How are you coping?

Emilio

Apr 4, 2020, 7:44:09 PM4/4/20
to Mountain High Snowsport Club
Hi fellow Mountain High folks!

How is everyone coping with the current Corona virus pandemic and the "stay-at-home" orders?   Are you stressed out?  Or are you enjoying saving the world by lounging on your couch watching TV?

What is your biggest challenge?  What is driving you crazy?

Any advice on how best to pass the time?  Reading a book (which one)?  Watching TV (which programs)?  Gardening?  Social media?  Or ...?

Gary Patton

Apr 4, 2020, 7:56:17 PM4/4/20
to mth...@googlegroups.com

ZOOM "happy hours" are a great way to stay connected with friends and family during this time.

Regards, Gary Patton

John A Davis

Apr 5, 2020, 3:15:36 AM4/5/20
to Mountain High Snowsport Club
Today my daughter who came up from San Francisco and I hiked up to Pittcock Mansion from where we parked on NW 25th & Johnson. All residential streets with no one on them and if we ran into anyone we just crossed over to the other side.
Ended up arriving at Pittock on the back entrance that is closed to cars with a gate.
Sat on the lawn and looked out at NW portland and beyond.

Came down Forest Park trail that leaves from west end of parking lot.

A few people, all keeping their distance. My daughter and I kept our 6 feet apart.

The Mazamas do hikes like this every Tuesday and Thursday. 6 miles 2 hours they call them Street Rambles. They leave from REI.
Not happening right now I don't think.

Lots of options where you don't get very near anybody. When someone came by in Forest Park  we just walked off the trail until they passed. Was a great refreshing time.

At home since I am a loner anyway I have lots of projects. Dancing websites, play my new guitar, put music to some songs my Costa Rican friend wrote the words too, clean up and organize my house (that will take longer than any virus vaccine to show up haha).

Saw many spandex mafiosos riding up to Pittcock on their road rockets.

Emilio

Apr 5, 2020, 4:37:15 PM4/5/20
to Mountain High Snowsport Club
Interesting ideas so far, including hiking along deserted streets and parks as well as engaging online in ZOOM "happy hours".

I spend more time with my dog.  He doesn't care about social distancing.  In fact, when I move from one room to another, he keeps following me.  A very social creature!

What else are people doing?  What other ideas do you have?  Let's share.

Linda or Bruce McGavin

Apr 5, 2020, 7:49:22 PM4/5/20
to mth...@googlegroups.com
Bruce and I are trying to go for neighborhood walks when the weather is nice, or at times when we are certain it won't rain, have been going for long bike rides along the Trolley Trail, I-205 path, and the Springwater Corridor.

It is also a good time to go through years worth of paper clutter ... I wonder if a shredding company is an essential business?

Linda McGavin

Michael Barmache

Apr 5, 2020, 8:19:32 PM4/5/20
to mth...@googlegroups.com
White Pass has not imposed any restrictions on uphill climbing unlike all the areas down on Hood. I climbed 1500 feet up the main face which with some rest stops took about 90 min and skied down thru fresh pow. There were other people there too but not a lot. Maybe saw about 10 people there thru the afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone

John A Davis

Apr 5, 2020, 8:36:09 PM4/5/20
to Mountain High Snowsport Club
I just hiked St Clouds Overlook trail on Washington side. Not closed, not State Park etc. You could hike that area 7 days in a row and never see anyone and never take the same trail.

Michele Gunness

Apr 5, 2020, 10:42:38 PM4/5/20
to mth...@googlegroups.com
After I returned from my ski trip to Austria and Italy with the Oregon Nordic Club March 6th, I was quarantined from work. After I was cleared, my office went into mandatory telework from home. Tomorrow will be the start of week 5 of working from home for me. My cat is very happy to have me home.
Michele

On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 5:36 PM John A Davis <hike...@gmail.com> wrote:
I just hiked St Clouds Overlook trail on Washington side. Not closed, not State Park etc. You could hike that area 7 days in a row and never see anyone and never take the same trail.

Kurt Krueger

Apr 6, 2020, 9:58:35 AM4/6/20
to mth...@googlegroups.com
So far the paper clutter has been winning for Chris and me.  Spent a day or so getting my piano music put away.  When I was done, I filled a 2 foot shelf with stuff that was laying around.  Now maybe I can find things.

Next step is the basement.  One of our new cats decided he liked foam pipe wrap.  Managed to chew up most of what I had put on the exposed hot water pipes.  And then started to work on the heat pump refrigerant lines.  Got to box those in.

Cat is very crafty and persistent.  We'd block his access and within a few days, he'd find another way.

Time to mow the lawn (for the 4th time this year) and trim the forsythia now that it's finished blooming.

Jackie Bonillo

Apr 6, 2020, 10:30:59 AM4/6/20
to mth...@googlegroups.com
Your cat is missing  some essential nutrients possibly. Check with vet

Sent from my iPhone

Emilio Trampuz

Apr 6, 2020, 8:45:41 PM4/6/20
to mth...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to everyone who has responded to this question.  I hope you folks don't mind if we quote some parts of what you wrote in the next issue of Lift Lines.

Meanwhile, let's keep the conversation going here in the Forum.