MFC of "Unbreak Promise SATAII/150 controllers" ?

1 view

Thierry Herbelot

Feb 19, 2006, 4:05:24 AM2/19/06
Hello,

My main server runs Releng-6 and has SATA disks driven by a Promise SATA
controller.

Recent releng-6 kernels (6.1-Beta) lose access to the disks with messages
like :
ad10: req=0xc2771e10 SETFEATURES SET TRANSFER MODE semaphore timeout !! DANGER
Will Robinson !!
(the disks themselves are new and have been checked recently : they have been
converted to a g_mirror setup).

After searching in cvs archives, I have found this commit for -Current :
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/cvs-src/2006-February/059647.html

Modified files:
sys/dev/ata ata-all.c ata-all.h ata-chipset.c
Log:
Unbreak Promise SATAII/150 controllers caused by the DMA dump changes.

a quick check with a recent (yesterday's) -current kernel (running in the
place of releng_6) seems to show that -current is fixed (at least a 'ls
-lR /big_part' runs as expected).

Is there any plan to MFC this commit ?

Cheers

TfH

Søren Schmidt

Feb 19, 2006, 7:19:14 AM2/19/06
Thierry Herbelot wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My main server runs Releng-6 and has SATA disks driven by a Promise SATA
> controller.
>
> Recent releng-6 kernels (6.1-Beta) lose access to the disks with messages
> like :
> ad10: req=0xc2771e10 SETFEATURES SET TRANSFER MODE semaphore timeout !! DANGER
> Will Robinson !!
> (the disks themselves are new and have been checked recently : they have been
> converted to a g_mirror setup).
>
> After searching in cvs archives, I have found this commit for -Current :
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/cvs-src/2006-February/059647.html
>
> Modified files:
> sys/dev/ata ata-all.c ata-all.h ata-chipset.c
> Log:
> Unbreak Promise SATAII/150 controllers caused by the DMA dump changes.
>
> a quick check with a recent (yesterday's) -current kernel (running in the
> place of releng_6) seems to show that -current is fixed (at least a 'ls
> -lR /big_part' runs as expected).
>
> Is there any plan to MFC this commit ?

Yes, and I got ready for it just as the announce of BETA2 builds hit
developers. It'll get in as soon as I have a spare minute to catch up as
there now a a few more things to MFC...

-Søren

Thierry Herbelot

Feb 19, 2006, 7:54:00 AM2/19/06
Le Sunday 19 February 2006 13:19, Søren Schmidt a écrit :

> > Modified files:
> > sys/dev/ata ata-all.c ata-all.h ata-chipset.c
> > Log:
> > Unbreak Promise SATAII/150 controllers caused by the DMA dump changes.
> >
> > a quick check with a recent (yesterday's) -current kernel (running in the
> > place of releng_6) seems to show that -current is fixed (at least a 'ls
> > -lR /big_part' runs as expected).
> >
> > Is there any plan to MFC this commit ?
>
> Yes, and I got ready for it just as the announce of BETA2 builds hit
> developers. It'll get in as soon as I have a spare minute to catch up as
> there now a a few more things to MFC...

fine : I'll be one of the first to test the patch ;-)

TfH

Søren Schmidt

Feb 19, 2006, 10:21:12 AM2/19/06
Thierry Herbelot wrote:
> Le Sunday 19 February 2006 13:19, Søren Schmidt a écrit :
>

>>> Modified files:
>>> sys/dev/ata ata-all.c ata-all.h ata-chipset.c
>>> Log:
>>> Unbreak Promise SATAII/150 controllers caused by the DMA dump changes.
>>>
>>> a quick check with a recent (yesterday's) -current kernel (running in the
>>> place of releng_6) seems to show that -current is fixed (at least a 'ls
>>> -lR /big_part' runs as expected).
>>>
>>> Is there any plan to MFC this commit ?
>>>
>> Yes, and I got ready for it just as the announce of BETA2 builds hit
>> developers. It'll get in as soon as I have a spare minute to catch up as
>> there now a a few more things to MFC...
>>

> fine : I'll be one of the first to test the patch ;-)

Its just been committed, so have a go at it...

-Søren

Thierry Herbelot

Feb 19, 2006, 3:12:00 PM2/19/06
Le Sunday 19 February 2006 16:21, Søren Schmidt a écrit :

> > fine : I'll be one of the first to test the patch ;-)
>
> Its just been committed, so have a go at it...

the code is running OK : thanks for the MFC

TfH

Posted automagically by a mail2news gateway at muc.de e.V.
Please direct questions, flames, donations, etc. to news-...@muc.de