apt-get upgrading packages of same version

CaT

Apr 19, 2001, 1:23:44 AM4/19/01
Because I have mysql dealing with a db whose files are >2gig I've
installed linux 2.4.2 on the box and recompiled glibc for it (before
compiling mysql). This is to make sure tha tmysql would have as
happier an environment as possible for 64bit file sizes.

The glibc compile was done with apt-get -b source libc6
and then I did dpkg --install libc6 libc6-dev libc6-dec (or words
to that effect ;)

Now the time has come that a new glibc is out there and so I did the same
deal.

apt-get -b source libc6
dpkg --install libc6_2.1.3-18_i386.deb libc6-dev_2.1.3-18_i386.deb locales_2.1.3-18_i386.deb
dpkg --install glibc-doc_2.1.3-18_all.deb

All's well so far.

Then I do my apt-get dist-upgrade hoping that the rest of the utilities
will be uploaded nicely and glibc will (obviously) be left alone as the
version installed is the same as that it would want to d/l but...

[15:14:04] root@issues:/data/work>> apt-get -u dist-upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Calculating Upgrade... Done
The following packages will be upgraded
fileutils glibc-doc gzip libc6 libc6-dev libmysqlclient6 locales tar
8 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 9573kB of archives. After unpacking 7570kB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n

It still wants to download and install em. :/ Why is it so?

--
CaT (c...@zip.com.au) *** Jenna has joined the channel.
<cat> speaking of mental giants..

Nate Amsden

Apr 19, 2001, 1:13:40 PM4/19/01
CaT wrote:

> Because I have mysql dealing with a db whose files are >2gig I've

> apt-get -b source libc6

> dpkg --install libc6_2.1.3-18_i386.deb libc6-dev_2.1.3-18_i386.deb locales_2.1.3-18_i386.deb
> dpkg --install glibc-doc_2.1.3-18_all.deb

[..]

> It still wants to download and install em. :/ Why is it so?

you trying to upgrade to woody? if your sources.list is still using potato
sources
then i'd reccomend putting the libc packages u installed manually on hold and
see
if that works(see the archives for how to do this i dont remember). if your
trying to upgrade to woody then it will try to upgrade because woody's
libc6 is newer. i saw something else in the mailing list a couple days ago
another guy had a similar problem, someone mentioned that because the md5sums
dont match apt-get tries to get ones that match whats in the packages file.
but if the VERSION is the same, then putting libc6(and friends) on hold
should work ....

nate

--
:::
ICQ: 75132336

CaT

Apr 19, 2001, 8:07:41 PM4/19/01
On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 09:48:42AM -0700, Nate Amsden wrote:
> CaT wrote:
> >
> > Because I have mysql dealing with a db whose files are >2gig I've
>
> > apt-get -b source libc6
> > dpkg --install libc6_2.1.3-18_i386.deb libc6-dev_2.1.3-18_i386.deb locales_2.1.3-18_i386.deb
> > dpkg --install glibc-doc_2.1.3-18_all.deb
> [..]
> > It still wants to download and install em. :/ Why is it so?
>
> you trying to upgrade to woody? if your sources.list is still using potato

Nope.

> sources then i'd reccomend putting the libc packages u installed
> manually on hold and see if that works(see the archives for how to do

I'll try that. See how it goes.

> someone mentioned that because the md5sums dont match apt-get tries
> to get ones that match whats in the packages file. but if the VERSION

ahh...

> is the same, then putting libc6(and friends) on hold should work ....

Okie.

--
CaT (c...@zip.com.au) *** Jenna has joined the channel.
<cat> speaking of mental giants..
<Jenna> me, a giant, bullshit
<Jenna> And i'm not mental
- An IRC session, 20/12/2000

Colin Watson

Apr 20, 2001, 6:07:05 AM4/20/01
CaT <c...@zip.com.au> wrote:
>Then I do my apt-get dist-upgrade hoping that the rest of the utilities
>will be uploaded nicely and glibc will (obviously) be left alone as the
>version installed is the same as that it would want to d/l but...

If you recompile a package yourself, increment the version number (by
adding an entry to the top of debian/changelog) by 0.0.1. That way even
binary-only recompiles in the archive will get to you, but your own
changes will be preserved if the version number in the archive stays the
same.

--
Colin Watson [cj...@flatline.org.uk]