.policykit.exec
org.freedesktop.policykit.lockdown
org.freedesktop.upower.hibernate
org.freedesktop.upower.qos.cancel-request
org.freedesktop.upower.qos.request-latency
org.freedesktop.upower.qos.request-latency-persistent
org.freedesktop.upower.qos.set-minimum-latency
org.freedesktop.upower.suspend
org.gnome.gconf.defaults.set-mandatory
org.gnome.gconf.defaults.set-system

Then, in root create file called (for exemple)
'org.freedesktop.consolekit.pkla' in
/usr/local/etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/ directory:

% cat /usr/local/etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/org.freedesktop.consolekit.pkla
[Restart]
Identity=unix-group:users
Action=org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.restart
ResultAny=yes
ResultInactive=yes
ResultActive=yes

[Shutdown]
Identity=unix-group:users
Action=org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.stop
ResultAny=yes
ResultInactive=yes
ResultActive=yes

You should replace 'users' by your main group (mine called users), or
by Identity=unix-user: your_user

Links:
http://hal.freedesktop.org/docs/polkit/
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xfce#Reboot.2FShutdown

2011/3/17 timp <tim...@gmail.com>:

> Oliver, can you provide information or give link about correct polkit
> configuring?
>

> --

olivier

timp

Mar 22, 2011, 10:39:03 AM3/22/11
Thank very much!
As I see ArchLinux has very good documentation.
And what about access to smb shares via thunar?

timp

Apr 13, 2011, 8:50:23 AM4/13/11
I still have problems with opera in xfce4.
xfce-4.8 + xf86-video-ati-6.14.1_1 + some apps = system permanently hungs.

Also crashes occurs with following apps: xfce4-taskmanager, remmina, opera,
etc.
If I use xfce4 and xf86-video-vesa-2.3.0_1 driver instead of
xf86-video-ati-6.14.1_1 everything works good. Or if I run this apps in
gnome2 or twm (with ati driver) it works fine too.
I checked my hdd with MHDD program. No errors.
RAM checked too with succesful result (129 passes in memtest+).

These applications are united only by the fact that they work with the
network.
Any ideas?

Pavel Timofeev

Apr 14, 2011, 7:33:03 AM4/14/11
Thank you, Olivier for your reply!

> Can you post your .xsession-errors ? Or better /var/log/Xorg.0.log
No, I can't. System hangs and then I can only reboot system by pressing
button on computer case.
Of course I can`t see any error messages anywhere. And I even doesn't have
.xsession-errors file.

> Have you read, Martin Wilke's post [1] ?
Yes, I have read miwi's post. Doesn't help.
And I tried Xorg 1.9.5 (
http://freebsd.1045724.n5.nabble.com/ECFT-drm-dri-mesa-xorg-server-update-Part-1-td3867580.html
).
Any much more =( Nothing helps.

I just understood the problem!
It dawned upon me! All these apps are united by the fact that they have
icons (when they running) at notification area on xfce4-panel.
Problem with xfce4-panel! I checked it.

If I make
$ rm -rf .config
and then logon to xfce4 it tell me 'Welcome to the first start of the panel'
and I choose 'Use default config'.
Now all works very good,
But if I make logout and then relogon to xfce4 again opera and some apps
hangs system.

Ok. Reboot system. Logon to xfce4 and first thing remove 'notification area'
from xfce4-panel. And now all works fine!
Problem in xfce4-panel.

Sorry for poor english, it is foreign for me. Do you understand me?

2011/4/13 Olivier Duchateau <duchatea...@gmail.com>

> Can you post your .xsession-errors ? Or better /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>
> Have you read, Martin Wilke's post [1] ?
>
> [1] http://miwi.bsdcrew.de/2011/02/cft-xorg-7-5-miwi1-freebsd-edition/
>
> 2011/4/13 timp <tim...@gmail.com>:

> > I still have problems with opera in xfce4.
> > xfce-4.8 + xf86-video-ati-6.14.1_1 + some apps = system permanently
> hungs.
> >
> > Also crashes occurs with following apps: xfce4-taskmanager, remmina,
> opera,
> > etc.
> > If I use xfce4 and xf86-video-vesa-2.3.0_1 driver instead of
> > xf86-video-ati-6.14.1_1 everything works good. Or if I run this apps in
> > gnome2 or twm (with ati driver) it works fine too.
> > I checked my hdd with MHDD program. No errors.
> > RAM checked too with succesful result (129 passes in memtest+).
> >
> > These applications are united only by the fact that they work with the
> > network.
> > Any ideas?
> >

> > --

> --

> olivier

Warren Block

Apr 14, 2011, 5:00:05 PM4/14/11
On Thu, 14 Apr 2011, Pavel Timofeev wrote:

> I just understood the problem!
> It dawned upon me! All these apps are united by the fact that they have
> icons (when they running) at notification area on xfce4-panel.
> Problem with xfce4-panel! I checked it.
>
> If I make
> $ rm -rf .config
> and then logon to xfce4 it tell me 'Welcome to the first start of the panel'
> and I choose 'Use default config'.
> Now all works very good,
> But if I make logout and then relogon to xfce4 again opera and some apps
> hangs system.
>
> Ok. Reboot system. Logon to xfce4 and first thing remove 'notification area'
> from xfce4-panel. And now all works fine!
> Problem in xfce4-panel.

There was a new release of xfce4-panel a few days ago:
http://foo-projects.org/pipermail/xfce/2011-April/028514.html

Also a new version of garcon:
http://foo-projects.org/pipermail/xfce/2011-April/028513.html

Olivier Duchateau

Apr 15, 2011, 4:00:04 AM4/15/11
2011/4/14 Warren Block <wbl...@wonkity.com>:

> On Thu, 14 Apr 2011, Pavel Timofeev wrote:
>
>> I just understood the problem!
>> It dawned upon me! All these apps are united by the fact that they have
>> icons (when they running) at notification area on xfce4-panel.
>> Problem with xfce4-panel! I checked it.
>>
>> If I make
>> $ rm -rf .config
>> and then logon to xfce4 it tell me 'Welcome to the first start of the
>> panel'
>> and I choose  'Use default config'.
>> Now all works very good,
>> But if I make logout and then relogon to xfce4 again opera and some apps
>> hangs system.
>>
>> Ok. Reboot system. Logon to xfce4 and first thing remove 'notification
>> area'
>> from xfce4-panel. And now all works fine!
>> Problem in xfce4-panel.
>
> There was a new release of xfce4-panel a few days ago:
> http://foo-projects.org/pipermail/xfce/2011-April/028514.html

I've send PR, http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=156231

We must wait for upgrade made by maintainer, but you can use patches.

Pavel, are you able to run your xfce session with startx command ?

1. In /etc/ttys (line beginning by ttyv8), replace 'on' by 'off',
reboot your computer.
2. if in your $HOME directory, .xinitrc (or .xsession) file doesn't
exist, copy it from /usr/local/etc/xdg/xfce4/.
3. create also .xsession (ln -sf ~/.xinitrc ~/.xsession)
4. finally, run 'startx' command, a file called .xsession-errors will appear

Look at warning and errors.

--
olivier

Pavel Timofeev

Apr 15, 2011, 5:51:41 AM4/15/11
> We must wait for upgrade made by maintainer, but you can use patches.

Yes, I tried ports/156231 and ports/156230. Nothing changed. And tried

> Pavel, are you able to run your xfce session with startx command?
> 1. In /etc/ttys (line beginning by ttyv8), replace 'on' by 'off',
> reboot your computer.

I use slim and rc.conf. Ok, slim_enable="YES" was commented in /etc/rc.conf

> 2. if in your $HOME directory, .xinitrc (or .xsession) file doesn't
> exist, copy it from /usr/local/etc/xdg/xfce4/.
> 3. create also .xsession (ln -sf ~/.xinitrc ~/.xsession)

Copied and created. (Before I had .xinitrc and it contained
/usr/local/bin/startxfce4, and I had .xsession which used as link to
.xinitrc. Made by your advice.)

> 4. finally, run 'startx' command, a file called .xsession-errors will
appear

Done. But no .xsession-errors file =(
And system hangs as before when I want to run opera and other problem apps.

About miwi`s post:
I noticed that adding line 'Option "BusType" "PCIE"' to xorg.conf in the
'Section "Device"' makes something strange.
At first Xorg start I see black screen (no errors in Xorg.log.0), but after
restart it works good, and hangs don't occur.
Is it normal? My card is 'ATI Technologies Inc RV350 AQ [Radeon 9600] rev 0'
and it is AGP card.
Changing BusType to AGP or PCI doesn`t bring anything good: system hangs.

Olivier Duchateau

Apr 15, 2011, 7:26:23 AM4/15/11
I have also an ATI graphics card (below excerpt from dmesg).

[...]
drm0: <ATI Radeon XPRESS 200M 5955> on vgapci0
vgapci0: child drm0 requested pci_enable_busmaster
info: [drm] Initialized radeon 1.31.0 20080613
info: [drm] Setting GART location based on new memory map
info: [drm] Loading R300 Microcode
info: [drm] Num pipes: 2
info: [drm] writeback test succeeded in 1 usecs

In my /etc/X11/xorg.conf, in section Device:
Section "Device"
Option "int10" "on"
Option "BusType" "PCIE"
Option "RenderAccel" "on"
Option "AccelMethod" "exa"
Option "DRI" "on"
Option "DynamicPM" "on"
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "radeon"
VendorName "ATI Technologies Inc"
BoardName "Radeon XPRESS 200M 5955 (PCIE)"
BusID "PCI:1:5:0"
EndSection

I used Xfce 4.8 (during development stages) with FreeBSD 8.1 and older
version of X.org, and I didn't notice particular.

2011/4/15 Pavel Timofeev <tim...@gmail.com>:

Pavel Timofeev

Apr 15, 2011, 7:40:44 AM4/15/11
When I used xfce-4.6 I didn`t have problems.
Maybe it hardware error in my video card.
I think removing notification area looks not bad for me.

Anyway, big thanks to all.

2011/4/15 Olivier Duchateau <duchatea...@gmail.com>

Pavel Timofeev

Apr 15, 2011, 8:36:33 AM4/15/11
Apr 15, 2011, 8:46:00 AM4/15/11
Last_message_2.0 =)
Works good with old AccelMethod "XAA" (instead of exa)!
In xorg.conf I have
Option "RenderAccel" "on" (yes, "on"!)
Option "AccelMethod" "XAA"

2011/4/15 Olivier Duchateau <duchatea...@gmail.com>

Warren Block

Apr 15, 2011, 10:16:10 AM4/15/11
On Fri, 15 Apr 2011, Pavel Timofeev wrote:

> I noticed that adding line 'Option "BusType" "PCIE"' to xorg.conf in the
> 'Section "Device"' makes something strange.
> At first Xorg start I see black screen (no errors in Xorg.log.0), but after
> restart it works good, and hangs don't occur.
> Is it normal? My card is 'ATI Technologies Inc RV350 AQ [Radeon 9600] rev 0'
> and it is AGP card.
> Changing BusType to AGP or PCI doesn`t bring anything good: system hangs.

Setting BusType to something other than the card's real bus type could
cause problems. X should be able to figure it out if BusType isn't
specified.

Pavel Timofeev

Apr 15, 2011, 10:43:27 AM4/15/11
Thanks. I have deleted this line.

Pavel Timofeev

Apr 30, 2011, 4:10:00 AM4/30/11
I just found this http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=156721
Maybe it helps me. I'll try it soon

2011/4/15 Pavel Timofeev <tim...@gmail.com>:

> Thanks. I have deleted this line.

Pavel Timofeev

May 3, 2011, 3:02:55 AM5/3/11
No, it doesn't help =(

Pavel Timofeev

Aug 4, 2011, 7:10:57 AM8/4/11
Finally, the bug is gone with latest xorg-server (1.10.3,1) from trillian's
svn (svn co https://trillian.chruetertee.ch/svn/ports/branches/xorg-dev).