Re: MSYS Git

Johannes Schindelin

Aug 29, 2010, 1:39:23 PM8/29/10
to Earnie, msy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Earnie,

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010, Earnie wrote:

> Let me introduce myself as the creator of MSYS. I'm interested in
> determining the changes made to MSYS by the Git team so that we can
> merge the forked code into MSYS proper. If you can please point me in
> the right direction for the code differences and the proper lists to use
> it would be beneficial to both of us. I have used the MSysGit product
> and would be pleased to help merge the changes back into MSYS.

The changes done to MSys in the context of msysGit can be found here:

http://repo.or.cz/w/msysgit.git/tree/msys:/src/rt/patches

i.e. in /src/rt/patches/ in the 'msys' branch.

I Cc:ed the msysgit list.

Ciao,
Dscho

Earnie

Aug 30, 2010, 9:05:53 AM8/30/10
to Johannes Schindelin, msy...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Johannes. My goal is to port the changes back to MSYS. I've
completed a preliminary view and will be asking questions about some of
the patches but will review the lists for possible earlier discussions
first. Do I have each patch providers blessing with applying their
patches, maybe modified slightly, to the official MSYS source?

Earnie

Johannes Schindelin

Aug 30, 2010, 12:49:52 PM8/30/10

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010, Earnie wrote:

> Johannes Schindelin wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 24 Aug 2010, Earnie wrote:
> >
> > > Let me introduce myself as the creator of MSYS. I'm interested in
> > > determining the changes made to MSYS by the Git team so that we can
> > > merge the forked code into MSYS proper. If you can please point me
> > > in the right direction for the code differences and the proper lists
> > > to use it would be beneficial to both of us. I have used the
> > > MSysGit product and would be pleased to help merge the changes back
> > > into MSYS.
> >
> > The changes done to MSys in the context of msysGit can be found here:
> >
> > http://repo.or.cz/w/msysgit.git/tree/msys:/src/rt/patches
> >
> > i.e. in /src/rt/patches/ in the 'msys' branch.
> >
> > I Cc:ed the msysgit list.
>
> Thanks Johannes. My goal is to port the changes back to MSYS.

Great!

> I've completed a preliminary view and will be asking questions about
> some of the patches but will review the lists for possible earlier
> discussions first.

Great, too!

> Do I have each patch providers blessing with applying their patches,
> maybe modified slightly, to the official MSYS source?

I am very certain that you do. After all, all these patches are implicitly
the same license as MSys, and were done with the intention of getting them
back into MSys after some testing. We never intended to fork. There is
even a ticket on our bug tracker to get everything we did back into MSys.

Ciao,
Dscho