Bus Company GTFS data problems

ethan a

Sep 30, 2010, 4:51:07 PM9/30/10
to mtadeveloperresources
Hi,

I'm trying to use the "Bus Company" GTFS data but the routes.txt file
is corrupt and lacking data.

The first 2 rows show all the problems:

route_id, route_short_name, route_long_name, route_desc, route_type
742, , B100, null, 3

First row:
- missing "agency_id" (2nd parameter), it should be:
route_id, agency_id, route_short_name,
route_long_name, route_desc, route_type

The second and all subsequent rows:
- has a field for agency_id, but it is blank.
- route_long_name says "null" for all routes
- the route_desc column is missing entirely (no comma)

Are you planning to correct this file?

Thanks!
-ethan

David Turner

Sep 30, 2010, 4:57:24 PM9/30/10
to mtadevelop...@googlegroups.com
The file is not GTFS. I believe it comes with a PDF explaining what it
is and how to use it, but if not, please check the archives of this
list.

I half wrote a converter to GTFS but got distracted; I am looking for
someone who has some time to finish it off:
http://github.com/novalis/ImproveMtaGtfs

David Turner

Oct 13, 2010, 6:19:09 PM10/13/10
to mtadevelop...@googlegroups.com
Oh, wait a second here -- it's totally GTFS now.

Awesome!g

Ethan Arutunian

Oct 13, 2010, 6:33:18 PM10/13/10
to mtadevelop...@googlegroups.com, David Turner

It is _nearly_ GTFS, but it is missing some columns compared to the
other data sets.

The most critical of these for me is the "direction_id" column in the
file "trips.txt". It's the only missing column that we rely on that
column in our system (needs to be 0 or 1). I'm probably going to have to
figure out my own direction ID's based on the Headsign, but I can tell
already there are some cases where it could get tricky.

Other than that, I'm able to get this to work as GTFS by simply adding
the missing columns (but not filling in the data).

Would it be possible to get Direction ID's? That would be awesome!

-ethan

Brian Bush

Oct 21, 2010, 1:18:28 PM10/21/10
to mtadeveloperresources
Yeah, any chance we can get the Direction ID's?

On Oct 13, 6:33 pm, Ethan Arutunian <j...@arutunian.com> wrote:
> It is _nearly_ GTFS, but it is missing some columns compared to the
> other data sets.
>
> The most critical of these for me is the "direction_id" column in the
> file "trips.txt". It's the only missing column that we rely on that
> column in our system (needs to be 0 or 1). I'm probably going to have to
> figure out my own direction ID's based on the Headsign, but I can tell
> already there are some cases where it could get tricky.
>
> Other than that, I'm able to get this to work as GTFS by simply adding
> the missing columns (but not filling in the data).
>
> Would it be possible to get Direction ID's? That would be awesome!
>
> -ethan
>
> On 10/13/10 3:19 PM, David Turner wrote:
>
> > Oh, wait a second here -- it's totally GTFS now.
>
> > Awesome!g
>
> > On Thu, 2010-09-30 at 16:57 -0400, David Turner wrote:
> >> The file is not GTFS.  I believe it comes with a PDF explaining what it
> >> is and how to use it, but if not, please check the archives of this
> >> list.
>
> >> I half wrote a converter to GTFS but got distracted; I am looking for
> >> someone who has some time to finish it off:
> >>http://github.com/novalis/ImproveMtaGtfs

Brian Bush

Oct 21, 2010, 3:34:13 PM10/21/10
to mtadeveloperresources
yeah can we get the Direction ID's?

On Oct 13, 6:33 pm, Ethan Arutunian <j...@arutunian.com> wrote:
> It is _nearly_ GTFS, but it is missing some columns compared to the
> other data sets.
>
> The most critical of these for me is the "direction_id" column in the
> file "trips.txt". It's the only missing column that we rely on that
> column in our system (needs to be 0 or 1). I'm probably going to have to
> figure out my own direction ID's based on the Headsign, but I can tell
> already there are some cases where it could get tricky.
>
> Other than that, I'm able to get this to work as GTFS by simply adding
> the missing columns (but not filling in the data).
>
> Would it be possible to get Direction ID's? That would be awesome!
>
> -ethan
>
> On 10/13/10 3:19 PM, David Turner wrote:
>
> > Oh, wait a second here -- it's totally GTFS now.
>
> > Awesome!g
>
> > On Thu, 2010-09-30 at 16:57 -0400, David Turner wrote:
> >> The file is not GTFS.  I believe it comes with a PDF explaining what it
> >> is and how to use it, but if not, please check the archives of this
> >> list.
>
> >> I half wrote a converter to GTFS but got distracted; I am looking for
> >> someone who has some time to finish it off:
> >>http://github.com/novalis/ImproveMtaGtfs

Aaron Donovan

Oct 22, 2010, 7:07:54 PM10/22/10
to mtadeveloperresources
Brian,

I'm afraid we don't have direct control over the MTA Bus Company
schedule data format. It has been graciously and painstakingly
converted into GTFS as a favor by good folks who work as contractors
to the New York State Dept. of Transportation. I'm told that it would
be difficult to make any new changes to the format.

-Aaron

Ethan Arutunian

Oct 23, 2010, 2:44:36 PM10/23/10
to mtadevelop...@googlegroups.com, Aaron Donovan
Hi Aaron,

Thanks for getting back to us. We all appreciate the hard work you guys
are doing over there to make this data available.

We've had lots of requests from Roadify users for these buses, so we're
still hoping to make it work. If I'm able to come up with the direction
ID's, I will send the updates your way.

-ethan

John Larsen

Oct 24, 2010, 12:01:11 PM10/24/10
to mtadeveloperresources
I am looking at the trips for the Brooklyn busses (downloaded today),
they have direction Id's associated with them. After spot checking the
other boroughs, they all seem to have direction ID's.

Joe Hughes

Oct 25, 2010, 5:29:43 AM10/25/10
to mtadeveloperresources
It's worth pointing out that the GTFS spec defines direction_id as an
optional field [1]. If you have any interest in using your software
for other cities, it may be worth finding a way to make it work on
data without direction_id fields.

Cheers,
Joe

[1] http://j.mp/9s1f1v

Ethan Arutunian

Oct 25, 2010, 5:08:59 PM10/25/10
to mtadevelop...@googlegroups.com, Joe Hughes

That is correct, it is optional in the spec. However, as Google indicates:
"This field is not used in routing; it provides a way to separate
trips by direction when publishing time tables."

That's how we're using it in Roadify -- to separate trips by direction
when publishing time tables. Pretty handy. It also allows us to
consolidate different trips, which might have two different head signs,
as going in the same direction.

Thanks for all the feedback. We're still hoping to find a way to use
this data.

-ethan

Ethan Arutunian

Oct 24, 2010, 12:19:29 PM10/24/10
to John Larsen, mtadevelop...@googlegroups.com

Got me excited, but I'm referring to the fileset entitled "Bus Company"
(not New York City Transit - Bus). The DirectionID column is normally
found in the "trips.txt" file. I only see these columns:

route_id, service_id, trip_id, trip_headsign, shape_id

Fileset says it was updated July 15, 2010. Are you seeing something
different?

Thanks!
-ethan